BRAIDERS out there: Share you techniques for getting box braids tight

lwilliams1922

Can you help? I'm doing my own braids for the first time. I'm 4a shoulder length natural. So far the braids look ok but I can't seem to get them close to the scalp. I know it's not good to have them TOO tight and pulling at the scalp but mine just hang out with out ANY tension or even touching the scalp.

Is there something I'm missing? How do you get/keep the braid tight?

TIA

lwilliams1922

I'm using extensions. I can't seem to get the added hair close to my scalp.
It looks like a few weeks of new growth.

lilyofthenile

I'm using extensions. I can't seem to get the added hair close to my scalp.
It looks like a few weeks of new growth.

Ok.

I tend to section off hair and then section the piece I want in the braid, making sure it is a very clean section.

I tend to moisturise that piece of hair and then add a pomade so that there are no fly away hairs. You can use a butter instead. I twist that piece of hair into one direction at the root (the pomade/butter kind of helps it stay twisted for that small period of time). I then grab the extension and create a loop around that hair with it and braid into the direction of where I twisted my hair in.

That should make the braid really close to the scalp and secure and not tight. This worked for me. Not sure if I explained it clearly though :perplexed

lwilliams1922

Ok.

I tend to section off hair and then section the piece I want in the braid, making sure it is a very clean section.

I tend to moisturise that piece of hair and then add a pomade so that there are no fly away hairs. You can use a butter instead. I twist that piece of hair into one direction at the root (the pomade/butter kind of helps it stay twisted for that small period of time). I then grab the extension and create a loop around that hair with it and braid into the direction of where I twisted my hair in.

That should make the braid really close to the scalp and secure and not tight. This worked for me. Not sure if I explained it clearly though :perplexed

that sounds like what I'm doing but I'm doing it on clean hair/no products as I think that would cause more slippage.

MzSwift

The gel/pomade/butter is supposed to help the extension hair "stick" to the hair. Maybe that's why yours are sliding. I never do mine without some kind of product, but I'm still a novice myself.

My mom does her own and she divides the section to be braided into two sections and then wraps the hair around the base. She then braids with two extension pieces (one include a piece of her hair) and one piece of her hair. As opposed to just two extension pieces and the one section of hair. HTH! :)

Nonie

lwilliams1922, you're not doing anything wrong. I don't know anyone who braids firmly with extensions the first time they do it. That will come with practice.

I never wrap the additional hair around the base. I just have it divided into two sections one being thinner than the other, then I cross the thinner hair in the middle over the thicker strand as if making a + sign and fold the hair over so that the ends of the thin sections meet. (See #1-4 below ) So now I have 3 sections. I usually place that cross over section at the base of the hair I want to braid; ie behind my hair and using my thumb I hold the cross over point against the base of my hair and my index finger or middle finger holds the front of my hair, so between thumb and middle finger I firmly hold the hair in place. (#6) I then use the fingers of the other hand to pull out 1/3 of my hair to match it with one arm of the extension hair. I then use the thumb and fingers of the hand that was free to hold hair in place while the other hand is free to pull out the arm on the other side of my hair that will match the arm of the extension hair, leaving the central arm.

Then I start braiding #7, making sure that there's a thumb and finger of one hand is holding the hair while index finger reach over to grab extension hair and my hair together to bring them over central section. (I braid over, not under.); then transfer the base hold to other hand's fingers. There's no pulling; just making sure that my fingers and thumb are holding the extension hair against my own hair.

The photos below were my attempt at showing what I just described but I obviously failed miserably. :lachen: #9 was taken to show you that you should not be holding your hair so high up from the cross over point while braiding . You need to do it like #10 shows. Fingers should be close to the cross-over so you can do a good braid. #8 just shows that your own hair should be divided into 3 parts like the extension hair.

But don't expect to be good on your first or second or third try.

The way I got it was first I got my first install done by my stylist, then I'd undo one in the back and try to redo it. Then I'd try with another. I also had my baby sister to practice on. After a few lousy attempts, I was able to redo all my braids working on one at a time. After that, I never looked back. So just know practice will make perfect.

