I sat in a room full of Scissor Happy Stylist!!

makeupgirl

I hated that rule that your hair must be trimmed every 6-8 weeks. Sometimes my hair didn't need it. Sometimes my sisscor (sp?) happy stylist cut too much. Sometimes she did a crappy job. That was my least fav part of the pampering experience beside that hot dryer.

naturalmanenyc

That makes NO SENSE at all. How does she explain dreadlocks getting longer since the hair is never combed?

Reminds me of a white stylist that spoke at my school for a natural hair program.

I told the group of peers that it wasnt neccessary for ALL women to trim every month and she rudely interrupted me by saying that we NEED to trim 1/4th of an inch each month for the hair to grow.
I asked her how exactly does that make your hair grow

she said because the process of combing the strands stimulates hair growth:rolleyes:

naturalmanenyc

I would love to know why so many people believe this when it makes NO SENSE at all.

There is no trigger at the end of the hair strand that alerts the root that the strand was cut. Why would a trim/cut at the end of a strand make the hair grow?

I sat there and just shook my head. :nono:

So I had a class today. You know. As a stylist we always have to learn new techniques. I learned a lot. A lot I didn't agree with.

I asked the speaker how often does he thinks hair should be trimmed. :nono::nono:

"Hair needs to be trimmed every six weeks for it to grow"

The mentality of black stylists sometimes is mind boggling. If every stylist has that philosophy black women will never grow their hair past shoulder length! :wallbash::wallbash:

What a shame.

Dragon_Of_Vaeros

How terrible that they are teaching that. They are going to make it harder for others to grow their hair if they depend on them to take care of it for them.

MissLawyerLady

My ex-stylist told me the same thing- my hair needed to be trimmed every 6-8 weeks and the reason my hair was thinning on the ends was because I wasn't letting her trim.

No, the reason my hair was thinning on the ends was because she detangled from the scalp with a super small tooth comb, never DC'd, and applied some hard, sticky mousse before detangling!!!!

The real problem is- stylists trim when all they need to really do is maybe dust ends every 8 weeks- like 1/8 inch dust.

diadall

I just revived this thread because I went to a Mary Kay event yesterday. It was in a beauty salon. The woman that owned the salon told me I should let her trim my hair.

Mind you, this is the first time I ever met her and my hair was in a bun (you could not see my ends at all).

She asked when was th elast time I got a trim. I told her in August.

Her eyes lit up like she had won the lottery.

Then she went to get a comb and asked if she could take my bun down.

I said no because I was out running errands and I didn't have time. I told her I would take her card.

You know she will never touch my hair, right?

I think she thought I wore a bun because I didn't know what to do with my hair and not that I am protective styling.

danysedai

I just revived this thread because I went to a Mary Kay event yesterday. It was in a beauty salon. The woman that owned the salon told me I should let her trim my hair.

This happened to me just recently. I met another cuban lady in my city and she used to be a hairdresser back at home. First time she saw me I had a flexirod set so my true length didn't show (a bit longer than APL now) and her hair was very nice (about same length). We met at her house another day and we started talking about hair and she said she could do my hair now that my hairdresser will be on vacation at the DR for about 2.5 months. She then proceeded to touch my hair (which looked awesome that day lol) and stick her hands in it and say that I needed a cut. Mind you, I had my ends dusted in my last relaxer ("dusted", NOT "trimmed") and they are not thin by any means. I told her I would be trimming it maaaaaybe next year once I reach my goal of BSL just to maintain the cut, and she laughed and said that "hair is like a plant and you must cut the leaves for it to grow" and that she has "growing hands" and that it depends even on the way you hold the scissors it'll grow or not!! After I calmly told her that it was a myth, she got upset and showed me pictures of her hair and on and on and on about her experience and all her clients' hair grows after she cuts it,etc...
Needless to say she is not cutting my hair so it can "grow"
That's something I love about my dominican hairdresser, when she says it's a dusting, you can bet it is just a dusting, she'll even show you how much she's cutting and she has a mirror positiones on the other wall so you can see what she is doing.

diadall

^Thanks.

My regular stylist is a at Dominican salon as well. She cut 1 inch in August and said we are all good.

This woman just wanted to get her hands in my hair. At first I was a little insulted that she thought that just because I was in a bun it meant I didn't know how to do my own hair.

She also pointed out women in the room whose hair she does and none of them had longer than SL.

I don't like my hair overstyled. I just like a nice soft hairdo and let it do what it do. I don't like all that fuss and peaks and valleys.

Last edited:

nappystorm

I wonder if the hookers that chopped all my hair off were there. Two were from Atlanta and anther was from Douglasville.

naheda72

Ha ha. I use to have this stylist that would trim at my every 6 week touch up AND my biweekly wash and set, although her motives were money, as she nickeled and dimed you for every service she performed whether you asked for it or not. I told my friend I was growing out my hair and when she came in town a year later she couldn't understand why my hair was the same length. Needless to say I had to get rid of this stylist. Once I left her and started taking care of my hair and growing it out, I went back to her 5 years later(didn't know it was her, she use to own her own shop when I went to her)after a caucasian friend recommended an AA woman who worked in the shop she went to, she had the nerve to try and take credit for my growth. 4 months later got rid of her again, went to a new shop after complaining about her anonymously to my new stylist, then 2 months later she was working in that shop. I am finally rid of this woman, but every time I see her all I think of is money hungry, scissor happy stylist.