Braid Outs- Single Braids or Cornrows? Products?

PuddingPop

How do you get the best braidout- single braids or cornrows, or does it even matter.

I plan to start wearing braid outs on my relaxed hair more often and would like to know the best method and products.

I wear braidouts on my relaxed hair too (usually during the last six weeks of my 12 week stretch). When my hair was neck length, I really liked my braidouts better when set in cornrows. As it grew longer, the single braids looked better. Also, as it grew longer, I got less breakage with the single braids than the cornrows. When I say single braids, I mean something similar to cornrows, but going vertical down the sides and back of my hair instead of all rows going to the back of my head. I hope that makes sense. I may try individual braids soon.

When my hair was shorter and I had more thickness than length, cornrow, and flat twist outs were my best friend...

Now that my hair is longer I can get away with doing individuals braids and twist outs..

For you I recommend satin braid outs...

I prefer the look individual braids gives me, mainly because I prefer to put a sprial curl on the end with small rollers.

Here is a braidout with individual braids and the ends spiralled. I've seen some ppl call it a braid and curl braidout? I don't roll up that much of the ends but I like the look it gives. My hair was just past SL at this point.

CurlyBraidout014-th.jpg

CurlyBraidout013-vi.jpg

BraidoutUpdo015-th.jpg
BraidoutUpdo005-th.jpg

Here is a braidout with cornrows. I had it braided beneath my wig and decided to wear it out on wash day. My hair is APL in these pics.
117.jpg

121.jpg

*Sorry somebody was making me laugh in that last picture.

I always use Bee Mine Curly Butter for my braidouts. ALWAYS.

Last edited:
When my hair was shorter and I had more thickness than length, cornrow, and flat twist outs were my best friend...

Now that my hair is longer I can get away with doing individuals braids and twist outs..

For you I recommend satin braid outs...

What's a satin braidout?

Single braids.
I do my braidouts mainly on wet hair, and it's more manipulation trying to cornrow on wet hair.
I have to roll up my ends, it looks weird to me if I don't. I use either small perm rods, larger perm rods, or lately, flexirods. depends on what I'm going for.
Products: I love foam wraps, Keracare or Elasta QP, for hold and shine, and I use a leave-in underneath. Parnevu or Garnier.

I'm transitioning and I started out with single braids but my hair is so thin from heat damage that the braid-outs looked anemic. I was probably making them too small too.

I actually taught myself to cornrow last week and I'm getting better with practice. For me, I like the results better that I get from cornrows. I do two on the side and two in the back.

Right now I'm a little past SL, but I think single braid would work if my hair was thicker and longer.

Back