box braids

naturallyme

to those who do box braids with there natural hair without adding extentions to it do you comb your hair out when after you take them down or do you take them down without combing your hair out. would your hair be tangled if you didn't comb it out after you had washed it? or if you comb it out when after taking the braid down is it normal to lose alot of hair? just curious to see what you ladies do!!

carletta

naturallyme said:
to those who do box braids with there natural hair without adding extentions to it do you comb your hair out when after you take them down or do you take them down without combing your hair out. would your hair be tangled if you didn't comb it out after you had washed it? or if you comb it out when after taking the braid down is it normal to lose alot of hair? just curious to see what you ladies do!!

I've done both. the best way for me is to presaturate the hair w/ coconut oil, braid spray or sta-sof-fro then take the hair down, untangle then comb with a very wide tooth comb and replait my hair in 4 large braids until I shampoo. by doing this I have very little shedding. BUT REMEMBER AMOUNT OF SHEDDING WILL DIFFER FROM TIME TO TIME. I hope this will help you out some!

babyblue

When i take my hair down from braids or twists i do a little finger combing to separate the strands and remove shed hair (usually dry with no product, but sometimes i do it with a pre shampoo tx), then i section my hair in plaits and proceed to wash, condition and detangle as normal. I like this method because I only end up having to detangle once. If i did it the other way i would have to comb it twice (once after i took the braids down and again after i've shamooed and conditioned). The force of the water helps tremendously in detangling and i've had no major issues with tangling or breakage so far and like carletta said shedding will vary.

mkstar826

supersonic
i either take then down and separate the definition with my fingers and then detangle or take them down wet my hair, add a pre-treatment for 30 mins, and then start detangling.

i always have a lot of hair come out because i wear my braids for a long period of time but that's how much would have come out if it was loose so it's not a big deal. it's shed hair, not breakage.

Melaninme

Box braids are next on my list for trying. When I do, I'll make sure to post my results here.