ORS Lye users, mom says it burned almost immediately...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
My mom's SORRY excuse for a stylist switched from using Dudley's lye relaxer to Soft & Beautiful No-Lye :crazy: without telling my mom and my mom has no idea when. I've been urging her to find out what relaxer the stylist is using since she' been complaining of dryness issues with her hair. So she finally asked and found out it was Soft & Beautiful.

I told her that I wanted her to start taking her own relaxer to the salon with her and I sent her to Sally's to pick up the ORS Lye, medium strength. I selected this one based on some reviews I've seen here and elsewhere online and I wanted it to be something that was readily available.

The stylist has always based her scalp, even with the no-lye relaxer. The ORS Lye claims to be a "no-base" but I told mom to get based anyway. She did, but she says that the relaxer seemed to start burning pretty quickly.

I am wondering :scratchch if the stylist did something that made her burn quickly like apply the relaxer too heavy too early or put it right on her scalp. My mom said she acted kind of funny when she asked what relaxer she was using and asked her if she could bring her own, so I wonder if she was trying to "prove" something to my mother.

I guess my question is, have you all had burning with this relaxer???????

TIA

ajoyfuljoy

I agree with you, sounds like the stylist could have been trying to prove your mom wrong. If she put it directly on the scalp it most definitely would have started burning quickly.

Keen

Have your mom being scratching her scalp? or has her scalp being itching?

Stylists like to scrub your scalp when they are shampooing your relaxer out. I don't know where do they get that from but I tell them not to do it on me. To me, that would irritate the scalp and can possibly cause burn (especially if you have sensitive scalp or you've been scratching). My theory is that once the perm hit the scalp it start irritating your scalp. If any part of your skin is exposed to heat, what do you think scratching it would do to it?

Khaiya

^I was just gonna ask this, or maybe she wasn't based properly. I use ORS Lye too and it burns really fast if i've been scratching my scalp or if i dont base. As long as i base my scalp properly i get it in and out in about 20 minutes with no burning at all.

ETA: If possible, have her base her scalp herself before going to the salon with something heavy, like regular hair grease like Blue Magic or something, i have some Doo Gro and African Pride i'm trying to finish up and i use that to base my scalp, its thick so the cream has more to work through before it can get to your scalp.

Last edited: