Braiders/Braid Wearers

SweetNic_JA

Has anyone been able to achieve this look? I can't for the life of me, find the type of hair that creates this look at the end of the braids. Robin says she used synthetic hair to do this but I can't find anything similar in Connecticut or NY.

This is the closes I've come to this look and I used Marley braids. I would loveeee to try this look. Please help!!!

cherish

That's a pretty pic of you, I love those earrings. I agree that you just need to not braid all the way to the ends.

Bobbie

I agree. Leave the ends hanging, but to make sure they stay put, place them in boiling water for 30 seconds so they don't unravel.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I also think that she does bigger braids than the ones in your pic. You do have to braid the hair all the way down and dip them in just boiled water.

Ocean

Hi, I'm new but I think I can help. I have her Plaits video (I don't recommend buying it because it's not very thorough and shipping takes a long time). She shows how she achieves this look. Use "kanekalon" hair, cut it to whatever length you want to use or leave it long if you want braids long like hers, take the amount of hair that you're going to use to make a single braid, hold this in the middle with the ends down so it looks like the letter "n" then use the thumb and index finger of your free hand pull the ends a little until they look thin and scraggly (is that a word?)-(do this to both sides); it's called "stretching" the hair I think.

Put the braid in your hair and braid down to where you can't really braid anymore because when you get to about an inch or so from the end, you'll find that you can't really comfortably continue to braid because the ends have gotten too thin (see how her ends are very thin?). I think you'll see what I mean once you make the braid. When you're done braiding, just dip the braids in hot water for about three seconds. Don't dip too many braids at once because for some reason that'll lead to tangling (she says this on her video too). After I did my whole head, I dipped my braids in the hot water in five sections to prevent tangling. HTH

lovelymissyoli

I’ve achieved this look…correction…my braider has achieved this look on my hair by braiding the synthetic hair down 2 inches past where my real hair ends and then after she is done she dips the ends in water either on the stove, or that she has placed in the microwave. I’ve even gone without dipping my hair. The hair that I use is the 100% Kanakelon hair that says “Black & Gold” on it. Don’t get it mixed up because I know there is another brand out there with this same name and it’s not as good. HTH.

SweetNic_JA

It looks like dipping is the way to go. I've tried dipping in the past and I didn't get the desired effect. I also did that with these current braids. Normally, if I try this the ends look tangled and a bit knotty (that's why I ended up cutting my braids). I'll try this again though but I'll try making the ends thinner and I'll use the Kanekalon braids.

Thanks for the suggestions.

AJamericanDiva

I co-sign with what the others are saying... before braiding the length of the synthetic hair should be pulled to have a frayed look, not blunt, then dip it in hot water after braiding. Braid doesn't extend to the end. I also have the video and that was how I was able to self braid.

SweetNic_JA

[ QUOTE ]
cherish said:
That's a pretty pic of you, I love those earrings. I agree that you just need to not braid all the way to the ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw thanks for the compliment

AJD,
Thanks, I've give it a shot. I might redo my braids this month and this method.

ps. I hope the little ones are doing well.

LuvLiLocks

SweetNic, have u tried the synthetic hair that has the end curved? This might not be clear, but there is a Yakky braid which is curved at the end and it works very nice to achieve this look. See the fact that it is not cut blunt like the regular hair helps to create that effect when you leave the ends loose. This is just what I've noticed, no actual rule that I know of, just my thing.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
SweetNic_JA said:
[ QUOTE ]
cherish said:

[/ QUOTE ]

btw thanks for the compliment

AJD,
Thanks, I've give it a shot. I might redo my braids this month and this method.

ps. I hope the little ones are doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Girl! They're doing well... the kids, that is! I can't believe you're gonna redo those braids. They're pretty and sure look plentiful!!! Gyal, yu han' mus tired!!!

bettydavis

The important thing is not to cut them too much, to get that natural look. Just give them a light trim on the really long pieces, and kind of fray it as your cutting. I prefer that look rather than having them cut blunt...with the synthetic hair it looks too fake to me.