Ayurvedic ladies or those who Pre-Oil...how do you not end up with oily hair?

Mizani_Mrs

Ok so i've been pre-oiling (virgin coconut oil or vatika oil) for a few years now with GREAT success. But it requires washing 2x with shampoo to get rid of the greasiness. But now i'm ready to eliminate shampoo out of my regi. Anyone who pre-oil...what ayurvedic mix do you use that rinses the oil from the hair clean?

FYI: i've been using Vatika oil for a long time, but I've just recently been doing an Amla-Maka-Brahmi tea rinse and my hair ends up sooooo soft. But I ended up having to shampoo the oil out even after I did this rinse, so i feel like i shampoo'd away all of the softening benefits of the rinse. I have purchased, but have yet to experiment with the Aritha,Neem, Shikakai, Rose powders.

any tips?

Bun Mistress

How much oil are you using? I have been pre oiling for a year a littone on the scalp and length and haven't had this problem even when not using shampoo but you can't be heavy handed on the oil.

loolalooh

How much oil are you using? I have been pre oiling for a year a littone on the scalp and length and haven't had this problem even when not using shampoo but you can't be heavy handed on the oil.

Cosign. You may need to use less oil ... just enough for your hair to soak it in.

I agree with the above...I've never had this problem I just put the powders over the oils let it stay for an hour and wash out...maybe it;s the amount of oil you are using??

Mizani_Mrs

yea i admit...i'm pretty heavy on the oils... Maybe like 2-3 TBS. sometimes 4 :look: I'll try lightening up. THANKS! but i'm still wondering if any of the ayurvedic herbs can cleanse away oil?

MzJai

Hi MM,

Are you oiling wet or dry? I found that when I applied the oil on my dry hair that I ended up using more oil than necessary.
So now I wet it in the shower and then apply the oil (oil rinse). This way i use WAY less oil and reduce the greasiness. Can't speak much for the tub but :rolleyes:.....

sharifeh

Hmm, how much oil are you using? When I oil prepoo, it washes out even with a cowash. Are sure you need shampoo to get rid of it? Maybe you just think you need shampoo to get rid of it?

yea i admit...i'm pretty heavy on the oils... Maybe like 2-3 TBS. sometimes 4 :look: I'll try lightening up. THANKS! but i'm still wondering if any of the ayurvedic herbs can cleanse away oil?

aritha is a cleansing herb
so is shikakai but I'd suggest you be careful when using this herb it's powerful

Last edited:

flowinlocks

I'm heavy handed with my oils. Sometimes I use 2 or 3 different types. I never have a problem with oiliness even when I cowash. The answer to your question, yes Ayurveda powders do remove oil and cleanse the hair especially Shikakai and Aritha. I have not use regular poo in over a year, except when I relax. Ayurvedic poo bars are also good for when you want clean hair but don't want to mix powders.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I use a vatika coconut oil, amla oil, bhringraj oil, vatika olive oil mixture (add garlic every other week) overnight. I wash with Brahmi, Aritha, Neem, Shikakai & Amla powders mixed into my co-wash conditioner (presently, VO5 or suave). I have no oily hair problems.......

vkb247

I use more or as much oil as you do and I don't have any problems with greasy hair. I do have a lot of hair though but it looks like you do too.

Have you ever tried using conditioner to get the oil out instead of poo? My reggie goes something like this.

1. If I have too much product or bad ingredient buildup on my hair than I will cowash and airdry until my hair is damp and then apply a 1tbsp or so of coconut oil to my hair. If not, I go straight to step 2.
2. Apply henna or whatever ayurvedic treatment I am trying that week to my dry/dirty or clean/oiled/damp hair. I leave it in for at least 2 hours or 4 hours for henna, sometimes overnight. I do not use tea or pastes. My mix is like pancake batter, no oils or conditioners mixed in, and applied with an applicator bottle.
3. I rinse very well for several minutes to get all the treatment out.
4. I cowash, rinse, add more oil (lots), apply more conditioner and detangle
or
5. Use a poo bar to get all the residue out, add more oil (lots), add conditioner and detangle
6. Rinse.
7. I squeeze excess water out of my hair and apply 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil, then leave in, and finally use a curly pudding or gel.
8. When my hair is dry I often put more oil and throughout the week I moisturize with water or leave in and seal with more oil.

As you can see my hair always has plenty of oil in it but I never have oily hair.

Last edited:

Mizani_Mrs

I used to oil while just barely damp. but i've recently started oiling while dry cause i like the slick detangling properties it gives. yea i'm not too thrilled about the greasy shower either. LOL

Hi MM,

Are you oiling wet or dry? I found that when I applied the oil on my dry hair that I ended up using more oil than necessary.
So now I wet it in the shower and then apply the oil (oil rinse). This way i use WAY less oil and reduce the greasiness. Can't speak much for the tub but :rolleyes:.....

Mizani_Mrs

thanks so much for the suggestions ladies! I'm gonna try using less oil, then i'll try using conditioner to wash it out instead of poo. and then i'll try experimenting with the aritha & shikakai powders. THANKS!

sleek

thanks so much for the suggestions ladies! I'm gonna try using less oil, then i'll try using conditioner to wash it out instead of poo. and then i'll try experimenting with the aritha & shikakai powders. THANKS!

Aritha can be very drying, so be careful I used it and had to moisturize my hair everyday!!!!!

werenumber2

I pre-oil on dry hair with Hairveda Vatika Frosting and I apply it pretty liberally too. I let it sit on my head for a few hours then I do my ayurvedic paste, cowash about 3 times, then do a DC for about 15 minutes. After all that, my hair is nowhere near greasy.

*Muffin*

Hi! I'm limiting how much I shampoo as well. As soon as I'm done with this bottle of SLS-free shampoo I probably won't be repurchasing shampoo anymore. It's costly and there are cheaper and just as effective ways of cleaning the hair without the use of shampoo. Anyway, some good detergent free options for getting rid of oil build-up while cleansing your hair are:

1. Aritha and/or Shikakai powder
2. Lemon juice or ACV
3. Baking Soda

Both Aritha and shikakai are natural saponins and will create a mild lather and cleanse hair without the use of harsh detergents. I haven't used shikakai, but I've used Aritha. I make a tea of out aritha, tulsi, and neem and put the liquid into a spray bottle. Then I spray the mixture into my hair and let it sit for a bit before rinsing. I'll repeat until I feel the oil build-up is all gone.

I also like using lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. With lemon juice I usually mix some in my regular portion of conditioner and then, after wetting my hair, I will co-wash with this until I feel the oil is gone. Then after deep conditioning I will do a final rinse with an ACV dilution.

Baking soda is the universal cleanser, but I don't use it too much anymore, but it does get the hair very clean. I used to follow it up with an acv rinse to bring my hair back to balance.