Braidout question for Fine 3c/4a ladies

wofford16

You can interpret Fine however you feel like today as in Fine (I know I look good) :yep: or Fine texture hair because I mean both :lachen:

Yesterday the girls and I went swimming so I did a DC and threw my hair into two ponytails and crashed so this morning I wake up late and take the two braids down fluff a little bit and head out the door. When I got to work this morning I realized that this was in fact my first real braidout and although it was still a little damp I was somewhat disappointed with the results.

I know by the end of the day I will be channeling my inner Tina Turner since I will be going for a run during lunch so it will be in a ponytail real soon. I know with my fine hair, it doesn't allow me to do many styles that I find so cute but I would like to try this style again without the rush out the door.

How do you ladies achieve your braidout styles? How long does this style last and what do you do to perserve it? Products, routines, and pics are ALWAYS welcome!!!! :lick:

Here is a pic of my hair today and PLEASE excuse the grey...I am still working on embracing my grey but my Henna is calling me.

Attachments

• 100_0630.jpg
    100_0630.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0633.jpg
    100_0633.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 107
I would suggest you try more braids, use some type of product to set the style and make sure you let it dry completely. That's the most important part. If it's not totally dry when you take it out, it will frizz.

^^Thank you for your suggestion, I have some Eco Styler and Aloe Vera Gel so one day I will try one and then the other to see which one works better. I can see how more braids might work as well and this time I will sit under a hair dryer if I am pressed for time.

I agree with glamazon :yep: My 3c/4a frizzes at the sight of humidity so when I do a braidout, it must be dry before taking out. Sometimes I coat my hands with oil to unbraid my hair so I don't disturb the curls as well.

^^Thank you for your suggestion, I have some Eco Styler and Aloe Vera Gel so one day I will try one and then the other to see which one works better. I can see how more braids might work as well and this time I will sit under a hair dryer if I am pressed for time.

You can let it dry overnight and then take it out in the morning. That's what I normally do. I hate sitting under the dryer.

I agree. I would add more braids. For bigger hair, I would use less product. For a more stretched out look, more product. I usually braid at night on damp, on re-moisturized hair, sealing ends with oil.

Here is my you tube video on my braid out. Please excuse my poor editing skills, LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqREdIyBOXY

Here are some of my pics on recent braidouts.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20100526_2.jpg
    Snapshot_20100526_2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Snapshot_20100524.jpg
    Snapshot_20100524.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Dang, freecurl, your hair is ca-yuteeee....

Well, glamazon already beat me to what I was going to say -- more braids and product. I actually like twistouts more than braidouts, as my hair tends to look more frizzy and less defined when I do braids. In either case, I do 5 cornrows (or 5 flat twists) and let 'em set overnight before taking my hair down. My conditioner usually provides the hold I am looking for, so I don't use gel a lot when setting my hair.

Good luck!

You can let it dry overnight and then take it out in the morning. That's what I normally do. I hate sitting under the dryer.

Yeah, for whatever reason that is not going to work with me since that is what I did last night and it was still a little damp when I woke this morning. Maybe if I had more braids they would have dried all the way.

I agree. I would add more braids. For bigger hair, I would use less product. For a more stretched out look, more product. I usually braid at night on damp, on re-moisturized hair, sealing ends with oil.

Here is my you tube video on my braid out. Please excuse my poor editing skills, LOL.

WOWZERS!!!!! I love your hair...can't wait till I get home to view the youtube video...

I just had a hairgasm looking at your hair!:lovedrool:

I am at work with no pictures on my work picture, but I can send you some later...

Personally I think bigger is better so I think your hair is pretty, so if you are looking for more of a flatter look then mine might not be the best!

Once I am out the shower I divide my hair in 4 sections. (it is already detangled because I detaangle in shower with conditioner) I apply a leave in conditioner and moisturize and seal I use a bronner bros foaming wrap with no alcohol, I also use to use lotta body and that gives you a tighter look but I think it has alcohol in it.

I usually do 6 twists to the back, but this time I tried 8 , 4 in the front and 4 in the back, and I feel my hair was more defined...

