''Boxed brand'' henna over permanent color?

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Hey Ladies :)

I finally convinced my mother to start using henna to cover her grays, but she's been dying her hair for years with permanent dye.

I've read that body art quality henna is the safest to use over colored/processed hair, my question is; do brands like Jamila and Reshma fall into this category? Has anyone used 'box' brands over permanently dyed hair? Or am I better off getting some from Hennaforhair or Hennasooq? She's natural by the way.

TIA

Pompous Blue

Hey Ladies :)

I finally convinced my mother to start using henna to cover her grays, but she's been dying her hair for years with permanent dye.

I've read that body art quality henna is the safest to use over colored/processed hair, my question is; do brands like Jamila and Reshma fall into this category? (yes) Has anyone used 'box' brands over permanently dyed hair? Or am I better off getting some from Hennaforhair or Hennasooq? She's natural by the way.

TIA
I am natural and use both Jamila and Karishma herbal henna. I purchased Jamila from hennsooq.com and Karishma from http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/. Both are good vendors to purchase from.

I don't use commercial dye; just henna to color my hair. I purchased Katam and Indigo from hennasooq.com and combined them to get the desired dark brown color I wanted. I used 50 grams of Katam (a brown plant dye) and 2 tbsp of indigo to make a paste. Let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes and combined it with my mixed henna. I use nettle tea and lemon to mix my henna into a paste (yogurt consistency). Since I have a steamer, I don't need to let it sit on my hair for 4 - 6 hours. I steam for one hour and afterwards my grays are covered; especially the ones around my edges. It took me lots of tries to get the color I wanted without my greys being a bright copper red. I hate that!

What color does your mother want her hair dyed?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm Relaxed and I use Body Art Quality Henna (and Indigo) for Mehandi.com for Chemically Relaxed and African American Hair.:yep:

I haven't tried the Brands you listed.:ohwell: But BAQ Henna works great on my hair. The Indigo gives shine like no bottle color ever could:nono:.

And I feel, it keeps getting better with time. i.e. the more you do it, the richer your results. I've been using it just over a year to cover grey(s) as well. I will never return to bottled color.

I like the 'naturalness' of the Henna/Indigo process. Yeah, it takes a minute and can be a little 'messy' but well worth it and it does a fabulous job.:grin:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I am natural and use both Jamila and Karishma herbal henna. I purchased Jamila from hennsooq.com and Karishma from http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/. Both are good vendors to purchase from.

I don't use commercial dye; just henna to color my hair. I purchased Katam and Indigo from hennasooq.com and combined them to get the desired dark brown color I wanted. I used 50 grams of Katam (a brown plant dye) and 2 tbsp of indigo to make a paste. Let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes and combined it with my mixed henna. I use nettle tea and lemon to mix my henna into a paste (yogurt consistency). Since I have a steamer, I don't need to let it sit on my hair for 4 - 6 hours. I steam for one hour and afterwards my grays are covered; especially the ones around my edges. It took me lots of tries to get the color I wanted without my greys being a bright copper red. I hate that!

What color does your mother want her hair dyed?

Hey Popmpous Blue, thanks for the detailed response :yep: My mom wants to dye her hair a natural black. Did you dye your with commerical dye before you started hennaing?

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I'm Relaxed and I use Body Art Quality Henna (and Indigo) for Mehandi.com for Chemically Relaxed and African American Hair.:yep:

I haven't tried the Brands you listed.:ohwell: But BAQ Henna works great on my hair. The Indigo gives shine like no bottle color ever could:nono:.

And I feel, it keeps getting better with time. i.e. the more you do it, the richer your results. I've been using it just over a year to cover grey(s) as well. I will never return to bottled color.

I like the 'naturalness' of the Henna/Indigo process. Yeah, it takes a minute and can be a little 'messy' but well worth it and it does a fabulous job.:grin:

Thats what i like about it as well. I think I won't risk the 'boxed brands' I should really get some certified BAQ.

Pompous Blue

Hey Popmpous Blue, thanks for the detailed response :yep: My mom wants to dye her hair a natural black. Did you dye your with commerical dye before you started hennaing?
No, I didn't have a commercial dye in my hair when I started hennaing. I only had a relaxer in my hair. Now, I'm totally natural and continue to enjoy hennaing.

Good luck with your mom's hair. I use the 2-step process to apply indigo to my DH's hair. It comes out perfect every time. (Apply henna; steam for 1.5 hrs and afterwards apply indigo and steam for an hour -- It comes out a perfect black color. Very natural looking).