BSL/MBL 2014 Challenge

Putting in braids this weekend. So mad, I bought 7 packs of Vivica Fox's hair for 1.99 and it was only enough to do the front of my hair. That has never happened to me before. It normally takes about 5 packs of hair for my whole head, when I get my hair done at the braiding salon. IDK, if it's because I added more hair this time, but that's why I bought 7 packs instead of my usual 5. So now I have to go to Sally's and get some more hair. I looked at the website and I saw that they have the Jumbo braiding hair, so I'm going to buy that.

I will not be buying Vivica's hair anymore.

My twists and pony tail. My sister did these. I will keep them in for a couple weeks.

ForumRunner_20140525_122033.jpg

ForumRunner_20140525_122048.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

I'm about halfway thru making a small batch of f.a.k.e. cacao bark. :look:

My house smells AMAZING.

image-2831664358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Duchess07, what does the bark do? Is it a conditioner? That does look like something to eat.

It's a b.a.s.k. conditioner:

image-1784009692.jpg

After days of stress, over-styling, and mistreatment - your natural tresses could use nothing more than just good old-fashioned "comfort food" to indulge in. Our "look good enough to eat", bitter chocolate hair mask gives your hair that sweet retreat it's been craving!

We take a base of pure premium cocoa butter, coconut cream, & kukui moluccano oil - fold in nutrient-rich amalaki fruit & conditioner beads for detangling - and finish off with drizzles of amber agave nectar. The result is the most decadent chocolate dessert for your curls to feed on!

Using a wide tooth comb - part freshly washed, damp hair into large sections - apply chocolate conditioner & gently comb through. Cover hair with a plastic cap & allow the chocolate treatment to soak for a minimum of 30 minutes (use a steamer for an even more intense treatment). Rinse thoroughly with warm water. Results will be ultra soft, moisturized, & "satisfied" tresses!

FULL INGREDIENT LIST:

Distilled Water
Prime Pressed Cocoa Butter
Virgin Coconut Cream
Kukui Moluccana Seed Oil
Agave Nectar
Behentrimonium Methosulfate
Raw Cocoa Powder
Amalaki Fruit Powder
Cetyl Alcohol
Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride
Butylene Glycol
Phenoxyethanol and Ethylhexylglycerin

Naturally aromatic of dark chocolate (no additional fragrance added) - with a texture similar to soft chocolate icing.

This is mine before it set:

image-1713803671.jpg

I used:

Water (5 oz, warm)
Cocoa butter (5 oz, melted)
Coconut milk (13.5 oz can, cooked down and reduced to about half)
Coconut oil (2 oz, melted)
Coffee oil (1 oz, added to melted cocoa butter mix)
Coffee extract (5 drops, added after cool)
Agave nectar (2 T, added after reduction)
Cocoa powder (2 T, added to condensed coconut milk)
Glycerin (2 T, added after cool)
Vitamin E (1 t, added after cool)
Behentrimonium (3 T)

I still have not finished my braids. I have one small section in the back to do. Hopefully Ill finish it tonight. I was going to have them to my waist, but I'm going to cut them to MBL. I was planning on finishing them yesterday, but I had a REALLY bad fall & severely fractured my big toe. The fall scared the mess out of me, so I was alittle frazzled.

Still hoping I can claim MBL by end of June, but in reality it will probably be July. My hair has always grown a bit slower in the middle but I'm not inclined to try to even it out right now. When I get to WL, I'll worry about that! :)

I'm concerned that my growth is not moving fast enough...but I think it's just the watched pot syndrome! So of course it's time to hide it for a bit. I'm definitely getting braids or twists in August for my cruise, but I think I need to do it once before then.

Pic 1: not really showing growth but just showing a fully straight pic

image-1556231668.jpg

Pic 2: my wash n go Sunday

image-156639648.jpg

Pic 3: pic of freshly straightened hair

image-1763485138.jpg

Pic 4: another back pic

image-4054331702.jpg

Still hoping I can claim MBL by end of June, but in reality it will probably be July. My hair has always grown a bit slower in the middle but I'm not inclined to try to even it out right now. When I get to WL, I'll worry about that! :)

I'm concerned that my growth is not moving fast enough...but I think it's just the watched pot syndrome! So of course it's time to hide it for a bit. I'm definitely getting braids or twists in August for my cruise, but I think I need to do it once before then.

Pic 1: not really showing growth but just showing a fully straight pic

Pic 2: my wash n go Sunday

Pic 3: pic of freshly straightened hair

Pic 4: another back pic

So pretty and I love your happy smile...so genuine! I had the same problem with thinning in the center and had to cut about 5 inches off. I'm glad I did because its growing back nicely...no more watching pots boil for me ;-).

KiWiStyle I was wondering if my flakes were product build up, but they started before I had added product. I'm getting ready to wash and bun. I hope that makes my flakes go away. If I figure anything out I'll let you know. It's very strange for it to appear all of a sudden. Here's to both of us figuring it out.

It turns out there must have been product left on my scalp because my scalp is flake free, YAY!! GettingKinky

[USER=323671]KiWiStyle[/USER];20133271 said:
So pretty and I love your happy smile...so genuine! I had the same problem with thinning in the center and had to cut about 5 inches off. I'm glad I did because its growing back nicely...no more watching pots boil for me ;-).

Thanks girl! That's Awesome! I will probably be trimming within the next 2 weeks. My back center is a different hair type than the rest of my head; it needs a little more TLC.

Thanks everyone for your get wells. I finished my braids on Monday. I will try to upload some pics today or tomorrow. I'm hoping that the braids will help me retain the 2-3inches I need to make MBL.

Thanks, @tsmith! Can't wait to see your next LC pic! :lick:

@Duchess007. I have hair anorexia. I swear. I clip at my ends often because I'm trying to thicken them up. I am soo looking forward to my next TC up. I'm trying to see how long I can go because this touch up I will see alot of NG and hopefully my hair will be grazing my lower back. We'll see in June:grin:. I am so enjoying this journey. HHJ

Last edited:
Thanks girl! That's Awesome! I will probably be trimming within the next 2 weeks. My back center is a different hair type than the rest of my head; it needs a little more TLC.

jprayze girl who are you telling?!? The area just above my nape...I swear its from somebody else's head, lol.

Here r the pics of my braids.

Prior to putting the braids in, I finished cutting off the relaxed ends of my bangs (I thought I didn't have anymore relaxer on my bangs, but I was wrong) and put some twists in. I luv how juicey they look.

Last edited:
Back