Battling Sinful Anger - Meditate On This

loolalooh

A raging man, let alone an raging woman is NOT cute. Sinful anger can destroy friendships, relationships, and even marriages. Sinful anger can delay blessings from God (e.g., job promotion). If you have a problem with sinful anger, get it in check with Him.

Step 1: Recognize that certain displays of anger DO NOT glorify God.
When Jesus angrily chased the merchants out of the temple (John 2:13-17), he displayed a righteous indignation. His anger was with the house of God in mind ... and only that. Recognize the difference between this kind of anger and that which is sinful (e.g., stemming from jealousy, pride, lust, hatred, distrust, etc.).

Jesus Clears the Temple Courts

13 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15 So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” 17 His disciples remembered that it is written: “Zeal for your house will consume me.”[a]

Step 2: Pray persisently for Him to help you control your anger.
Put it on your prayer list. Pray daily.

Step 3: Practice "Calling Upon the LORD" when you get angry.
Write it on a post-it or in your journal. In times of sinful anger, the last thing on one's mind is God. Practice calling on His name before the anger is unleashed sinfully.

Step 4: Meditate on the following verses.
Remember that the Word is our sword (weapon of offense). Meditate and memorize this Scripture so that you'll be prepared in your moment of temptation:

Ephesians 4:31-32 (New King James Version)
31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Ephesians 4:26 (New King James Version)
26 “Be angry, and do not sin”:[a] do not let the sun go down on your wrath,

Psalm 4:4 (New King James Version)

4 Be angry, and do not sin.
 Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah

James 1:20 (New King James Version)
20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

James 1:19 (New King James Version)
19 So then,[a] my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;

Bumping with some new material ... :)

Step 5: Practice obedience in the little things.
The more you heed the Holy Spirit, the easier it becomes to escape the temptation of sinful anger. Remember 1 Corinthians 10:13 - "And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear." Listening to the Holy Spirit IS your escape from temptation.

Some articles that are worth reading:
http://www.gospelway.com/christianlife/anger.php
http://www.joycemeyer.org/articles/ea.aspx?article=dealing_with_anger_gods_way

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

Thank you for providing these scriptures!

I know when I hear or see things that are blatantly wrong, which is out of my control I have to tell myself Vengeance is mine says the Lord. Rom. 12:19 (definitely easier said than done).

On the other hand, there have been situations where my spirit had told me to stay calm for a reason. You never know what a person is dealing with internally. And your words and actions could do more harm than good even when you think you have the right intentions.

Again, thanks for sharing.

loolalooh

Bumping with some new material ... :)

Step 5: Practice obedience in the little things.
The more you heed the Holy Spirit, the easier it becomes to escape the temptation of sinful anger. Remember 1 Corinthians 10:13 - "And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear." Listening to the Holy Spirit IS your escape from temptation.

Some articles that are worth reading:
http://www.gospelway.com/christianlife/anger.php
http://www.joycemeyer.org/articles/ea.aspx?article=dealing_with_anger_gods_way