Last edited:

Tamster

anyone have any tips for braiding box braids... and twists tightly at the root without hair? i can braid the length well but for some reason i cant get near my root, even when i start there, by the time im done it looks loose and the end result is usually a braid out with puffy roots that i have to disguise.

Nonie

Tamster, do you hold your hair at the base when you start braiding? If you scroll up to the image I posted for lwilliams you can see what I mean. You need to have your fingers very close to the part you're crossing over #10. You can't hold it like #9 :nono: as if you're scared of your scalp.

Twists are a lot trickier and take practice to get it right. I twirl each strand before I twist and I start at the base. But after I wash, the base does get puffy, which I don't really mind. Most people find that they have to braid the base before twisting to get a good firm twist.

fiyahwerks

I've been braiding since I was 14. I box braid my daughters hair regularly and I french braid mines. It takes practice and patience to get close to the scalp without gripping or braiding tightly. I suggest not using any products when doing this and maybe using a spray bottle with water to dampen the hair first before braiding. Do not pull or tug when braiding the hair. Nonie is preaching the braid bible commandments when she states, "But don't expect to be good on your first or second or third try. "

So don't give up!

Practice is the key though.

Also, what size are you braiding the braids? Big? or small? Bigger braids are a challenge to get close to the scalp for me.

Last edited:

trendsetta25

Can you help? I'm doing my own braids for the first time. I'm 4a shoulder length natural. So far the braids look ok but I can't seem to get them close to the scalp. I know it's not good to have them TOO tight and pulling at the scalp but mine just hang out with out ANY tension or even touching the scalp.

Is there something I'm missing? How do you get/keep the braid tight?

TIA

Check out my YouTube channel. I have a video showing how I did my box braids. The link for my channel is in my signature.

HTH

Royalq

Tamster, do you hold your hair at the base when you start braiding? If you scroll up to the image I posted for lwilliams you can see what I mean. You need to have your fingers very close to the part you're crossing over #10. You can't hold it like #9 :nono: as if you're scared of your scalp.

Twists are a lot trickier and take practice to get it right. I twirl each strand before I twist and I start at the base. But after I wash, the base does get puffy, which I don't really mind. Most people find that they have to braid the base before twisting to get a good firm twist.

Nonie how do you twirl then twist? I got kinky a few months ago qnd my braider twirled tightly while ahe was twisting. I guess she was really skilled so it was easy for her to do. The twists came out so beautiful, tight ( the twist itself not the scalp area). I wish i could recreate that but when i twirl then twist the twirl unravels and leaves me with a ugly puffy twist. Any tips?

Nonie

Nonie how do you twirl then twist? I got kinky a few months ago qnd my braider twirled tightly while ahe was twisting. I guess she was really skilled so it was easy for her to do. The twists came out so beautiful, tight ( the twist itself not the scalp area). I wish i could recreate that but when i twirl then twist the twirl unravels and leaves me with a ugly puffy twist. Any tips?

Royalq you're probably twirling in the wrong direction. You're supposed to twirl both strands one way, and then wrap them around each other in the opposite way. So if you twirl them both clockwise, then you must wrap them anticlockwise, and vice versa.

In fact what you will find is they will automatically wrap around each other the opposite way when you twirl them one way--which helps with speed. And because it's a natural response to the twirling for them to wrap around each other, they hold well.

Here's a slow vid showing what I just explained: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

It looks like it would take long but Nix08 has mastered it and can tell you it's not as hard as it looks.

lwilliams1922

I've been braiding since I was 14. I box braid my daughters hair regularly and I french braid mines. It takes practice and patience to get close to the scalp without gripping or braiding tightly. I suggest not using any products when doing this and maybe using a spray bottle with water to dampen the hair first before braiding. Do not pull or tug when braiding the hair. Nonie is preaching the braid bible commandments when she states, "But don't expect to be good on your first or second or third try. "

So don't give up!

Practice is the key though.

Also, what size are you braiding the braids? Big? or small? Bigger braids are a challenge to get close to the scalp for me.

size may be an issue??My braids are a little larger than average.

I got it done yesterday but I think I'll redo the braids in the part, maybe once a week or so till I get better at getting them in close.