Ayurvedic - Why so popular?

zara

Hi Ladies

I'm newbie after lurking forever so first of all hellooooo:drunk: Just had a quick question, why is everyone loving the Ayurvedic regimen? It seems really popular. I am curious because it seems to require more effort/commitment yet people are not too bothered by this. Is there a huge difference to using commercial products? Is it cheaper/more expensive? Has the condition of your hair improved dramatically?

I should not be asking because the last thing I need is to add another dimension to my pjism:wallbash:

Please share...

sheba1

Hi Ladies

I'm newbie after lurking forever so first of all hellooooo:drunk: Just had a quick question, why is everyone loving the Ayurvedic regimen? It seems really popular. I am curious because it seems to require more effort/commitment yet people are not too bothered by this. Is there a huge difference to using commercial products? Is it cheaper/more expensive? Has the condition of your hair improved dramatically?

I should not be asking because the last thing I need is to add another dimension to my pjism:wallbash:

Please share...

Hey there, Zara! I'm a newbie, too. My hair has definitely improved in just the last 6 weeks, or so, of ayurvedic care. The addition of the oils and powders (teas) have caused my hair to behave in ways I didn't know were possible. Hey, I have curls I didn't know about! LOL And my hair has always been kind of mushy. But now it's more balanced and strong. I love it!

It's definitely cheap. A box of amla is about 2 bucks at the indian grocery and will last you teas for months.

I don't think it takes any more commitment or time, either. For instance, you might oil your hair with amla or vatika as a prepoo. That's not hard, at all. Also, I see that some ladies just add the powders to their conditioner for an ayurvedic co wash. I was doing the tea rinses when I first started, and I decided I want the tea to spend more time in my hair so I just use the tea mixed with glycerine, SAA's (silk amino acids) and a conditioner for a leave in daily conditioner. It's in a spray bottle and I just spritz away. There are all kinds of ways to enjoy the benefits of ayurveda without it being very time consuming.

I know Sareca got the whole henna process, from mixing to completely rinsed out, down to an hour and a half. That's just a regular deep condition for most people! Although, she's a pro, so I don't know if I should use her as an example. :grin:

Also, I know a lot of ladies have great processes for making their teas. The easiest for me is that I have a clean mens dress sock that I put my powder in. I only need 1 to 2 teaspoons at a time. I tie a knot in the sock and throw it in a pot to steep. Works like a charm and it's very easy. I then just turn the sock inside out and rinse it out, wash and hang to dry.

ETA: There's a great mud inside that sock when I'm done, too. I should probably freeze it and do a deep mud mask later. I think I'll start doing that!

Last edited:

that_1_grrrl

I co-sign on everything sheba1 said. My hair just feels different. Even when it's dying of thirst, it somehow feels healthy and happy. And, best of all, it feels soooo strong. I can tug on my hair and not break one strand. I have pretty good slip now. Most knots don't require much to get out. I get really good curl definition with either coconut or vatika oil. I love using vatika for styling.

Hmmm... they're also multipurpose. There's so many things you can do with them!

that_1_grrrl

Oh, and it IS very cheap. All of the products I bought (amla oil, coconut oil, vatika oil, alma, shikakai, and neem powders) came to a grand total of <$20. I got it in late December, use the powders twice a week, and I think it'll last me until at least February.

zara

Oh, and it IS very cheap. All of the products I bought (amla oil, coconut oil, vatika oil, alma, shikakai, and neem powders) came to a grand total of <$20. I got it in late December, use the powders twice a week, and I think it'll last me until at least February.

wow, that's really cheap. I had no idea:rolleyes:

that_1_grrrl

Oh, and I meant late November, not December. It's lasted me one full month, and I know I can get through January with them. I'm hoping they last until March.

zara

Oh, and I meant late November, not December. It's lasted me one full month, and I know I can get through January with them. I'm hoping they last until March.

That's still pretty good. Do you need to clarify your hair?

that_1_grrrl

That's still pretty good. Do you need to clarify your hair?

Well, amla is called "the dirt buster" and neem is anti-bacterial, so I don't bother to clarify. My hair feels pretty clean after I'm done using them. Then again, I'm natural, so it may be different for people who relax. I may start using shampoo once a month. I haven't decided yet.

omnipadme

All I have to say is that after trying an ayurvedic regimen for just a few days, my hair felt amazing. I had excellent curl definition, my scalp tingles (feels like its growing), and all the products were so cheap! And lucky for me, I have an Indian grocer in walking distance from my apartment. They were very helpful as far and showing me how to use each product in detail.

Platinum

I've been mixing my Ayurvedic powders into my condish for a few months now and I love what it does for my hair. My hair is softer, sheds less, and breakage has stopped. It's also gotten thicker and stronger since I started using it. I like using the oils for scalp massages and prepoos.

