BSL/MBL 2015 Challenge

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
So i went to get my hair straightened i was trying to avoid length checks til the end of my stretch but i did want to see if there was any signs of improvement since i removed and changed some things but i don't think theres any change :sad:

maybe i just reached my terminal length? i feel like theres no point in even trying anymore :sad:

I know how u feel. I have been Apl forever and a day. It's like I can see the finish line, but whenever I get close it's trim time :sad:

I doubt you are at terminal. You are probably just having a stall right now. Hide your hair for a few months and see what happens :)

iLurk

I know how u feel. I have been Apl forever and a day. It's like I can see the finish line, but whenever I get close it's trim time :sad:

I doubt you are at terminal. You are probably just having a stall right now. Hide your hair for a few months and see what happens :)

At least yours actually moves though i have yet to even experience getting my hair close to my brastrap. I have been the same length since last june i've tried everything under the sun by now and its just sitting there. i dont think im a slow grower because even the slow growers went from sl to bsl in less time than me.

at this point i am really considering just going bald it seems like i have nothing to lose now and im tired of looking at it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
iLurk Noooooo!! I know you are discouraged, but cutting your hair will put you even further from your goal. Are you having any issues with shedding or breaking? Those 2 things are retention killers :(

iLurk

@iLurk Noooooo!! I know you are discouraged, but cutting your hair will put you even further from your goal. Are you having any issues with shedding or breaking? Those 2 things are retention killers :(

i did have some shedding problems but i pretty much fixed that by removing the sulfur products i used. i dont think its breakage my stylist didnt even say anything about the condition of my hair when i visited yesterday and she usually says something when its in bad shape. im really at a loss because i really have no clue whats going on.

bluenvy

FollicleFanatic are the two pics you post timeframe the same? Your hair looks to hit mbl in any day now. And when you pull that shrinkage down, your hair almost doubles in length. Looks great.

iLurk what have you been doing to your hair for the past year? Imo hair thrives when left alone. In my case bunning helps me get to where I want to be. Can we see your comparison pics just to rule out if you suffer from hair anorexia?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Today is wash day :yay: I'm going to use my new Kerastase mask (Oleo Relax).

Question: How long does your washday routine take?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My wash routine usually takes about an hour. I only leave my dc in for 20 minutes or so. Then I airdry my hair for a bit before I detangle and rebraid my hair.

quirkydimples

I'm at about an hour. If it's a protein week, I put that on first (10 min.), then shampoo in the sink, then DC (20 min.) and rinse in sink or shower.

I air dry, then apply product and bun or air dry, apply product, blow dry, and flat iron.

bluenvy

Wash day is about 30-45 minutes. My dc smooths out my hair giving good slip that my wide tooth comb glides through. Ms, I put up in a wet bun and that's it.

iLurk

@iLurk what have you been doing to your hair for the past year? Imo hair thrives when left alone. In my case bunning helps me get to where I want to be. Can we see your comparison pics just to rule out if you suffer from hair anorexia?

Been doing protective styling throughout the fall/winter usually hidden under wigs or buns.

When I first started i was doing low manipulation styles. rarely use heat or straighten.

1st pic is from september 2nd is from today

bluenvy

iLurk your hair looks thicker since September. When you secure your buns how are you treating your ends? I do a loose, not too loose bun, wrapped my hair around the bun, than gently tuck my ends inside and secure with a few pins. Of course my ends are moistured during this time.

Your hair is beautiful and a lot of women would love the length you are at now. You can turn this around. You are apl, it took me some months to get past apl so you are not alone.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
iLurk how often are you trimming? I only grew 3 inches last year and the 1 trim I got took off 2 inches. Slow growers have to trim less to see any growth. I know it isn't fair :sad:

FollicleFanatic

FollicleFanatic are the two pics you post timeframe the same? Your hair looks to hit mbl in any day now. And when you pull that shrinkage down, your hair almost doubles in length. Looks great.

