No Longer Controlled by Sinful Nature: Romans 8 and 12

chicacanella

Now one of the most basic needs is to eat food and drink water but even God's holy word states that, "Man should not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."

As Christians, we are called to exercise self control over our bodies and when fasting, this allows us to become strengthen in God's Holy Spirit and our faith. How so, you may ask? When we deny ourselves even the most basic human needs such as food, we are exercising self control and gaining power in God's word. We are more able to focus on him and it reduces us to completely rendering all to Him and helps us to become closer. When we fast, we focus on the Word and meditate on that to give us strength to endure.

Example: Do you ever notice that when you are sick or not feeling so well, you tend to talk to God more and tell him what is really going on? When I am fasting, I try to read scripture and meditate on it and then I end up telling God, "I am so hungryyyy." I just pray more because my flesh wants to eat but I know I am not suppose to and I lean on God and ask Him for help and strength. I remember his Word about man not living just by food but by God's Word.

Fasting also helps you gain control in other parts of your life. Say I am looking to eat healthier, instead of grabbing a bag of Lays today in the car, I put them back because I have control over my flesh.

Now read over these scriptures and I pray that you receive this by God's Holy Spirit:

<H4>Romans 8</H4><H5>Deliverance from Bondage

1Therefore there is now no (A)condemnation for those who are (B)in (C)Christ Jesus.
2For (D)the law of the Spirit of life in (E)Christ Jesus (F)has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
3For (G)what the Law could not do, (H)weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in (I)the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4so that the (J)requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who (K)do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on (L)the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, (M)the things of the Spirit.
6(N)For the mind set on the flesh is (O)death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
7because the mind set on the flesh is (P)hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
8and those who are (Q)in the flesh cannot please God.
9However, you are not (R)in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God (S)dwells in you But (T)if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
10(U)If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
11But if the Spirit of Him who (V)raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, (W)He who raised (X)Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies [a]through His Spirit who dwells in you.
12So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh-- 13for (Y)if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are (Z)putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

and also:Romans 12

Romans 12

Dedicated Service

1Therefore (A)I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to (B)present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
2And do not (C)be conformed to (D)this world, but be transformed by the (E)renewing of your mind, so that you may (F)prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

When you are a slave to something, that is not of God. Being a slave to anything is of a unsaved person's nature, not a Christian. Eating is a basic human need, because if you don't do it, you will eventually die. If you are compelled to do something over and over again, then that is you being driven away by your own lust. James 1:13-14

13Let no one say when he is tempted, "(A)I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. 14But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.

Now once you begin to read the Word of God and meditate upon it, interpreting it by His Holy Spirit, you will begin to better understand the nature of God and what is acceptable to Him. The world has many doctorines or ways of explaining away your sin, but if you feel guilty it is because the holy spirit has convicted you. But guess what the world will say: It is because you have been socialized to think this way. This is one of the biggest lies I've ever heard and just a way for the enemy to fool people into not holding themselves accountable and seeking to change.

14For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do (Y)instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,
15in that they show (Z)the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

</H5>

chicacanella

The instincts of feeling guilty 9/10 are because God has all given us his law on our hearts of what is right and wrong. If you choose to continually ignore it, then you are hardening your concience and deceiving yourself.

You can pray and ask God for help with any problem you may have. Repent and genuinely try to stop whatever sin you may be having problems with and meditate upon his word in order to renew your mind. Remember specific scriptures so when you are tempted, you can repeat his Word and pray for help and remember God will always allow you a way out of temptation.:yep:

MissGee

Thank you for sharing this.

When i read Nice& Wavy's thread on fasting i wanted to do it but i realized that i really didn't know what fasting was about. I did not really understand how not eating was beneficial ,but this puts it in perspective for me.

Nice & Wavy

Thank you for sharing this.

When i read Nice& Wavy's thread on fasting i wanted to do it but i realized that i really didn't know what fasting was about. I did not really understand how not eating was beneficial ,but this puts it in perspective for me.

I'm glad you now have the understanding of it...thanks Chicacanella!!!

Anytime you aren't sure about something, please feel free to pm me and I will explain it to you or send you to one of the ladies here on the board that I KNOW will be able to help you as well.

Blessings!

Nice & Wavy

The instincts of feeling guilty 9/10 are because God has all given us his law on our hearts of what is right and wrong. If you choose to continually ignore it, then you are hardening your concience and deceiving yourself.

You can pray and ask God for help with any problem you may have. Repent and genuinely try to stop whatever sin you may be having problems with and meditate upon his word in order to renew your mind. Remember specific scriptures so when you are tempted, you can repeat his Word and pray for help and remember God will always allow you a way out of temptation.:yep:

This thread is awesome, chicacanella....thank you so much!!!

Wow, great post, thanks chica. I was just trying to explain the importance of fasting last week to my cousin but I couldn't seem to break it down enough for her.

I explained to her that it strengthens your relationship with God and tests your selfcontrol. But she says that she has a medical problem where she has to eat so fasting was a no-no and didn't see fasting as necessary. I am going to print this out for her

AfroKink

Thanks for this thread. I really needed to read Romans 2: 13-15. Something has been bothering me and I feel as though it's wrong but I couldn't find anywhere in the Bible where it says it's wrong. But I know in my hear that it is.

chicacanella

Oh shoot! Thanks Alyssa...this is so timely.

I looked at it like..."did I write this?" Definitely not me y'all but revelation from The Holy Spirit.