Big Chop on Wet or Dry Hair?

Is it better to big chop on wet or dry hair?

• Wet Hair

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • Dry Hair

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other (explain - for example, in twists)

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solitude

I've watched a bunch of big chop videos and most of them are done on wet hair; however, I find it harder to tell my new growth from my relaxed hair when it's wet. My relaxed hair is texlaxed so it easily blends, but when it's dry, the difference is clear. My new growth clumps into curls and my texlaxed hair is loosely wavy.

So, my question is whether it is better to big chop on wet or dry hair?

I would aslo be fearful of someone else cutting my hair. I would rather do it myself, whenever the time comes.

SmileyNY

The main reason for cutting on wet hair is to make it easier to see the relaxed ends. If its not easier for you... Then do what works.

ETA: Just make sure your hair is moisturized before cutting. Cutting thirsty hair will give your new ends a bad start.

Avaya

I did mine on dry but I wish I would have done it on wet hair. If its wet, you can much easier see the difference between your natural and relaxed hair. I cut a good inch of natural hair in the front of my head because it didn't look kinky to me when I was BC'ing :nono:.

RayRayFurious

Mine was done on dry hair. I wasn't really too concerned about cutting too much off, though as I was starting over (see profile pic).

Wet is definitely easier, though, if you're concerned about keeping your length.

Qtee

Wet hair is easier to see the difference...although there wasnt a difference between natural and relaxed hair in the front of my hair..so I got scissor happy there...

CountryBumpkin

I chose dry hair before I realized this said "big chop". I guess if it's the big chop, it doesn't make much different.

but my hair has tons of shrinkage, and if i want it to be a certain length, i know i had better NOT cut it wet, or else it was going to end up being several inches shorter that I meant for it to be by the time it gets finished drying and shrinking up. Even when i use to wear my hair straight, it still did a lot of shrinking. The finished cut when dry and straightened was still a lot shorter than it was when it was wet.

yuhlovevybz

It depends. To be technical, hair is more fragile when it's wet, so cutting wet hair can actually lead to more splits (so I've read somewhere). But I bigchopped on wet hair because it was EASY. There was no way I could confuse my stick straight pieces for the kinky bush they were sprouting from, and even then I ended up chopping a couple curls just cuz I'm not perfect. The big chop on dry hair seemslike it'd be difficult.

naturalmanenyc

I never did a big chop. However, as posted above most people cut wet hair because it's easier to see the relaxed ends versus the curly roots. During my transition to natural, I could 100% tell the difference between my relaxed ends and my curly roots if my hair was wet.

If that is not an option for you, you should cut on dry hair so you can tell the difference between the relaxed hair and texlaxed/natural hair.

DivineNapps1728

I voted wet, because in general that's the easiest way to tell virgin & relaxed strands apart, but if you can see the difference in textures better when your hair is dry you should probably bc when your hair is dry.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
If you're talking about BCing from bone straight relaxed, wet or damp hair would be best. I actually did mine on hair drenched in conditoner. But since you have texlaxed hair, you may want to do it on dry hair since you're able to see the two textures better this way.

Solitude

Thanks for all of the responses, ladies. I still have a while to go, so I'll continue to explore my options.