Ayurvedic Ladies - Does your hair smell.. different?

yodie

I've been goin' the ayurvedic route for about 1.5 months now and I love it
BUT... my hair seems to smell more now, than when I used shampoo. It's not STANK, just something I'm not used too and I wouldn't want my honey smelling my hair.

Even back in the day when I washed only once every two weeks, I still didn't smell my hair.

Now, I smell it.

Do any of the Ayurvedic ladies have a different smell to it?

1. I wash weekly with shikaki/amla oils OR my new shikaki/amla/aloe vera shampoo bar.

2. Use Castor Oil on my ends every night.

3. Use my MN mixture on my scalp.

That's it. Any ideas or suggestions?

is it possible ur scalp just isnt being cleaned thoroughly.?..... or that you are having more oil production.?. i noticed this just randomly, i dont do ayurveda but at some point i noticed a different and stronger scalp odor,, i think its more oil...... i really couldnt say whats causing it in ur case though

yodie

ya know, I was thinking that it might be the castor oil. I didn't notice it before I started using castor oil.

This may just be the culprit.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting my scalp cleaned. I just used regular shampoo last week, so I don't think I have excess build up. (regretted using shampoo because of how it knotted and stripped my hair).

Starr1

I've been using ayurveda for almost a year now and I've noticed a slight difference in the smell of my hair. . . for instance after henna, even after rinsing well and CO washing, a faint henna smell will linger for a day or two (which I don't mind). Or after washing with a shikakai/amla/rose water paste and then rinsing and conditioning- my hair smells faintly like flowers. But I think the most important thing is that my hair smells more like, well, hair. It's not the super squeaky clean shampoo smell, or the covered in conditioner smell, or the smoothered in style product smell (which I think we don't notice because we're so used to it), but instead my hair smells like plain old hair. It's not bad- just different.

And if your honey says something just ask him if he'd prefer you have beautiful healthy hair that smells subtly different or if he'd prefer you looking baldheaded and crazy but smelling the same. I think we both know which option he'll choose. :lachen:

I don't use MN, but that might contribute to the smell if you don't rinse it out.

yodie

Love your hair!!!!

Wish I could say my hai smelled like flowers, but it doesn't. I may be overloading my hair with oil or it could actually be the MN on my scalp.

I'm going to shampoo (ayurvedic of course) tomorrow and skip castor oil for the week.

i'll get to the bottom of it. weird smellin' hair and all ... somethin' is workin' right because my hair is growing and it's moisturized than its ever been.

Thanks.

I've been using ayurveda for almost a year now and I've noticed a slight difference in the smell of my hair. . . for instance after henna, even after rinsing well and CO washing, a faint henna smell will linger for a day or two (which I don't mind). Or after washing with a shikakai/amla/rose water paste and then rinsing and conditioning- my hair smells faintly like flowers. But I think the most important thing is that my hair smells more like, well, hair. It's not the super squeaky clean shampoo smell, or the covered in conditioner smell, or the smoothered in style product smell (which I think we don't notice because we're so used to it), but instead my hair smells like plain old hair. It's not bad- just different.

And if your honey says something just ask him if he'd prefer you have beautiful healthy hair that smells subtly different or if he'd prefer you looking baldheaded and crazy but smelling the same. I think we both know which option he'll choose. :lachen:

I don't use MN, but that might contribute to the smell if you don't rinse it out.

Starr1

Love your hair!!!!

Wish I could say my hai smelled like flowers, but it doesn't. I may be overloading my hair with oil or it could actually be the MN on my scalp.

I'm going to shampoo (ayurvedic of course) tomorrow and skip castor oil for the week.

i'll get to the bottom of it. weird smellin' hair and all ... somethin' is workin' right because my hair is growing and it's moisturized than its ever been.

Thanks.

Thank you!

