Help...How do I stop breakage at the crown?

bbdgirl

Ladies,
I need your help. My hair grows at a decent clip, but the hair at the crwon area never seems to catch up. It has always grown like that and I accepted that that is just how my hair grows, but I see women on the board with extremely long hair that is long from the crown and even with the rest of their hair. How do you do it?
What else do I need to do to make this hair stop breaking?:wallbash:

Well, mine stop breaking when I stop wrapping it so much. HTH

Ah hah...I had a feeling this was the culprit! I have been wrapping my hair for the last 2-3 years. I didn't notice the short hairs because all of it was short. Now that it's growing out, I can definitely tell the difference. Dang, I might have to lay off the wrapping.:ohwell:

But it was like this even when my hair was natural. Since High school b4 i started wraopping my hair. But then again it is like a whole different texture. when i add water and grease or gel to my hair to make nice coily curls it never resposnds. It is just rude and rough. Not nappy just frizzy and refuses to coil, curl or grow. I know that I can't change the texture but how do I retain length?

my thoughts: (I also suffer from crown breakage periodically)

This might be the dryest/coarsest/weakest part of your hair...since many of us have more than one texture, maybe u get breakage there bc u treat it the same way as the rest of your hair.

You will have to start paying extra attention to it...always apply extra conditioner to that area, extra moisturizers/oils, and massage it to encourage growth. The last time I got breakage there it was during a long stretch and I was wearing a lot of wash n go's...my hair would be extra dry in the top of the back area and thats where it broke.

I also have a feeling that since its the outermost layer of hair...thats where environmental elements reach the hair first. I live in hot florida so Im sure the sun beaming on it dried it out even more. So basically its a moisture,moisture,moisture thing. And Im also using indian oils and powders along with henna to hopefully make it strong enough to where it wont break off anymore. Ive notices my hair is much stonger and has more elasticity since Ive started this.

Thanks LeslieC,
you opened my eyes esp. regarding the wash and gos, that's when I noticed this type of breakage the most. you are right I guess that I will try to treat that part of may hair differenently. It sure feels like totally different hair. I am gonna Dc my hair tonight and I'll remember togive that area extra care

Thanks a bunch!!:drunk:

I used to have this problem, but I started using Mizani H20 nighttime treatment on this section as well as my nape. It really made a huge difference. This stuff is very light, but works well.

I was told this part of the head is manipulated a lot and that contributes to the breakage in this area.

Thanks LeslieC,
you opened my eyes esp. regarding the wash and gos, that's when I noticed this type of breakage the most. you are right I guess that I will try to treat that part of may hair differenently. It sure feels like totally different hair. I am gonna Dc my hair tonight and I'll remember togive that area extra care

Thanks a bunch!!:drunk:

ITA with Lesliec, keep those problem areas well moisturized. That's what i do and it works.

I realized when I began to grow my hair out from the BC that I have a "cowlick" in my crown area. My hair grows in a circular pattern there which caused for more breakage when the relaxer was applied. Now after I press it, I allow it to do its own thing without over manipulating it. When that area was smoothed during the relaxer application it caused breakage because the smoothing process went against the natural way my hair was growing.

I am not sure if this makes sense...

I am improving my crown breakage by
  • Taking supplements: Multi, Iron, Silica, MSM, and EFA
  • Massaging with Emu, Jojoba, and essential oils
  • Monitoring the progress of this area, being gentle with this area
  • No heat
  • Deep conditioning twice per week
  • Satin Scarf
  • Seamless Combs
  • Daily exercise
  • Healthy diet with a balance of raw fruits and veggies, whole grains, and protein.
  • I am also very positive and becoming better at being patient. I am seeing results from the changes that I have made :)

Since I originally posted I have been paying extra attention to the crown by DC and protein cond from Profectiv and I have seen some improvement. Just by consciously making an effort to care for that spot and not assume that the breakage is inevitable I have seen my hair start to catch up.
But luckily that is the only thing that I don't like about my hair.

Back