Burned again! Help me find a solution, ladies!

T

Tee

So, I had a relaxer a few days ago with Mizani mild lye. I burned in my "burn spot" (the area where I always seem to burn in the back of my head, right below the crown). This is the second time using the Mizani, and I had great success with it the first time, but this last time was the exact opposite. I had made sure to oil my scalp with castor oil for about 4 days before the touch up. My stylist had to comb my new growth a little before applying the relaxer because it was a bit tangled. This probably contributed to the burning.

I have a big dilemma, ladies. I really don't want to go back to using no-lye because my hair was a mess when I was using no-lye relaxers! It could have been because I wasn't taking care of my hair back then as well as I do now, but I know that my hair definitely looks and feels healthier with the lye.

I'm going to talk to my stylist about relaxing half of my hair at a time. Since my burn spot is in the back and this area also happens to relax quickly, I could have her apply the relaxer there first and then rinse it out and neutralize that area before finishing the rest of my head. Does this sound like a reasonable plan of action? Also, if I go with this approach, is it better to use a stronger relaxer that processes faster so that I can get it out of my hair sooner? Some stylists have suggested this to me, and it kind of makes sense to me. What do you ladies think about this?

I welcome any and all suggestions for getting over this hurdle!

Is it possible that area of your scalp is damaged. If she combed that particular area before relaxing then I would think that is the main culprit you burned in that sensitive spot.

I don't know about suggesting to her a method to applying the relaxer differently I'm not sure how that will go over but, you know what it really wouldn't hurt for you to ask her.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you find a resolution!

No, I don't think so. The hair there is healthy and the scalp also looks fine. I never have any problems in that area other than when I relax.

I'm also very interested to know if there is a lye relaxer that is more sensitive to scalps than most. I am not burning, but my scalp gets scaly and dry the next day and I start shedding (dermatitis).

I drench my scalp in castor oil (but not the hair) and use Mizani sensitive scalp. Even after scratching like crazy before my last texturizer I didn't burn at all. Try this or another base. I base my scalp at least once every two days starting the week before the relaxer application.

I know you said you did scalp pretreatments, but did she base you ALL over herself right before she applied the relaxer (I hate when stylists call themselves basing you, and they only get the edges instead of going through the whole head)? I burn pretty easily, and for me the only thing that really works as base is Vaseline. I've had stylists use a menthol-based grease to base my scalp, but nothing works like plain old vaseline.

You should also give pine tar hair grease a try, too. It is an excellent base but it smells awful. I try to use it before every relaxer and it definitely works. Otherwise, I would never put it on my scalp. It smells too bad!!!
grin.gif

I would say make sure she's rinsing the area properly (perhaps extra) and perhaps on the second wash perhaps leave the neutralizing shampoo on for a few moments. Also make sure the towel has no residue from the relaxer after she wraps your head in it.

[ QUOTE ]
keez1979 said:
You should also give pine tar hair grease a try, too. It is an excellent base but it smells awful. I try to use it before every relaxer and it definitely works. Otherwise, I would never put it on my scalp. It smells too bad!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never even heard of this! It sounds like it would be hard to wash out. Is it? Can you tell me where I can find this?

Re: Burned again! Help me find a solution, ladies

[ QUOTE ]
HOTCHOCOLATE said:
Maybe you should allow your stylist to relax your burn spot last. Or apply to your burn spot 2-3 minutes before she rinse.

[/ QUOTE ]

This and use a milder lye relaxer like Affirm or PCJ. I'd find a stylist who could apply the relaxer without touching my scalp. Your hair dresser's technique has been consistently not-so-great if you've noticed this pattern in previous touchups.
frown.gif

You can get pine tar grease at any beauty supply store. I have the Bronner Bros. brand. Be warned: it smells even worse than Sulfur 8 and Wild Growth Oil!!! It is not hard to wash out at all. It has the same consistency as that of regular old hair grease. It's black in color and apparently is very good for dandruff control and thinning hair.

Thanks, Keez! Does this stuff wash out easily?

My stylist did not base me all over. She only based the areas where she made the parts to apply the relaxer and around my ears and forehead.

Back