Best No-Lye Relaxers

NYLegalNewbie

So, I think that once my stretch is over (I only stretch my relaxers 10 to 12 weeks...currently in week 6), I'm going to bite the bullet and attempt a self relax. While I love my old stylist, I noticed that she really does some things that really bother me, including (and especially) overlapping.

Most of my hair has been done with no-lye relaxer (Phyto Index 2 and Mizani Sensitive Scalp). Thus far, I've had good results with no-lye relaxers. My hair isn't dry and I know how to moisturize it.

I'm kind of balking at spending $60 for Phyto (especially considering that the package is only good for 1 to 1 1/2 uses). I'm also anxious about buying Mizani sensitive scalp on my own because it doesn't come with instructions for use by amateurs.

So, what are some of the best store bought no-lye relaxers?

I'm strongly considering ORS No Lye, but if anyone has any other recommendations (or good reviews for ORS No Lye), I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

gymfreak336

I haven't used no lye in YEARS but I did like the mizani no lye. If you are going with no lye, be sure to use a chelating shampoo to help remove the mineral deposits it leaves behind. That is usually the cause of dryness when using no-lye.

Kenra and Redken make one and the ORS Aloe shampoo is one too.

NYLegalNewbie

bumping

(there is a poll thread on this already)

I'm sure there is, but I can't get the dang search feature to work for anything! Everytime I use it, I just get a blank screen back :perplexed

If you can find that thread for me, I'll be your friend forever :grin:

NYLegalNewbie

amina kamal

In the November 2007 version of Essence there is a best no-lye relaxer article in it with comments on the user (including the hair type and personal experience with the relaxer) I am at work now but I can list the relaxers they listed there I know for sure that Phyto was one of them

nicki6

I am a big ORS no-lye fan:clap: I have a sensitive scalp and I do not burn or just very slightly. It leaves my hair very moisturized.

I must say that it hasn't been getting as straight as I would like lately:scratchch

Add a tablespoon of EVOO to give yourself extra time since this is your first application.

longhairluva

Does it come with instructions and everything you need to do the relaxer (i.e. neutralizing shampoo, reconstructor, etc etc)?

Yes the instuctions tell you everything. It even shows you how much activator to put in the mix depending on the strength you want, the time you should leave it on and all of the steps. They have the step before the neutralizer (5n1 reconstructor) and my hair feels real strong after this.

lennet93

So, I think that once my stretch is over (I only stretch my relaxers 10 to 12 weeks...currently in week 6), I'm going to bite the bullet and attempt a self relax. While I love my old stylist, I noticed that she really does some things that really bother me, including (and especially) overlapping.

Most of my hair has been done with no-lye relaxer (Phyto Index 2 and Mizani Sensitive Scalp). Thus far, I've had good results with no-lye relaxers. My hair isn't dry and I know how to moisturize it.

I'm kind of balking at spending $60 for Phyto (especially considering that the package is only good for 1 to 1 1/2 uses). I'm also anxious about buying Mizani sensitive scalp on my own because it doesn't come with instructions for use by amateurs.

So, what are some of the best store bought no-lye relaxers?

I'm strongly considering ORS No Lye, but if anyone has any other recommendations (or good reviews for ORS No Lye), I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Get out of my head...lol I was wondering the same thing. I like Mizani sensitive scalp but I don't like that it doesnt come in a kit and I'm lost as to which neutralizing shampoo to get. I know ORS comes with everything in the kit which is great.

RubyWoo

Profectiv Relaxer is the best no-lye relaxer imo. The Profectiv Neutralizing Mousse is a chelator as well as it mentions that it removes mineral deposits on the bottle/can.