B-5 Takers

daviine

How much are you taking and is it in tablet or capsule form?

How big are the tablets/capsules and what barnd do you take?

Thanks

adrienne0914

i'm taking 1500mg a day (2 500mg capules in morning, 1 500mg at night). i have the Vitamin Shoppe brand. the capsules are average size. i wish all capsules could be small like the biotin ones.

anyway, i bought it when they had that BIG sale in september. so it was like 70% off. lol!

adrienne

daviine

Yeah man, the bitoin rocks just becasue of the size alone. I went to VS today but decided to see what everyone was taking becasue they didn't have 1000 mg in the store but they have it online. I wasn't sure if it was worth ordering bc it;s water soluble. Perhaps I should just take the 500 mg.

Tara

Um....I take a bucket full! LOL

Right now I'm finishing up my twin labs, I take 5 grams.

When i'm done with my Twinlabs brand, I'll be moving to my Kal brand which is 1000 mg and then I'll be taking 10 grams.

G

I'm taking Twin Labs brand (250 mg per capsule) 2 capsules per day. They are the same size as the biotin capsules I've taken in the past (Solgar).

HTH!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

Ladies who take Vit b5 what benefits does it have on the hair and have you noticed a significant difference since you started taking it?

L

legs71

LondonDiva,

I have been taking b5 for about 3 months now and the results are incredible especially for someone like me who has had thin hair all my life. When I took my braids out last month to have them redone my mother kept commenting on how thick my hair had gotten. I think what b5 does is thicken the actual strand which as a result gives the illusion of a thicker head of hair. My temple area which had thinned out very badly last year in June '02 is growing in looking thicker than it ever has been. I definitely would recommend it for anyone who has thin hair.

kedra70

LondonDiva,

What else did you do to grow back your thinning temple area? I use the ORS Fertilizing balm, and will start using the Nioxin treatment after my next relaxer. I'm also thinking about taking B5.

Thanks,
Kedra

Tracy

I used to call my bun anorexic. I've taken 1000mgs at Jade's suggestion for about 3 years now and the results are astonishing - even to me (I'm rarely astonished..;)). My bun is anorexic no more (but I still hate it! LOL!).

It definitely can thicken the entire head over time but in about 2-3 months you shuld see a definite thickening of the roots which makes the length appear to have gained fullness as well. Thereafter, as you continue to take it, your hair's diameter slowly but surely increases with every inch that grows out. I also experience this with Silica - Kal brand only... I tried the Natrol - no good on me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But the Kal works. If you have thin hair this is worth trying. But you must be consistent. I can pinpoint the places in my strand that were growing out while I was on a B5 hiatus. The difference in thickeness is obvious.

HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HTH

LondonDiva

Thank you ladies for the responses. I am definitely going to add some so my vitamin shopping list.

I've been slipping in this region, so I need a-pick-me-up

azul11

i thought i was over this vitamin thing since the affects it had on me the last time but this assessment perked my ears up. even though thickness was never a problem of mine i do like my hair to be stronger. what are the adverse reactions or affects of this vitamin? please dont say appetite because then i will just have to try something else. most of the pills i used to take increased my appetite and caused a lot of other stuff for me which took me months to reverse. so what are the affects of this pill? God bless you all.

Ennyaa

DAMMIT YOU GUYS STOP IT!!! I CANNOT add another supplement to this regimen. I can't, I can't, I just can't! You guys got me feelin like Gollum in Lord of the Rings fiendin to get my hands on stuff. (My supplements are sooo Preciousssss!) hahahahahahaha

*sigh* Now y'all KNOW I'mma go home and see how much B-5 is in all the stuff I'm already taking right. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'm such a disgrace.

BlkMane

Have any of you taking large doses of B5 (10mg, etc.) consulted with your doctors? Even though it is a vitamin, taking such a high dosage can have some type of side effects.

Be careful.

Kitkat

Ennyaa, you are TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't have problems with thickness (I've got other issues), but you know I'm gonna check my supplements to see how much B-5 I'm getting, too! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BrightEyes

My Multivitamin has 5 mg of B5.

To all the ladies that are talking vitamins individually (i.e., one pill for B6, one for calcium, etc.) might do better to take on multivitamin. It's just easier. In fact, every basic vitamin that you all have recommend at one point is in my One A Day vitamin.

Dionne

Large doses of 10mg or more can cause diarrhea otherwise no other side affects have been reported. Good question

daviine

I can't find my book to confirm but if I remember correctly B-5 is water soluble.. I guess that means that if you wanted to take such high doses, you would split your doses out across the day. But, I'm not an expert. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Enyaaa you are sooooo funny 'Precccccccioussss' I can just hear it being said in that low hiss with the eyes slit /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I take 1000 mg of B5. Its already made my routes feel alot thicker, although I badly need a touch up anyway so that could be it too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dionne

I think you are right. I guess if you took it in the morning and in the night you would be ok. Most b vitamins are water soluble. I think they all are. How much water you drink could make a difference too.

Tara

yup. I take my B-5 in split dosages throughout the day. Currently because of my workout routine and fitness goals, I eat five meals per day, so I just take a B-5 with each meal.

BrightEyes

Most of the B vitamins ARE water soulube. However too much B6 can cause nerve problems. The recommeneded dose is 2mg I think, but I take more because I use the contraceptive patch.

To all the ladies that are taking multi-vits, please don't forget that all B-Complex vitamins have elemental names too. I used to forget that. I didn't realize that I was talking the entire B-Complex because I wa looking for actual letter/number combo.

thiamine (B1)
riboflavin (B2)
niacin (B3)
pyridoxine (B6)
cyanocobalamin (B12)
pantothenic acid (B5)
biotin
folic acid (B9)

daviine

Still can't find my book but Vitamins A, D, and E are fat soluble so I believe the rest of the vitamins are water soluble like B and C.

I don't know much about other supplements that aren't vitamins though.

babygirl89

I also take One A Day multivitamins.

How many mgs should you take for hair thickness anyways? Does the person's size matter? I'm clueless.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Most of the B vitamins ARE water soulube. However too much B6 can cause nerve problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brighteyes , I don't know if it's a typo, but just to clarify, is it too much of B5 or B6 that can cause nerve problems?