Braidouts on natural hair

locabouthair

Do your braidouts come out better if your conrow them or if you do little box braids? Do you braid your hair wet or do you braid it after it is dry? How do you sleep with them? And are there any specific products that are absolutely needed for a braidout? like a gel, spritz, moisturizer?

blue_flower

I make individual braids while my hair is still damp. I used to use avocado butter, but I haven't used it in a long time. I basically use whatever's on hand, grease or M.O.M. If I want more curl at the ends, I use perm rods. When I go to sleep, I just put my hair in a loose ponytail and put a silk bonnet on. You could do cornrows for your braid outs as well.

Nay

Everybody does it different. You just have to try this and that and see how your hair responds.

My hair comes out the best when I braid or twist my hair while it is wet (keeping a spritzer bottle handy to re-wet my hair if it starts drying before I'm finished). And I do box braids or twists instead of cornrows.

I sleep with my hair gathered into a loose ponytail with a silk scarf covering it.

As far as products, some people use shea butter or mango butte. Some people use curl activator. Some people use hair grease. Again, you just have to try different things.

Do a search on the word braidout, and you should get a ton of links that may be helpful.

locabouthair said:
Do your braidouts come out better if your conrow them or if you do little box braids? Do you braid your hair wet or do you braid it after it is dry? How do you sleep with them? And are there any specific products that are absolutely needed for a braidout? like a gel, spritz, moisturizer?

moda

locabouthair said:

I do individuals, maunly because I cannot cornrow well. I braid my hair while it is wet. I normally throw ouchless bands on the ends and throw on my satin scarf. What you use will all depend on your hair, many people rave about mango/shea butter, and it did nothing for me. I would recommend a great moisturizer so that it does not appear dry, I have never needed gel or spritz.

Isis

I'm not natural, but I'll bet most of us wore braidouts on our natural hair when we were little girls, we just didn't call it that. I remember my natural hair being braided after it was washed, with some kind of hair grease on it and left braided for a few days. Later, usually on Sundays for church, my braids would be taken out for a pretty braidout.

One can do the same thing as an adult on natural hair, with great results.

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
2 cornrows on dry hair that I moisten with some water & oil when they're done. I let them stay over night.