Ayurvedic powders lighten hair?

Lovelylocs

Why does my hair seem lighter now that I have been using a mixture of amla and shikakai than before I started using ayurvedic methods? I thought it was supposed to promote dark hair? Has this happened to anyone else?

KPH

House Head
but my individual hairs are more stronger and my thin hair is looking fuller but it is definitely getting reddddddddddddddddddddd:ohwell:

Fine 4s

I was looking for the dark hair result but I think mine is getting lighter too or more red.

I thought at least the amla oil pre-poos I've been doing would def. make it darker. How long does it take before the hair changes color?

Lovelylocs

I dunno. I'm relaxed and my hair is a brownish color w/some reddish highlights (thick, chunky highlights!) :yep: Are you ladies relaxed? Maybe it has smthg to do w/that? Maybe it is filling in smthg in the hair strands and depositing some color?

sunshinelady

I started a thread about this a while back. I used the Swastik Shikaikai bar and it turned my hair red very quickly. I've stopped using it.

MoMo

Mine is turning red too. I wonder if the Shikikai is doing that because Amla is supposed to darken the hair right? It's all good because I'm gonna color soon anyway.

JustKiya

If ayurvedics turn my hair red, I might truly be in love!!! :love:

I've been trying to be a redhead since I was old enough to understand people had different colored hair.... (does that make me a brunette-hater? :lachen:) but my hair couldn't handle the chemicals.......

felicia

I'm natural and it started making my hair a medium brown color, that's part of the reason I stopped using it.

lovelychar

This is interesting. I love red hair. I would love for it to gradually and naturally do it to mines. How are you ladies using it? as a pre poo what?

BirdieGray

Those of you whose hair has turned red, which brand of powders are you guys using? Do you do pre-poos? If so, with what? How much shikaki to amla are you using? Are you doing a rinse or a mask with the powders? Do you ACV rinse afterwards? Are you using henna? Are you using any hibiscus? (I read somewhere that hibiscus can turn hair red, but I'm just wondering what the circumstances of your situations are????) TIA...:spinning:

JustKiya

Those of you whose hair has turned red,
which brand of powders are you guys using?
Do you do pre-poos? If so, with what?
How much shikaki to amla are you using?
Are you doing a rinse or a mask with the powders? Do you ACV rinse afterwards? Are you using henna? Are you using any hibiscus? (I read somewhere that hibiscus can turn hair red, but I'm just wondering what the circumstances of your situations are????) TIA...:spinning:

I'm using Hesh Shikakai and Amla.
I'm not using any pre-poos.
2 parts A to one part S.
Tea that I pour on and 'work' into my hair, and let sit til I feel like getting back in the shower and rinsing it out.
No ACV rinse.
I use henna once every 8 weeks.
No hibiscus.

Lovelylocs

Those of you whose hair has turned red, which brand of powders are you guys using? Do you do pre-poos? If so, with what? How much shikaki to amla are you using? Are you doing a rinse or a mask with the powders? Do you ACV rinse afterwards? Are you using henna? Are you using any hibiscus? (I read somewhere that hibiscus can turn hair red, but I'm just wondering what the circumstances of your situations are????) TIA...:spinning:
No henna. No hibiscus. Prepoo w/amla oil by Dabur, then I do a tea rinse w/shikakai and amla by Hesh (1:2 ratio). I usually only leave it in my hair for a few minutes in the shower, then I condition. :yep: My hair has been slowly turning a reddish color ever since. The other day, I left it in for over an hour. My hair is now a lighter brown w/some red highlights and you can really see the red all over in the light. :yep: I wonder if the Hesh powders contain henna...

JustKiya

No henna. No hibiscus. Prepoo w/amla oil by Dabur, then I do a tea rinse w/shikakai and amla by Hesh (1:2 ratio). I usually only leave it in my hair for a few minutes in the shower, then I condition. :yep: My hair has been slowly turning a reddish color ever since. The other day, I left it in for over an hour. My hair is now a lighter brown w/some red highlights and you can really see the red all over in the light. :yep: I wonder if the Hesh powders contain henna...

:ohwell: I don't know if that would make a difference. I was using straight henna for MONTHS, and never saw the amount of red I've seen in the month or two I've been doing ayurvedics....

Lovelylocs

:ohwell: I don't know if that would make a difference. I was using straight henna for MONTHS, and never saw the amount of red I've seen in the month or two I've been doing ayurvedics....

okay. Maybe it is the shikakai then. The odd thing is that neither powder is red.

mnemosyne

okay. Maybe it is the shikakai then. The odd thing is that neither powder is red.

Well neither is henna at first and we all know what happens when you use it!

Mixing shikakai and amla makes a brownish mixture. It's not that far of a stretch. =)

guudhair

I hope it's something else :perplexed...I just started using Shikakai, Amla and Bhringraj powders and love the way my hair feels afterwards...I want my hair to stay dark black not light red :nono:...

Ballerina_Bun

my hair started lightening a little. I thought it was because I was adding teh Kalpi Tone (sp??) to my mixture. I started using that int he early fall season. I stopped using it in December I think.

Maybe it was the shikakai doing it though ... i don't know