Protective styles for Fine Hair

Opal1821

Hey ladies. I'm still a newbie, so I'm not sure if this topic has been posted. I've tried the bantu knots and a braidout, but they have come out less than stellar :ohwell: . I think it may be because my hair is fine and tends to fall flat. The rollerset and wrap is the only one that has worked well, but I lose hair during the wrapping process. Does anyone with fine hair have styles/tricks/products that have worked for you???

Fine-haired advocate checking in! Welcome to the forum. For low maintenence, or protective, styling, I pin my hair up in one of my trademark up-do's. I wore my hair like that for over a year as I grew my hair thicker. It's a good style because it is not tight, does not require a lot of products, and it is a great style after a rollerset. Also, I recently started wearing a doughnut bun. This is probably not the best style for my fine, fragile hair because I end up pulling my hair back tightly and hair gets caught up in the doughnut. Some girls have suggested covering the doughnut with satin. Also, braids are also good if your trying to reach a particular goal. Good luck!

My hair is fine as well. I would love to be able to wrap it because an old stylist use to wrap it weekly after a wash and set and it grew fastest and retained length better, but like you, I loose too much hair when I do it myself. My results come out really good, but I just can't stand to see all that hair I am loosing.

I rollerset and the first day or so, I will comb out with with fingers (after using a comb, paddle brush, and wrapping it and sitting under the dryer for an extra 15 minutes). I still have a lot of curls but it just gets rid of the parts. I agree with the updo. It's low maintenance, less stress on the hair (not too tight) and it looks cute (sexy):lol:.

At night, I pin it up in two pin curls and if you still want curls the next day, the trick to making sure you have them is to moisturize really good (I use NTM Silk Touch)....The next day when I take the pin curls down, I just hold my head upside down, shake it, and then toussle my hair with my fingers. If I want to wear it straight, I just wrap at night.....

ETA: I do loose buns and french twists (few pics in my album) but they don't work well on my hair when it is freshly relaxed because it looks pitiful and skimpy; my hair needs to be at least 8 to 10 weeks post relaxer for it to look like anything)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips ladies! I hate the "pitiful and skimpy" looking hair, so I'm really trying to thicken it up. Do you think the products we use for the roller sets could be causing the shedding?

I am soo glad to see this post :) ... I too have fine hair and I can't seem to stick to a regime because I can't do a protective style. I can't wait to see more suggestions...

My hair is fine too; since my layers have grown out, I've resigned myself to wearing a bun every day. Any suggestions for alternatives (besides getting my hair cut of course) would be appreciated.

ETA This style might be a possibility.

Last edited:
Back