Shikakai is "the dirt buster" powder.

Last edited:

flowinlocks

What made me try it was all the members on here with hair to their waist or longer, a lot of them use Ayurveda. I cosign with what the other ladies said. It's cheap, the powders and oils cleanses, strengthen, moisturize, and promote growth, need I say more...... My hair has been thriving since using Ayurveda. I suggest you read through all the Ayurveda threads in their entirety if you plan to experiment. It details what products do what, how to use them , and setback members had from not using correctly. Platinum bumped a lot of the threads yesterday. I know it seems like a lot to read, but it's so worth it , plus you'll get to see all those beautiful Ayurveda heads of hair:grin:

Last edited:

Chameleonchick

It is cheap because we are using what nature has provided for us. I like all aspects of Ayurveda, in fact the hair care is what drew me to start taking classes to become an Ayurvedic Herbalist. This is a proven system for over 5,000 years if that isn't enough proof I don't know what is. :grin:

Lucky's Mom

I love what everyone shared.
I started working with these powders, because I am ALL about organic/ natural products. I also think that if the peoples of Africa and Asia were using this for 5000 years... it cannot hurt!!!!

Effective, Cheap, and I hope the mainstream cosmetics industry NEVER figures this out.

that_1_grrrl

I've been mixing my Ayurvedic powders into my condish for a few months now and I love what it does for my hair. My hair is softer, sheds less, and breakage has stopped. It's also gotten thicker and stronger since I started using it. I like using the oils for scalp massages and prepoos.

Shikakai is "the dirt buster" powder.

Yeah, I realized my error after I posted. I even ran into the bathroom to see which one was "the dirt buster."

Platinum

Yeah, I realized my error after I posted. I even ran into the bathroom to see which one was "the dirt buster."

It's cool.:look: We're all here to help each other. I hope we all can experience some awesome growth in 2009 with Ayurveda.:grin:

that_1_grrrl

It's cool.:look: We're all here to help each other. I hope we all can experience some awesome growth in 2009 with Ayurveda.:grin:

Mmhmmm. I hoping that since it's making my hair stronger, I can retain some length longer than whatever the heck this length I'm at now is (it's chin/neck/shoulder). 22 years of the same length gets pretty boring.

MissMusic

I like it most because its personalized haircare for cheap. You can make a mix that is just what your hair needs and the benefits are immediate.

sheba1

What made me try it was all the members on here with hair to their waist or longer, a lot of them use Ayurveda. I cosign with what the other ladies said. It's cheap, the powders and oils cleanses, strengthen, moisturize, and promote growth, need I say more...... My hair has been thriving since using Ayurveda. I suggest you read through all the Ayurveda threads in their entirety if you plan to experiment. It details what products do what, how to use them , and setback members had from not using correctly. Platinum bumped a lot of the threads yesterday. I know it seems like a lot to read, but it's so worth it , plus you'll get to see all those beautiful Ayurveda heads of hair:grin:

Oh yes, this is definitely what got me. Once I saw Vestaluv1's 6 month progress I was googling indian grocery stores within a reasonable distance. Amazing progress; healthy, shiny, beautiful, growing... everything we're looking for. I hope she doesn't mind my posting a link to her progress thread here. Her six month progress is in her siggy and the difference between her braidouts can be seen on her member page.

zara

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like it improves growth and retention which sounds excellent.

isawstars

I am really tempted! But what turns me off is the mixing and measuring powders... Is that not complicated? Is a Shikakai shampoo bar considered Ayurvedic? If so, maybe I will try it and start from there...

Platinum

I am really tempted! But what turns me off is the mixing and measuring powders... Is that not complicated? Is a Shikakai shampoo bar considered Ayurvedic? If so, maybe I will try it and start from there...

Yes you can use a Shikakai bar. I prefer to mix and measure with powders because I don't know what kind of "fillers" the poo bars contain.

zara

You nailed it. That's my issue as well. Powders, paste, tea e.t.c sounds like a lot of effort. I think I already do way too much with my hair. The benefits have to be substantial for me to do all that. Maybe I'm just lazy....the responses have made it very tempting...

isawstars

You nailed it. That's my issue as well. Powders, paste, tea e.t.c sounds like a lot of effort. I think I already do way too much with my hair. The benefits have to be substantial for me to do all that. Maybe I'm just lazy....the responses have made it very tempting...

Haha I was wondering the same thing myself... maybe I'm just lazy! :grin: I'd like to seem some before and after... at the moment I'm googling it.

Chameleonchick

That sounds like agood start to get introduced....but here's some advice if you can cook without a recipe and you just use your knowledge of the ingredients you can make some fantabulous Ayurvedic concoctions!