burnt hair smell

fatimablush

hello..

i went to get my hair done last saturday...last saturday you..i got it cut real short since i am going to transition. the stylist blew it dry and flat ironed and curled my hair. my hair smelt burnt then and almost a week later..it still smells burnt!:lachen:

i have washed it several times..deep conditioned and conditioned with perfumy smelly products that are now beginning to irritate my scalp. and to top it off my SO's friend is having a get together and of course we have to go and my hair still smells burnt under my wig.. I HAVE JUST ABOUT HAD IT..this is the second time this year this has happened to me.
whenever i do my own hair it never smells like this. Eww! my hair smells worse than my brother's dogs when they are in the rain.

HELP..how do i get rid of this nasty smell.

Tahnk goodness my mommy wig came today..i am going to order several more over the course of the next few months..so if there aren't any in stock ..blame fatimablush..seriously how do i get rid of this smell..

Help me!:lachen:

BonBon

I'm glad you have a sense of humour about it!. I don't know the answer but I have had the smell before and it went away after washing with shampoo.

Mrs. Verde

I get the burnt hair smell EVERY time I get my hair done. Without exception. It take 3 washes to get it out.

Nonie

I'm wondering if you still have the smell because some strands got burned so that they're what's not helping because they're still hanging around with their cooked protein smell. I don't know what can help. Maybe get a hair freshener like Clean or Salon Selective Air it Out, but I think they may have alcohol in them.

What I can suggest is next time do your own hair and coat it well with a heat protectant. I did and there was no burnt hair smell, during my two flat iron passes or after or even when I wet my hair.

Last edited:

djkforeal

I really don't think you should be laughing about this OP because you may have some seroius heat damage! Have you ever tried to set a piece of shed hair on fire? That smell is awful and you know exactly where that smell came from. That is exactly what those heating tools can do to the hair on your head if it is too hot. You should wash it and see if you in deed have heat damage and try to stay away from heat for a while. Usually when we do our own hair we are careful about the heat settings and make sure to put heat protectant on our hair to reduce the chances of it smelling burnt.

Last edited:

Nasdaq_Diva

I really don't think you should be laughing about this OP because you may have some seroius heat damage! Have you ever tried to set a piece of shed hair on fire? That smell is awful and you know exactly where that smell came from. That is exactly what those heating tools can do to the hair on your head if it is too hot. You should wash it and see if you in deed have heat damage and try to stay away from heat for a while. Usually when we do our own hair we are careful about the heat settings and make sure to put heat protectant on our hair to reduce the chances of it smelling burnt.

Exactly my thoughts. OP, was any heat protectant used at any point in time (during blow out or flat iron, or curling?

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
BUMP

ireally hope yu get that smell off yu.

burnt hair smell is always never there after istarted using heat protectants o_0

fatimablush

I'm wondering if you still have the smell because some strands got burned so that they're what's not helping because they're still hanging around with their cooked protein smell. I don't know what can help. Maybe get a hair freshener like Clean or Salon Selective Air it Out, but I think they may have alcohol in them.

What I can suggest is next time do your own hair and coat it well with a heat protectant. I did and there was no burnt hair smell, during my two flat iron passes or after or even when I wet my hair.

This is what id o when i do my own hair..the so called stylist did this to me.:lachen:

fatimablush

BUMP

ireally hope yu get that smell off yu.

burnt hair smell is always never there after istarted using heat protectants o_0

OMG..i am beginning to think she didn't use anything on my hair..:nono:

so called professional..:nono:

i am beginning to think i should bring my own products since this is the second time this happened.

fatimablush

i have to laugh to keep from crying..
believe me the tears are now falling!!

fatimablush

Exactly my thoughts. OP, was any heat protectant used at any point in time (during blow out or flat iron, or curling?

she pour something on her hands , rubbed them together and applied that to my ahir. when iased her what that stuff was she put it back in her cupboard! i know it wasn't silk elements heat protector because it smelled way more perfumey.

i am sooooooooo mad!

omg..all of this frustration tears is pouring from my eyes..
i have washed my ahir a total of 10 times..

Pompous Blue

I haven't had a flat iron or direct heat on my hair since '08. Now y'all got me scared to ever put direct heat to my tresses.....SMH!

fatimablush

i have also tried rollersetting it without using my bonnet hair dryer and it will not hold any curl and is dry and very very dull...

i know what you guys are going to say!!

after i finish crying i will just play with my mommie wig that i am going to wear tomorrow nite and pray that the burnt hair smell is gone.

thanks ladies.

newgrowth15

Try mixing 3 parts water with 1 part apple cider vinegar. Rinse your hair with this mixture--it should take the burnt smell away and the vinegar smell dissipates a few minutes after you use it. Added benefit, it's pH balanced,

OhSoOthentik

OP, I know how you feel. I am in the same situation. I put egg in my hair yesterday and it seemed to help. That burning hair smell is so frustrating.

Your Cheeziness

OP, I know how you feel. I am in the same situation. I put egg in my hair yesterday and it seemed to help. That burning hair smell is so frustrating.

Cosigning on protein. I had severe heat damage when I was relaxed and a protein regimen with Aphogee reconstructor dramatically helped with consistent weekly use.

MsLizziA

I buy hair perfume from Sephora.. works like a charm and my hair smells like cotton candy.. speaking of which, i need to go restock.