Bunning question...

afrofaithful

Is using a sock bun considered a ps? Just wondering...and how do you shorter hair ladies bun? Just looking for some tips!! Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

mrsjohnson75

IMO, yes a sock bun is a ps.

When my hair wasn't long enough to pull back into a ponytail to do a sock bun, I would braid the sides back, put it in a small pony, and tuck the ends under.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I would say that it is a protective style, as long as you keep your hair in that style and not have to re-do it every day.

Fhrizzball

I can't sleep in a sock but but as long as your ends are tucked away I consider it protective I bun daily and but my hair in two plaits every night. Also try to cover the sock with satin or some smooth material so it won't catch and dry out the hair. And for shorter hair styles I guess it depends on how long your hair is. My hair only hangs at mid neck when really stretched.

For buns I use a ponytail holder and then pin the ends under. You can also use a banana clip and then pin the ends that way as well. Fanning out the hair and pinning works for me too. HTH

An_gell

how do you put satin over your sock bun..sew it??

That's what I did. I have had this sock bun forever. I discovered over the summer that the plain cotton sock was drying out my ends and causing massive dryness and breakage in the middle of my head due to the cotton soaking up all the moisture in that area. So what I did was take some old satin spandex shorts that I usually wear to the gym under my PT shorts and cut them and sew the material around my bun. It was not neat or anything and really hard to hold the bun in the shape it is in and sew around it, but it's still hanging on strong and my hair has prospered from it. I'm in the military and if a female's hair hangs past the uniform collar it has to be up so I bun about 5 days out of a week cuz I have too or cut my hair to chin length (been there done that) so that's why I had to come up with a better way to be in regulation and protect my hair. I've gained some good length since I did this and stop with the excessive heat. I love buns can't wait to have a massive bun that takes up most of my head..:grin:

CurlsBazillion

I'm so glad I found this thread!! I've been wondering about this for sometime now because i want to try daily or every other day moisturizing for retention. these cornrows and single braids/twist aren't doing it for my thirsty hair . I did the sock thing in middle school but now I know to sew or glue on some satin!!!