Breakage in the crown - best solution?

peacelove

Hi, ladies. I constantly have trouble with hair breaking in my crown. I have growth in the back, but it gets thinner towards the ends because the crown is not growing - it is breaking. What is the best solution? Should I just cut layers into my hair? Or should I try to leave it alone and let it grow? I think part of the problem is that my crown gets new growth quick and it breaks where the relaxed and new growth hair meet. I don't like doing relaxers too soon though, because my front hair grows much slower.

Just can't firgure out the best course. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Healthb4Length

It sounds like you need a deep treatment like Emergencee or Aphogee along with moisturizing treatments. If you are handling your hair rough then it will break off. YOu have to be as gentle as possible. What kind of styles do you do to help both textures of your hair work together and minimize breakage? Do you moisturize your ends with oils or butters (shea, avocado etc)? Have you considered conditioner washes, they really soften your hair and allow detangling to be much easier. Please let me know, and I hope that some of my suggestions helps. Good luck.

peacelove

Hi, Alli - I have been putting my hair in a ballet bun. I did a motions CPR treatment a week ago, and I use always indian hemp on the ends of my hair. But I feel like the middle of my hair is so tangled that even when I comb with the wide tooth it breaks. Maybe I need heavier moisturizing conditioners. I try the CO washes sometimes, but my hair is also fine and I feel like it gets weighed down by the product. Maybe if I find a lighter moisturizing conditioner?

Thanks for the feedback!

lvmyhur

Wow! you are my hair twin! I have been battling the same problem for a long time. Lately, I have been surging, moisturizing and wearing braids. The braids have really helped.

GinnyP

Peacelove, I have the same problem except my crown area was completely bald after a strong relaxer was put in, and a weave was put in to cover the bald spot with glue kept it bald for 9 months. it has grown out alittle only to break off again. It was growing last week then something happen I don't know what! I am so frustrated
and confused I have tried everything from not relaxing it for several months which caused breakage to relaxing it which helps some then it breaks off again. Please someone please help me. I have tried the aphogree treatments I keep my hair oiled and moisturized a lot I take good care of it just the crown area is the problem.

GinnyP

[ QUOTE ]
lvmyhur said:
Wow! you are my hair twin! I have been battling the same problem for a long time. Lately, I have been surging, moisturizing and wearing braids. The braids have really helped.

[/ QUOTE ]I wanted braids but a stylist told me it would cause more breakage to that area that my hair would become weaker,this is the same stylist that told me I needed a relaxer every 4-6 weeks.

Babygurl

I, and all the women in my family, have ALWAYS had a problem with breakage in the crown, its like a "weak" spot. I just pay more attention to this area, moisturize it more and I am very gentle with it. I also try not to wear any style that will put stress on that area. My crown breakage is non-existent, it is almost even with the rest of my hair.

Mariaat40

[ QUOTE ]
peacelove said:
Hi, Alli - I have been putting my hair in a ballet bun. I did a motions CPR treatment a week ago, and I use always indian hemp on the ends of my hair. But I feel like the middle of my hair is so tangled that even when I comb with the wide tooth it breaks. Maybe I need heavier moisturizing conditioners. I try the CO washes sometimes, but my hair is also fine and I feel like it gets weighed down by the product. Maybe if I find a lighter moisturizing conditioner?

Thanks for the feedback!

[/ QUOTE ]

Peacelove, are you trying to comb through the new growth at the crown when your hair is dry? You and I have similar hair types and - at 11 weeks post relaxer - I only comb my hair root to tips when it's wet. Better yet, when I'm standing under the water stream in the shower.

peacelove

[ QUOTE ]
lvmyhur said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped surging for a while - maybe I will go back. I feel like my hair is too fine for braids, otherwise I would braid in a minute!

peacelove

[ QUOTE ]
Babygurl said:
I, and all the women in my family, have ALWAYS had a problem with breakage in the crown, its like a "weak" spot. I just pay more attention to this area, moisturize it more and I am very gentle with it. I also try not to wear any style that will put stress on that area. My crown breakage is non-existent, it is almost even with the rest of my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad I am not alone you guys!
Baby, your bun is wonderful! Is that a ballet bun? Do you twist the hair around to get that? I don't have as much hair, but I am trying to do better buns.

Babygurl

Hey Peacelove, all I do is put my hair in a ponytail, coil the hair around until it starts to coil around the base of the ponytail and use another scrunchie to secure.

peacelove

[ QUOTE ]
Mariaat40 said:
[ QUOTE ]
peacelove said:

Thanks for the feedback!

[/ QUOTE ]

Peacelove, are you trying to comb through the new growth at the crown when your hair is dry? You and I have similar hair types and - at 11 weeks post relaxer - I only comb my hair root to tips when it's wet. Better yet, when I'm standing under the water stream in the shower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, sometimes I comb it dry. And it is shedding like crazy. I am in need of a relaxer big time!

Leslie_C

ladies, I also suffer from this problem, and it just happens out of the blue. I remember a year or two ago I had an area at the crown break off to 1" long. well over time it grew out and just this past relaxer I noticed it had happened AGAIN! I wish I knew how to prevent this because it takes like a year to grow back!

Stretching relaxers isnt my friend, maybe it happens since this is the coursest part of my hair? I moisturize like crazy(2 times or more a day at times!) and it doesnt help. my hair just breaks off for no reason sometimes...

at least this time I have enough hair to conceal it...last time it showed bc I had a short flip style and that part just stuck out.