Bumpy hair = raised cuticles? (velcro/sticky hair)

simplyhair

I recently examined a few hair strands that had shedded. They all were bumpy and not smooth. Is this normal? I mean, I usually look for the white bulb and go about my business. So, does this mean my cuticles are raised causing Velcro/sticky hair?

I have tried EVERYTHING that has been mentioned here about combating velcro/sticky hair. You know, when your hair sticks or hugs together. I only started noticing it within the past six months or so. At least I don't recall it happening before...I could be wrong.

I have used Roux PC or ACV final rinse faithfully since I've noticed this problem with no change. My hair is tangle free after using these products but the next day after I airdry, it's velcro city.

So, I thought maybe it's the products.

Leave-ins:
Aphogee ProVitamin Leave in (airdry completely gives me super soft hair:yep:)
QP HTwo

Moisturizers:
Bee Mine Luscious
Bee Mine Bee Loved
QP Recovery (don't scream cuz of the MO :grin:)
BB Growth Lotion
HSilky 14in1

I’ve been switching between moisturizers (for a period of time) trying to determine if it’s the product. I really do not believe the problem is with the products. I do not brush my hair. I only detangle under the water on wash days with a seamless comb.

I just do not get it. I have been on my hair journey since 2003. I believe my routine and regimen has been on point. My only setbacks have been during postpartum periods due to shedding. I get my ends trimmed or dusted regularly. What could be wrong? My current stylist confirms that my hair is so healthy. She always compares my hair to her other AA clients (she is white). Sometimes, she doesn’t even want to trim ends. This is so crazy to hear this from her but I see something else going on.

I wish I could pinpoint when this started happening. I really suspect the change may have happened when I moved to this rural, hick town. There is a farm in the back of my house. The water is hard water. Does that make a difference? I know we are always trying to clean the hard water deposits on the sinks and refrigerator. It literally is impossible to remove from a surface if you don't stay on it. So, can the hard water damage my hair?

Forgot to mention, I airdry always. Usually I spray my leave-ins then apply my moisturizer and seal. Lately, I have applied my leave-in, airdry completely, then apply the moisturizer and seal w/EVCO or a blend). Still...velcro hair.

Is my hair permanently damaged or what? Please I cannot stand to hear cut it all off. I’m going to the stylist today for a touch up (Mizani sensitive). I plan on showing her what I’m talking about and see what she has to say. She does not pull the relaxer thru...only applied to the new growth.

I really appreciate any help with this.

Last edited:

WyrdWay

Yeah I know hard water can mess your hair up, a lot of ladys on the hair journey that have hard water keep a jug of distilled water for rinsing or get a water filter. You should do a search for hard water, and hopfully someone that has or has had it will respond.
Good luck!

I only have a suggestion for the raised cuticle. I do a cold water rinse everyday after my conditioner wash. It really helps to smooth and soften my hair. HTH.

simplyhair

I only have a suggestion for the raised cuticle. I do a cold water rinse everyday after my conditioner wash. It really helps to smooth and soften my hair. HTH.

Yeah I know hard water can mess your hair up, a lot of ladys on the hair journey that have hard water keep a jug of distilled water for rinsing or get a water filter. You should do a search for hard water, and hopfully someone that has or has had it will respond.
Good luck!

Right, I use cold water and/or distilled water with my ACV.

bimtheduck

use a clarifying/chelating shampoo and lather rinse reapt a few times maybe. rinse with cold water and try going cone free.

lovelexi

you should try using a porosity control conditioner or shampoo. i have yet to try but have heard good reviews. if your hair cuticles are raised that means the ph level of your hair is off (im no expert just going off of some knowledge i gained. im sure someone can come in here and tell you exactly what going on) if the ph of your hair to alkaline then try to get it a bit more acidic. try visiting this thread PH Balance Database!