You could always try using a lighter oil if the castor oil is causing the problem, since oils do attract dirt and lint and frequent use of a heavy oil would attract a lot of dirt. And more dirt could contribute to the smell as well. Think of it like dust on a table- it doesn't stink but it does have that light dusty smell. Try coconut, sweet almond, jojoba, or monoi oil.

missnurselady

I dont notice any difference but my dog sure does!!! whenever I pre poo with amla and brahmi, she constantly claws and tries to lick my hair:nono: this wouldnt be a big problem if she wasnt a 55lb pitbull with huge paws:grin:

Lovelylocs

It smells like my Amla oil. I don't really practice ayurveda. I would like to, but I just don't. However, I do use Amla oil as a prepoo and my hair smells like the Amla oil when I'm done, but it is a subtle scent and u would have to be really close to smell it.

nappity

I think its the Amla Oil. It doesn't have a very nice smell. My So comments on it also- but I explain that its the Oil. Castor generally doesn't have a smell but its heaviness may add to your hair attracting and keeping dirt. If you really cant take the smell, substitute your pre-poo with Vatika oil. It smells better than Amla.

Lavendar

I really like the subtle smell I get with the herbs, but sometimes I do add a few drop of essential oils like rosemary, sweet orange, and/or peppermint. That helps a lot.

yodie

Thanks ladies.

I think I need to switch up on my oils. Of course I purchased a huge bottle of amla and I hate to waste anything.

I'll use my coconut oil and try jojoba oil. This should help.

Happy New Year to all of you!!

carameldiva

I haven't had this problem- my hair smells different but i like the smell and i do still co-wash daily and then do an herbal tea rinse(neem powder, fo-ti powder and shikakai powder), then a homemade leave-in spray. I also still henna once a week. The only smell anyone complained about was the himgange ayurvedic oil but i like it so i only wear it at home for overnite baggy treatments.

the himgange oil is like putting peppermint on your scalp-it is cool and soothing. I love it and i think that it contributing to my growth.

Last edited:

phyl73

I've been goin' the ayurvedic route for about 1.5 months now and I love it
BUT... my hair seems to smell more now, than when I used shampoo. It's not STANK, just something I'm not used too and I wouldn't want my honey smelling my hair.

Even back in the day when I washed only once every two weeks, I still didn't smell my hair.

Now, I smell it.

Do any of the Ayurvedic ladies have a different smell to it?

1. I wash weekly with shikaki/amla oils OR my new shikaki/amla/aloe vera shampoo bar.

2. Use Castor Oil on my ends every night.

3. Use my MN mixture on my scalp.

That's it. Any ideas or suggestions?

I checked out your fokti. I'm growing my nape out as well. I noticed that the pic was nine months ago. How is it going for you? Is the second picture of MN use? My hair is like that in the back....:perplexed It has gotten better and I will update my fokti in February. Also, the oils do make your hair smell differently...but I just cover it with coconut oil. I know some hate the smell, but to me...it's yummy.:lick:

Cleve_gryl

Mine smells "herbal" but nothing that I can't bear. I always DC or cowash after using the herbs or oils, so the herby smell is masked by the conditioner.

yodie

I checked out your fokti. I'm growing my nape out as well. I noticed that the pic was nine months ago. How is it going for you? Is the second picture of MN use? My hair is like that in the back....:perplexed It has gotten better and I will update my fokti in February. Also, the oils do make your hair smell differently...but I just cover it with coconut oil. I know some hate the smell, but to me...it's yummy.:lick:

Those photos are pre-MN.
The relaxer killed my nape, so it was less than the photo that you actually saw.

However... progress to report today. I pressed my nape today and I have about half an inch froim my MN usage. I'm sooo excited. Maybe I'll snap a pic and start udpating my fotki.

The oils definitely make my scalp smell different. I don't like it at all.

yodie

Mine smells "herbal" but nothing that I can't bear. I always DC or cowash after using the herbs or oils, so the herby smell is masked by the conditioner.

I always use a nice smelling conditioner, but that "smell " returned. I'm just not used to it, but I'll switch oils and see what happens.

caribgirl

I just started using the AV powders and I must say that my hair smells like oatmeal and flowers :look: but in a good healthy way. I have added peppermint oil into my paste and my hair still smells the same for a few days.