Best Relaxers

Bronxbaby87

I decided that i am going to relax my hair again. in the past i used PCJ kids no-lye relaxer. i think that i should go to a lye relaxer after reading the posts about lye vs. no lye. what is lye??? but what lye relaxers do yall use and what do you like about them. i want one that will be moisturizing but not too strong. have any of you tried lusters smooth tough relaxer, i like the commercials, lol and what about gentle treatment?? thanks for all of your help

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Lye is sodium hydroxide. I used to use Gentle Treatment and Soft n' Beautiful for a long time before I found out about the issues with No Lye. I've been using Revlon Realistic (lye) for a while now. My hair is smoother and less frizzy since using a lye relaxer. The lye vs no lye has been discussed frequently on here. I'm sure you'll find several posts in a search.

Crystal

I use Mizani Regular and It does everything I want it too. I love it actually. I made the switch from no-lye also and I'll never go back to no-lye. No-lye does get my hair straighter but I like the body left with a lye. My hair is not dry like it use to be and easeir to keep moisturized.

So I say Mizani.

Crystal

I've never seen it at the store. I bought mine online at vipsalonline.com. But I think JCPenny's uses Mizani.

pebbles

Mizani is very good. I used it and liked a lot. Currently I use Elucence and I love it. Beverly sent me some of hers to try and I've been hooked on it since.

I use Affirm lye and like it alot. I used to use regular but switched to Mild. The results come out the same: soft, straight and swinging.

I have to say though the key is in the stylist who applies it. I had Affirm applied at Josephs salon NYC last November and my hair got 2 burnt areas and reverted a week later back to new growth state. I do however have my doubts on if it was Affirm used on me.

I used Revlon regular once but found it way too strong. My hair was tooo thin. It was lank and just too straight and I burnt on one spot on the scalp. I've heard that Revlon is very strong though.

I've settled with Affirm as its what I've always used and my hair continues to grow well with it but like I said, find a stylist you trust who knows HOW to apply it to fully reap benefits.

peacelove

I swear by Affirm lye. I have been using that for the past 8 years or so. I used Mizani once and I hated it. It made my hair VERY crispy. I would also suggest lye - no lye relaxers tend to dry your hair out more, I believe because of the calcium in them.

pooh123

My stylist uses Designer's Touch Lye relaxer on my hair. I have a sensitive scalp and it doesn't burn as fast with this relaxer. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I've tried Affirm in the past and the formula that was used was too harsh for my scalp.

pooh123

cutebajangirl

No lye is also horrible for me too, my former hairdresser used to use a super no lye and leave it on for 45 minutes. Now I use lye mild by Dudleys or Fibergaurd (mild). I was wondering if anyone knew of a relaxer whose strength was in between these two. The Dudley's overprocesses just a tad and the fibergaurd underprocesses just atad (irregardless of the time frame eitheris left one).

beana3

I'm going with Affirm all the way!!! Every chance i get i'm raving about this, i really like that it straightens well and my hair seems to look healthier.

I'm 4a and fine stranded so i use mild and my hair has been behaving ever since the affirm relaxer!

Islandgirl

Just like Pooh123, I use Designer Touch!!!! It works well with my hair.

Affirm does not agree with my hair, the worse relaxer i have ever used . But, remember everyone's hair is different.

MzRhonda

My local stylist uses Motions and my cousin when I go to his shop out of town uses Summer, I did notice that Summer was gentler no burning, stinging or anything.

Rhonda

Peachtree

Hi Bronxbaby

I know that you want to hear from "Lye" users only, but I've used a "No-Lye" for 13 or so yrs & love it
. If u decide to stick w/ no-lye, then try "Optimum No-Lye"... I've used both regular & super with the exact same results... so I stuck with regular

Stormy

I use Motions Mild and I love it! It allows me plenty of time for smoothing and my hair comes out just like I want it. Not bone straight and full of body!

For my daughter who has VERY resistant hair due to many no lye relaxers from hair stylists, I use Clairol's Texture and Tones (super). It's the ONLY thing I've found so far that works. I've tried Motions on her hair, another stylist tried Mizani, QP Elasta, Bantu, and Optimum. Most of the time we tried regular, mild, and super and none of those works. With Texture and Tones her hair comes out straight, (I don't like to get it bone straight)silky, and soft.

free2bme

I used to use Motions Oil Relaxer in mild and was pretty satisfied with it until I tried Mizani. I like Motions, I love Mizani!!

I found the mizani just as mild as the motions but did a better job of relaxing. after my last relaxer my hair feels much smoother. My last relaxer was 3 weeks ago but my hair still feels quite silky!!

Affirm is pretty good but I found it a bit harsh on my scalp. If you aren't tender headed it's a very good choice.

Bronxbaby87

daang thank yall for all of the responses, just one more question, where can i buy affirm at? when i did get perms i used kiddie ones, is affirm a strong perm and will it be harsh on my hair. also i get chemical burns very easily.

jellynote

I've used Mizani and it worked really good, but I love my Affirm. To me those are the 2 best relaxers, but then again what it boils down to is what you like and what works for your hair.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
daang thank yall for all of the responses, just one more question, where can i buy affirm at? when i did get perms i used kiddie ones, is affirm a strong perm and will it be harsh on my hair. also i get chemical burns very easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can try www.sheldeez.com ...IMO it's strong so I would recommend the mild. You might want to look into the one with fiberguard. I HTH!!!

AMBERSKYE

I've used Mizani Relaxer and Revlon Realistic Relaxer!
I loved the results from both of these products.
I currently use Gentle Treatment Relaxer and I love the results just as much as the previous relaxers!

EmeraldSky

Now that I've had my 3rd lye relaxer I must say Affirm lye. Mizani left my hair a too dry, the Affirm left my hair straight and very soft. I love it.