I usually dry it for about 30 mins and go to sleep.

I do mine about twice a week only because I workout and sweat in my head and just feel like I need a good cowash!!!! They can last for about a week. After the first night I either sleep in a satin bonnet or just do two french twist.

I agree more product will help the volume, and I also play with mine, like pin one side back, or wear it half up, or even in some updo thing!!!

Personally I think bigger is better so I think your hair is pretty, so if you are looking for more of a flatter look then mine might not be the best!

I agree more product will help the volume, and I also play with mine, like pin one side back, or wear it half up, or even in some updo thing!!!

Thank you for your response, I love the volume too but I wanted more curl definition and I believe since it wasn't completely dry may be the reason why I didn't get it...don'tknow..

I run 2-3 times a week with coworkers and that was another issue I see with me wearing this style so this may be strictly a weekend hair style for me.

Okay well I think its was because you need more braids...My front is never really dry and that is where my 4A hair is and so my curl isn't as spirally of course,but it still turns out fine!

I am sure it will work out well!!!

my nape area is very soft 3c and must be dry before I take the braids or twists out. The front and middle are more 4AB so it can be a little damp but not the softer stuff unfortunately.

If dry that area holds well when the braids/twists are taken down for over 2-3 days..

Sealing with Castor Oil on twists/braids was the cure to my frizziness. Now that the hair is longer the smaller twists work well!

Thank you.

Dang, freecurl, your hair is ca-yuteeee....

Well, glamazon already beat me to what I was going to say -- more braids and product. I actually like twistouts more than braidouts, as my hair tends to look more frizzy and less defined when I do braids. In either case, I do 5 cornrows (or 5 flat twists) and let 'em set overnight before taking my hair down. My conditioner usually provides the hold I am looking for, so I don't use gel a lot when setting my hair.

Good luck!

Oh yeah when you are braiding your hair is your hair completely wet or do you allow it to air dry a bit. I think since I braided it completely wet is the reason why I had a lot of shrinkage too.

Oh yeah when you are braiding your hair is your hair completely wet or do you allow it to air dry a bit. I think since I braided it completely wet is the reason why I had a lot of shrinkage too.
For the first day, I like to braid on freshly washed, detangled wet hair. Then on subsequent days, I use the spray bottle to wet it, add more conditioner, then braid. I like the way my hair looks on a dry braid out, but I found I had more breakage.
MEEETOOO!!!
Your voice is sooo soothing too! LOL
I want to try this as my hair is fine and also I don't have a lot of strands per square inch.
Thank you so much. You have such beautiful hair. I have been stalking your hair for a while now.:grin:

For the first day, I like to braid on freshly washed, detangled wet hair. Then on subsequent days, I use the spray bottle to wet it, add more conditioner, then braid. I like the way my hair looks on a dry braid out, but I found I had more breakage.

Thank you so much. You have such beautiful hair. I have been stalking your hair for a while now.:grin:

:) Thanks. Mutual admiration here. I just watched the twistout one and I like your idea of not twisting tight to give some depth to the hair and deal with the scalpiness. I've subbed to your channel.

I'm so glad you posted this OP. I was going to post a similar question.

Okay. The strands in the front of my hair are very fine. So everytime I do a braidout or twistout, the front of my hair has absolutely no crinkle by the end of the day. The rest of my hair will be fine. It's just the very front, everytime. So, after reading the posts above, I guess I just need to use something to set it? I don't usually use a setting lotion or anything. Just my moisturizer and some oil or Super Skinny serum.

I'm so glad you posted this OP. I was going to post a similar question.

Okay. The strands in the front of my hair are very fine. So everytime I do a braidout or twistout, the front of my hair has absolutely no crinkle by the end of the day. The rest of my hair will be fine. It's just the very front, everytime. So, after reading the posts above, I guess I just need to use something to set it? I don't usually use a setting lotion or anything. Just my moisturizer and some oil or Super Skinny serum.

Ummmm.....WRONG. I tried it again last night. I used PM foaming stuff (not the foaming pommade, but the setting one). The front of my hair laughed at me. I started losing my crinkles before I even made it to work. :wallbash:

Back