Thank you. Yes they both were taken a few days ago. My hair appears to be the same length as my starting length check pic. Before that it was still the same length. I have trimmed, but I almost went cross-eyed making sure I only trimmed any splits and ssks. Like 1/4"-1/2" and that was months ago. When I do my routine I have very few broken pieces and my ends are holding up nicely. So at least it's healthy.

I've been cleaning up my eating and drinking more water, maybe that will translate over to my scalp lol. Also need to step up my inversion game too. I usually just invert, no warm oil or scalp massage. Will be more consistent with working out now that my family crisis is over and I'm finally back home. Maybe I should join the hair growth and weightloss challenge..

I feel better with that off my chest now :lol:

bluenvy

^^^Your hair looks like it's growing. From your length check last month to now and including a trim. Your hair is growing. It's hard to see growth when we look at our own heads everyday.

Water is your friend. I drink 8-10 cups water daily and I believe it improves my hair health and growth, also my skin glows.
And welcome back home.

FollicleFanatic

^^^Your hair looks like it's growing. From your length check last month to now and including a trim. Your hair is growing. It's hard to see growth when we look at our own heads everyday.

Water is your friend. I drink 8-10 cups water daily and I believe it improves my hair health and growth, also my skin glows.
And welcome back home.

I guess I'm having a case of hairexia. Thanks for the encouraging words and it's good to be back!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
FollicleFanatic you should join us. The ladies in the Hair growth Weight loss challenge are so supportive and they don't judge when you slip up :lol: I have an on and off love affair with chocolate :blush:

Nah, but seriously we would love to have you :grin:

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I bought a Kerastase masque today and I got 2 free travel shampoos and 3 sample conditioners. I am so excited. Kerastase is the best product line I have ever tried. If I had the money I would exclusively go to Kerastase salons :yep:

iLurk

@bluenvy when i bun i usually have my hair in 4-6 celie braids then i pull them back and tie them with a scrunchie that i dip in oil and then i usually leave it under a satin scarf. Usually my ends are off my shoulders but not tucked into the scrunchie

@Prettymetty i try to get a light dusting in every 8 weeks and the amount of hair i take off is so tiny its not a noticable change in length.

bluenvy

@Prettymetty i try to get a light dusting in every 8 weeks and the amount of hair i take off is so tiny its not a noticable change in length.[/QUOTE]

Every 8 weeks wow that's a lot. I'm not into a dusting schedule, scissors touch my hair once or twice yearly, and I take quarter inch off. Your ends are nice and uniformed but see if you can manage without so many dustings.

Mjon912

Since my 4 year old is home sick from school i decided to make today a wash day and do the works...currently pre pooing with some oils and deep conditioner, going to shampoo and condition later, add some roux porosity control, the deep condition and add a semi-permanat clear gloss and let that sit then roller set and finally flat iron! I'm in for a long day but we are going to Georgia this weekend for my SiL'S birthday and she's turned it into a HUGE party so being newly engaged i definitely want to show off =) after this weekend I'm putting in braids for a while

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have put off washing my hair for 2 days. Today is the day yall. No more excuses. I'm going to shampoo my hair and dc with Kerastase Oleo relax mixed with Alter Ego.

Eta I just smoothed a walnut size of coconut oil into my hair and put on a satin bonnet and turbie towel. I will let this prepoo do it's work until I shampoo later this evening.

Last edited:

Leo24Rule

Hello everyone!

Since my engagement I've been on a strict veggies, fruit, and water diet with only protein for dinner. I'm eating like 5/6 meals a day. Gotta fit into a wedding dress and look good in one...OK! (finger snap)

I've been bunning my hair for the last 2 weeks or so keeping the mid-shaft to ends heavily moisturized. And I'm constantly doing the GHE method as well as taking both my multi-vitamin and Hair pills.

Anaisin

I think bsl is 2 inches away. My hair at full apl is like 10.5 inches, I think 14.5 in will be mbl on me.

PlainJane

Girl you can do it! Bsl is pretty much guaranteed. We may have to work for Mbl :lol:
I'll try. I've been on this board way too long not to be at least full APL...especially when I can right a book on all the right hair practices and products- I just don't do them smh.