Big Chop Today

Postal

I'm about to big chop.
Today, in a couple of hours.
I just took out my weave and I thought, this is it! I'm terrified of the short hair I'm about to have but I feel like my hair might be healthier without all those straggly ends.
I've been transitioning for 22 months.

Should I go to a professional for this or is this really doable? I'm thinking that all I need is soaking wet hair to see the difference between natural and relaxed.

Any advice?

Adiatasha

I got my hair straightened and had them give me a hair cut.

But from what I've seen... Just wet your hair and cut where it stops being curly.

koolkittychick

Wet your hair to find the line of demarcation, and use a good sharp pair of shears. 22 months worth of growth should give you at least 10 inches of hair if you are an average grower, so I would hardly call that short (I BC'd after only 6 months--that was short!). Go slow, get some trusted help if you can, and enjoy the results. You should have enough hair to make some pretty decent afro puffs to start with, so good luck! :grin:

Gr8ness83

Congratulations! 22 months is a loooong time to transition. I certainly don't have the patience for that so I applaud you.... If you grew .25"/month then you have 5.5" of natural hair but if you grew .5"/month then you have 11"... You could have more or less but essentially, you have a good amount of natural hair I jump start your natural hair growth journey. I would suggest cutting the ends off yourself. You don't want some scissor happy stylist trying to prove how they can cut curly/kinky/acro texture hair and cut into your natural hair as a result of it. There is a technique to cutting curly/kinky hair and not every stylist knows or practices it. If you plan on wearing it straight at all then I would suggest that you still cut the relaxed ends off yourself but go to a stylist to have them cut it into a style. If it were me, I would just cut off the relaxed ends and get to know my hair before I let anyone else touch it.... Especially with scissors. And this is coming from a stylist.... Lol. Congratulations, have fun and make sure to post pre and post BC pics....!

southerncitygirl

Postal
Congrats :) You can cut it as stated above and let someone else shape it up for you, girlie. If you don't like it you can protective style with a wig & baby your hair underneath and by summertime you have a lil more length to work with.... 22 months is a long time to transition. Make sure you have some good sharp hair scissors! You may need to start a new product haul as I'm sure you have had to handle both hair types differently. Stay on top of your moisture, protein ceramide levels and protective stylling/low manipulation is your BFFs.

beauti

congratulations!! Like everyone else said, you can see the line of demarcation on wet hair. I can't wait to see your natural hair! :drunk:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I wet my hair and it was very easy to see where my natural and relaxed hair met and cut. I think I did a damn good job if I say so myself. I've never gone to a professional.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
i did the initial big chop (two days ago) and went to the barber yesterday for him to give it some shape. i ended up with a tapered fro. i used this pic

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 100

sharifeh

22 months is a long transition, I'm guessing you have a lot of natural hair by now

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF