Dont Go Shopping for Hair Care Products..

candibaby

without me! Okay, some of you ladies may have read this book before, well I just got it from the Library today, and I was just reading about No Lye relaxers, and it says that no-lye relaxers ARE actually lye relaxers, just not in the form of sodium hydroxide. Calcium Hydroxide mixed with guanidine carbonate is whats in No-Lye relaxers, and calcium hydroxide is a form of lye. It also states that No-Lye relaxers tend to have the same PH as sodium hydroxide relaxers as well. Here are some of the No-Lye Relaxer PH's that are mentioned:

African Pride Miracle Deep Conditioning No-Lye Relaxer System - pH 13
At One with Nature Botanical Strongends Sensitive Scalp Relaxer - pH 14
Dark and Lovely Beautiful Beginnings No-Mistake No-Lye Childrens Relaxer System - pH 13
Dark & Lovely Plus Ultra Deep Conditioning No-Lye Relaxer System - pH 12
Gentle Treatment No-Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer (Regular) - pH 13
Luster's Pink Conditioning Super No-Lye Creme Relaxer - pH 14
Raveen No-Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer with Multiple Conditioners - pH 14
Revlon Creme of Nature No-Lye Creme Relaxer System - pH 13
Revlon Fabulaxer Multiple Conditioning No Lye Relaxer Kit - pH 13
Soft and Beautiful Just for Me No-Lye Conditioning Creme Relaxer, Children's Formula - pH 14
Soft and Beautiful Super No-Lye Conditioning Relaxer - pH 14
TCB Naturlas No-Lye Relaxer, Regular with Olive Oil, Aloe, and Henna - pH 14

The book also includes a LOT of reviews of products, so if you want to know one, I'd be happy to post it for you.

bajanplums1

Sorry, I don't understand the significance of ph levels with relaxers. So are these numbers acidic? any chemistry proficient people out there?

SUPER SWEET

I was told that Calcium Hydroxide is horrible for the hair because it leaves a hard build up on the hair. It doesn't penetrate the shaft.That's why with long usage, the hair becomes very dry and brittle. And sodium hydroxide penetrates and changes the composition of the hair not just coat it.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I don't understand the significance of ph levels with relaxers. So are these numbers acidic? any chemistry proficient people out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this link: Webster definition When you scroll down, on the right will be a list of the pH value of familiar items. Hair and skin have a pH range of 4.5-5.5 (acidic). In order to break the bonds that create the shape of our hair strands, You would need something strong enough to counter it for good (a base or caustic chemical), hence the name permanent or perm. Water's pH is 7, which is why it can temporarily relaxes the hydrogen bonds.

This link has a picture of the periodic table; notice how close together sodium, potassium and calcium (the three lead ingredients for different relaxers) are.

There are acidic relaxers but they can make the hair shaft collapse and explode (remember the Rio drama?).

Clear as mud? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
[ QUOTE ]

The book also includes a LOT of reviews of products, so if you want to know one, I'd be happy to post it for you.

[/ QUOTE ] Can you give us some examples, just for interest?

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Can you give us examples, just for interest?

buffalosoldier

[ QUOTE ]
Does the book states the ph of lye relaxers? If so, please list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have the book I got it from the library a long time ago..its very good though

Tracy

FYI - Most relaxers (lye or no) have a PH between 12 and 14. There are only a handful that are not that alkaline. Dark and Lovely Beautiful Beginnings (w/ a PH of about 10) is one of them. Vigorol and Rusk are others.

The more basic a relaxer is, the more it can potentially damage the hair and scalp.

Practically speaking tho - they're all around the same PH as you can see from Candi's list.

FrizzMizz

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone just tell me whats a good pH for a relaxer on hair? I'm kinda confroosed with all this chemical shtuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the texture of your hair. If you have a looser curl pattern you would go with the relaxer with the lower PH, say 10, 12. And vice versa.

candibaby

Alkaline is the only thing that can break the disulfide bonds in the hair. (which are the strongest bonds in the hair) Once they are broken, they can never be rebuilt. Therefore like Tracy said, the more alkaline they are, the more damage you could be potentially causing.

Honey Vibe, some examples of the reviews

ION Effective Care Intensive Therapy Treatment - Contains mostly water, detangling agents, film former, thickeners, conditioning agents, preservatives and fragrance. The calim that this very standard, ordinary conditioners "repairs and structures from the inside out" is bogus, though it is a good conditioner for normal to slightly dry hair of any thickness.

Aveda Elixir Daily Leave-on Hair Conditioner- contains mostly tea, detangling agents, thickeners, silicone, more thickeners, glycerin, fragrance (plant extracts), conditioning agents, and preservatives. This is a very good leave-in conditoner for normal to dry hair that is normal to fine or thin. It doesnt contain film former so it doesn't give a stiff feel. It does contain peppermint, which can be an irritant for the scalp.

Aveda Cherry/Almond Bark, Reconstructive Hair Conditioner- is supposed to be "nature's purest conditioning", but there is nothing natural about stearalkonium chloride or peg 12 distearate. It also can't reconstruct damaged hair. However, it is a good basic conditioner for normal to dry hair. It contains mostly tea, thickeners, detangling agent, plant oil, slip agent, conditoning agent, fragrant plant oils, and preservatives.

Aubrey Organics GPB- contains mostly emollients, conditioning agent, plant extracts, and balsam. This can be good for normal to dry hair, though the balsam can build up and make hair feel brittle and stiff. MOST of Aubrey Organics products got frowning smileys.

African Royale Diamond Drops- contains mostly silicones, plant oil, plant extracts, and fragrance. Now this product can add shine without grease and also make hair feel like silk. It is a standard silicone for dry hair.

Paul Mitchell Super Charged Conditioner- contains mostly plant water, thickeners, conditioning agents, detangling agents, preservatives, slip agents, plant oil, and fragrance. This is hardly supercharged, but it is a good conditioner for normal to dry hair of any thickness.

crazyabouthair

Relaxers need to have a high PH cause that's the only way it can lift your hair cuticles, get inside the cortex and permanently change your hair from curly to straight. That's why it is important to rinse the relaxer out well and neutralize well after a relaxer. If you don't the cuticles will stay lifted and this is what causes dryness and frizzes. If you overlap your relaxers than you are again opening up cuticles who may not have been properly sealed in the first place and causing more damage. Shampoos, conditioners and maintenance products used on the hair on a regular basis should have ph levels between 4.5 to 5.5 in order to help seal cuticles and combat dryness and frizz.

candibaby

I dont know about Elasta or Vitale relaxers, they weren't mentioned. You could always email the companies and ask. Mizani isn't in the book, Nexxus is but I guess they've added more products since the 2nd edition of the book was published, but tell me what you want and I'll see if it's in there.

What CAB said about relaxers is true, they have to be alkaline, because alkaline is the only thing that can break the disulfide bonds in your hair, thus making it straight. The pH of hair is supposed to be 5, so your products should be around that.