BC decision

alanaj

Hi all,

I am just about to start my 9th month of transitioning. These days I've got a nagging urge to cut off my relaxed ends and finally be natural. I chicken out every single time tho.:perplexed
I have about 3-3.5 inches of new growth and trying to contain these beautiful curls under the relaxed hair when it keeps screaming look at me! is really hard. Plus I keep getting comments that if I cut it it will just be too short. I've never had anything shorter than chin length hair.
How did you know when it was time to BC?
I'm finding it so hard right now!

Sorry I can't give any help on that one. I'm transitioning but I don't plan to BC if I don't have to. I'm sure some others can give you some good advice.

Black Hoya Chick

i don't know. i am 10+ months with an average of 5 inches but I still haven't chopped. I am waiting until my hair is shouder length stretched, which is about 8-9 inches of hair. I should be there by the end of aug/beginning of september. i guess it depends on what you want to do. since my hair will mainly be in a puff until i reach APL stretched (then i may do more twistouts and/or rollersets), shoulder length stretched will be fine for me to start with.

SEMO

It depends on the individual. I personally transitioned for a long time b/c I too had never had short hair. I wanted to transition until I had at least enough natural hair to make a ponytail. I was afraid that if I bc'ed sooner then I would not like wearing a fro and go back to relaxing. For me, I know myself pretty well and have not regretted by decision to wait it out longer during my transition. Which was around a year and a half.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

veggiegirl314

I transitioned for 8 months before I did the BC. I originally planned on waiting a full 12 months, but one day I washed my hair, and I just KNEW it was time.

It's definitely a mental thing. You'll know for sure when you're ready. My hair is short now, but I honestly don't regret doing my BC early.

Lady S

I BC in college to a TWA. The first few weeks, I rocked scarves and hats, but eventually I got really used to it & decided I looked cute. :laugh: Having said that, I'm pretty comfortable with short hair.

I think life would be easier if you chopped off the relaxed ends, from a technical point of view, because you'd only have to deal with one texture. Can't speak from the emotional POV, though. That's your call. But let me ask, how would you feel if someone told you have to cut off those ends now. Right now. Would you fight it or feel relieved?

alanaj

Well I originally had a goal of 1 year, then that changed to 2 yearsl then went back to one. In the end I ended up saying I'd wait until I could make a ponytail.
Honeestly if someone said today is the day I'd say great! I think at this point I'm ready but those around me are probably not. It's more their comments that are holding me back becuase I keep going back to "what if they're right?".

alanaj

i don't know. i am 10+ months with an average of 5 inches but I still haven't chopped. I am waiting until my hair is shouder length stretched, which is about 8-9 inches of hair. I should be there by the end of aug/beginning of september. i guess it depends on what you want to do. since my hair will mainly be in a puff until i reach APL stretched (then i may do more twistouts and/or rollersets), shoulder length stretched will be fine for me to start with.

do you mean shooulder length in the front or the back?

hairedity

I say if your decision not to chop is based on what everybody else around you thinks -then just go ahead and do it! The same people telling you not to do it, are the same ones you'll see a week from now rocking a TWA and telling everybody how freeing it is!
Hey if you really hate your BC you can always get braids/weave and grow it out a bit more.
I chopped at 7 months into my transition, I knew I would go right into braids and I haven't regretted it ever.