Building your collection of hair tools - shopping for price, longevity, brand etc?

naturalmanenyc

I am looking at blow dryers (although I rarely blow dry my hair) and some of the prices are much higher than I remember when I was last shopping for a blow dryer (Conair 1875).

I get it that one bad blow dry job could ruin my hair that I am working so hard to grow out. But really, the prices seem to be skyrocketing for hair tools (blow dryers, flat irons).

When you shop for hair tools, do you shop based on price, longevity/warranty length, brand recognition, features?

Re: Building your collection of hair tools - shopping for price, longevity, brand etc

I'm in the market for a blow dyer as well but I don't want to spend arm and a leg also. So I guess price

Re: Building your collection of hair tools - shopping for price, longevity, brand etc

Well I shop 75% on recommendation. I do take price into consideration. It just depends on what's going on with me financially at the time.

I admit that I do put a lot of stock into reviews and recommendations made on this site. So I usually do a topic search and see what I can dig up.

I do recommendations and reviews first...and then try to find the price point that will work for me. I would buy the least expensive, highest quality I could find. I bought my current blowdryer(ionic, tourmaline) I can't think of the brand off the top of my head from Marshalls. Check them out...TJ Maxx and Marshall's have high quality brands for less than 40.00!

I go by reccomedations on brands that aren't sky high in price.

I go by brand recommendations then do my own research for those same features for a better price. Conair has a lot of good quality tools with the same features as the pricey professional brands. Ebay & Craigslist are my right hand buddies:)

I am looking at blow dryers (although I rarely blow dry my hair) and some of the prices are much higher than I remember when I was last shopping for a blow dryer (Conair 1875).

When you shop for hair tools, do you shop based on price, longevity/warranty length, brand recognition, features?

I shop for quality and longevity. Since I am a DIY, if I am saving money by not having the service done professionally, then I should invest in quality products and tools. When I was relaxed, I used salon products exclusively(mainly Mizani/Biolage and Nexxus before they went mainstream). Now that I am natural, I am more flexible about products---but I still like top quality tools.

This is my thinking as well, to get quality tools that will last, since I have been DIY for about 2 years with the exception of 2 braid installs and about 5 salon blowouts.

However, some of the tools are sooo pricey - $240 for a FHI hair dryer.:nono:

I shop for quality and longevity. Since I am a DIY, if I am saving money by not having the service done professionally, then I should invest in quality products and tools. When I was relaxed, I used salon products exclusively(mainly Mizani/Biolage and Nexxus before they went mainstream). Now that I am natural, I am more flexible about products---but I still like top quality tools.

build quality + service quality(does it do what it says it does), although sometimes i admit ive bought things because they were pretty (black tattoo print flatiron) .......:nono:

Sometimes you get what you pay for......

I buy based on longevity and review. I'm fairly price unconscious because I am such a DIYer and what I'd pay to have someone else do my hair 2-3 times will equal the tool I just bought. I bought my FHI Runway based on Lucky's Mom's review, and I am too pleased with it! I didn't pay the full price, but it wasn't cheap by any means. But for me, it was worth it to have to do just one pass and not 3-4. I feel the same way about curling irons and blowdryers, though the ones I have now more than suffice.

Sometimes you get what you pay for......

and sometimes you don't.........

I consider the entire package when I shop for tools. I look for quality, warranties, reputable brands, longevity, reviews, features, design, and price point.

I totally agree. I bought the FHI Runway as well and only had to use 2 passes (at 450 degrees) to seal my BKT. I had been using 5 - 7 passes with my Maxiglide on 430 degrees. I have that treatment down to about $20 instead of $100 - $250 at the salon. DH and I did my BKT at home 3 times now so technically I have already saved at least $240 by not going to the salon.

I also bought a Pibbs dryer which DH and I both use (deep conditioning, rollersetting & drying his locks).

I don't have any updated curling irons. In fact, I hid my old curling irons in 2007 and just found them about a month ago. I don't use curlingirons on my hair anymore but instead use the flat iron, rollers or I pin curl.

I guess I need to research blow dryers & curling irons.

I buy based on longevity and review. I'm fairly price unconscious because I am such a DIYer and what I'd pay to have someone else do my hair 2-3 times will equal the tool I just bought. I bought my FHI Runway based on Lucky's Mom's review, and I am too pleased with it! I didn't pay the full price, but it wasn't cheap by any means. But for me, it was worth it to have to do just one pass and not 3-4. I feel the same way about curling irons and blowdryers, though the ones I have now more than suffice.

i do recommendations, google, amazon (for reviews) and do a lot of price comparisons before i buy..ive learned spur of the moment purchases sometimes result in me overspending...hate that

Back