BRAID OR NOT TO BRAID

deon19

I made and appointment to get my hair braid on Sunday but I not sure.The type of braids that I plan on getting will be indiviuals but not braided all the way to the end . I just want other opinion about braids. I used to wear braids all the time like 4yrs ago and that time I really did not care about my hair. I just want other opinion . What to you do to maintain health hair care while wearing braids.

G

Re: BRAID OF NOT TO BRAID

It depends on how you feel. Braids are cute but IMO they are not worth the effort it takes to have them done and then have them removed. I don't think I could do it.

I have cornrows now due to an injury and it is nice not worrying about combing our styling.

I guess it depends on how long your gonna have them and if you'll be happy with the style.

QVEE

Braids are a good thing. when you get individuals make sure that they don't grab every piece of hair around the edges. they could then out or you can even have bald spots around the temple area. taking them out can be just as long as putting them in. If your hair is long and you should get them braided to the end of your hair because your hair may get puffy and the braids won't look right. I get braids all the time and they are just some of my experiences. but good luck.

L

ladybug

I HAVE BRAIDS AND ALWAYS WEAR THEM( PROB ON AND OFF FOR 5 YRS)..I PERSONALLY THINK IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PERSON...MY BRAIDS ARE VERY LOW MAINTNENACE I CO WASH THEM EVER SO OFTEN AND KEEP THEM CLEAN WITH A CLARIFYING SHAMPOO..AND THEN KEEP THEM MOISTURIZED LIKE ONE WOULD NORMALLY DO WITH THEIR OWN HAIR AND MY HAIR HAS ALREADY GROWN 2 INCHES AND I HAVE HAD MY BRAIDS IN FOR ABOUT 12 WEEKS..WITH TOUCH UPS IN BTWN..SO FOR ME THEY ARE GREAT...BUT THE REGIME IS NO DIF FOROM YOUR REGULAR REGIME JUST LESS CO WASHES...

Whisper

Hi

Moisturize with some type of spray. I had the kinky twists during the winter, and tried the Dark and lovely citrus spray.. this was very good for my roots and my length.
I also agree with ladybug with less conditioner washes..
Also,when they start to grow a lot around the edges.. get the edges redone to avoid lock-up

deon19

I going to keep them for a month . I am just tried of dealing with my hair right now and I think I need to give my hair a rest. The type is individuals there just not burned at the end. But I will try and see what happeneds

NYCchild

Deon i think its up to you and how you feel too. maybe you cans ask tha hairdresser to show you some magazines with pics of styles and see what grabs ya eye.

as for me i dont like em. ive been thinking out it for the summer growout challenge but wasnt sure. anyways... i took monday and tuesday to braid. finised tuesday evening. and sorry didnt like it. my head felt heavy and didnt think braids were for me i dont think it looked good on me or rather i didnt look good in braids. so as soon as i came back from prayer last nite sho-nuff i took em out!
im not saying this to discourage you at all - just wanted to share my experience.

good luck D. let us know how it goes

ngaa

lol nychild u must have not really had a problem with them if u took them out so soon after gettin them done....personally i love braids and am usin this method to grow my hair and will continue theis for the next 2yrs at least (obviously with breaks in between) and lik ever1 else said...make sure to keep yo scalp clean at all times and also to moisturise yo hair whilst still in braids and to make sure they are not too tight else u may lose hair instead of gian some

good luck and happy growin!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I am currently in braids. I did them myself. I love the braids. They are so easy to manage. I make sure I wash my braids once weekly with shampoo. I use cream of nature. Afterwards I use some sort of leave in conditioner. I spray my hair daily with braidspray to keep them moisturized. Sometimes in between washes I do a conditioner wash for added moisture and follow up with the braidspray.

Lee

I have braids in my hair right now, all I can say is please take care of your hair while in braids. Some people complain that their hair broke off while in braids. Meanwhile, they did not maintain their hair properly. This is how I maintain my braid hair style.
1. I wash my hair in the shower every other week.
2. On my non wash week, I clean my scalp with Witch hazel.
3. Every day I moisturize my hair with one of the following: oil, leave-in conditioner (I made my own) with pantene smooth and slick, distilled water and jojoba oil. Also, I use ORS Shea butter on my hair and scalp and I use a ORS olive oil sheen spray.
4. I use a satin scraf to bed for protection.
5. If the frizz gets out of control I use a small amount of alchol-free conditioning gel.

Sorry so long, however, I think it is important to take care of your hair while in braids to ensure healthy hair once you take the braids out.