Best multivitamin for hair growth that does not contain Biotin

zzirvingj

Can anyone recommend a multivitamin that's good for hair that doesn't have Biotin in it? Biotin breaks me out badly but I am in need of a new multivitamin to add to my regimen....

It may be kinda hard to find one that's a multi, without Biotin, being as though that is a main ingredient targeted for hair growth, but a good suggestion would be to see if you can find something with the individual ingredients that are also targeted toward hair health, which is Choline and Inositol, I am not positive, but I believe they may sell them individually.HTH

Last edited:
Pre natals are good but some of them may have a trace element of biotin so be careful

Do you recommend a specific brand or just any prenatals? I think I'd be okay with a trace amount of it; it just seems my skin reacts so immediately/badly to regular doses of Biotin....

The ones put out by Efamil is good. And they are the gel caps I hated taking those horse pills

I take Puritans Pride Pre-natals.

One thing u have to be careful of is the Iron.

Its an excessive amount for a person that isnt pregnant so i usually take it and have breaks in between because you can OD on Iron

Did you try balancing the biotin with another vit to control the breakouts?
What about trying something else like a seaweed (not sure which kind) which I've heard is also good for hair growth...

Are you already taking a multi for your total health? When I took a hair multi, it made no difference to me, so I opted to take a full multi which is what I had been doing anyway all along and no problems here.

But if you really need a hair vitamin, just make sure your body is getting enough of the nutrients it needs and that you don't OD in the oil soluble ones by adding a hair one. If your body is not getting what it needs, the whatever you take for your hair will be hogged by your body and so do very little for your hair.

My other question is, does Biotin break you out even when it is part of a multi, or when you take it alone? I believe people get breakouts when they take biotin on its own in very high amounts, or when it isn't part of a complex. Some complexes have very small amounts 400 mcg while others have 3000 mcg. Are you sure the low dosage ones break you out too?

Anyway, to answer you question, here's a hair, skin and nail multi w/o biotin but I don't know if it is "the best". Otherwise consider a hair multi that has low biotin dosage.

Do you recommend a specific brand or just any prenatals? I think I'd be okay with a trace amount of it; it just seems my skin reacts so immediately/badly to regular doses of Biotin....

Well my multivitamin contains 17% of your DV of Biotin is that still too much? Its the GNC Ultra Mega Women with 80 mg of B vitamins which works out for me because its like having almost two B-50 Complex pills mixed in with your mutli.

Thanks for this thread. I was online searching for the same thing today. I did between 3000 and 5000mcg a day for years. All the while I had no idea it was causing my acne. Now if I even take as low as 300mcg I get knots on my chin.

LaidBak, are you taking biotin on its on or as part of a complex?

Chameleonchick, I personally believe that if you are taking biotin as part of a multi, then you are not taking too much. I believe multis balance supplements so you are not overdoing any.

BTW, just want to toss this out there: while certain supplements work for some people, they may not work for others because your body already has too much of those sups while the person that they worked for was deficient in them. So it seems like a better gamble to me to take a multi so that at least you are guaranteed to get whatever was missing and hopefully see better growth. Just something to consider.

The GNC Prenatals are pretty good, they only have 35mcg of Biotin vs the 3000 that are in the HSN. They sell the ones with and without the iron. I've never tried them, but I heard One A Day is a good multi as well.

LaidBak, are you taking biotin on its on or as part of a complex?

Hey Nonie, I was taking it solo for all those years. After reading about it on here I gave myself a break of about 3 months, then started taking it as a part of a B-complex. After 2 doses of that (at 300mcg) I had knots on my chin and cheeks. :nono: I need it back in my life though. Nothing else makes my nails as strong as biotin did. And I love that it strengthened my hair.

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the responses ladies.

I am going to go with a regular multivitamin (if not prenatal vitamin) because I think as long as its not a very high dose of biotin, I should be fine.

Are you already taking a multi for your total health? When I took a hair multi, it made no difference to me, so I opted to take a full multi which is what I had been doing anyway all along and no problems here.

But if you really need a hair vitamin, just make sure your body is getting enough of the nutrients it needs and that you don't OD in the oil soluble ones by adding a hair one. If your body is not getting what it needs, the whatever you take for your hair will be hogged by your body and so do very little for your hair.

My other question is, does Biotin break you out even when it is part of a multi, or when you take it alone? I believe people get breakouts when they take biotin on its own in very high amounts, or when it isn't part of a complex. Some complexes have very small amounts 400 mcg while others have 3000 mcg. Are you sure the low dosage ones break you out too?

Anyway, to answer you question, here's a hair, skin and nail multi w/o biotin but I don't know if it is "the best". Otherwise consider a hair multi that has low biotin dosage.

From what I remember, I was breaking out when I was taking it in high doses, by itself. So I'm going to go ahead and just try any multivitamin as long as its a lower dose. Thanks :drunk:

Back