Ayurveda users which do you prefere Tea or Paste and why?

Aggie

Okay, this morning I did an experiment. I put 3/4oz each of aloe oil, shikakai oil and JBCO in a color applicator bottle and heated it up for 30 seconds in the microwave, then squeezed it through my scalp and over my hair. I scritched my scalp for 3 minutes and put on a plastic cap. I then mixed 3 TBS each of brahmi and kalpi tone powders with 5 TBS of Miss Key 10 in 1 conditioner, 2 oz shikakai oil and a little hot distilled water and mixed into a very thick paste. After mixing I added it to my pre-oiled hair and scalp and let sit for 2 hours, 1 hour was under the dryer, 1 without.

I proceeded to wash it out under the shower and I kid you not, that mixture was so so soft even as it was washing out. I almost didn't need to cowash it out. MY hair is still extremely soft from the paste.Now bare in mind, I am 9 weeks post and was a little hesitant at first, but I am so glad I did this now. I truly believe it was because I pre-heated the oil before adding to my hair and added more heat under the dryer. Hope this helps some relaxer stretchers.

Last edited:

empressri

bump

i haven't tried the tea but i love the paste so far!

so i went back to the indian bazaar and lo and behold they had my hesh amla powder! the ladies were so helpful, and didn't realize that you could even use amla on your face!

anywho i did 4 teaspoons amla, 2 teaspoons shikakai and 2 teaspoons brahmi. mixed warm water to make a paste. well, first i prepooed using vatika oil, left that in my hair for a couple hours.

in the shower, i saturated my hair with water, sectioned off into four sections, detangled, and added the paste from roots to ends section by section smoothing through. i can see why they say DO NOT COMB your hair when the paste is in, cause im sure you will take your hair out. i just smoothed it in and smushed it into my scalp.

after the paste was in, i washed the sexy body and then rinsed my hair section by section, keeping each in a big twist and clipping it up out of the way. i used that method and cowashed twice (still section by section) with the vo5 tea therapy and i have to say OMG!!!!!!! MY HAIR IS SO SOFT!!! the vo5 worked much better this time i am so pleased.

but OMG MY HAIR IS SO SOFT!! the left side of my hair is soooo loose it's ridiculous. i can't believe it, but it seems to have tightened up my texture!! all over!! im deep conditioning now with hairveda sitri nillah hair masque. im going to twist, most likely with qhemet.

i can see doing this at least once a week, seriously.

Sindeee

I was told by one of the Indian ladies in the Indo-Pak grocery store to NEVER put any Ayurveda products in the microwave....NEVER!! She said the waves counteracts with the powders & the oils. If you do microwave the products, It's like doing nothing at all and you will never see results.

Last edited:

MochaEyeCandy

****Stupid Questions Alert****
How are you all using herbal tea rinses? I know how they're made, but when in the washing process are you using them? And do you rinse them out of your hair?

TIA

Essensual

When I did tea rinses, I would pour the rinse on my head (I was bent over a bathtub) and then put a shower cap on. :perplexed Okay, writing it out made it seem really ridiculous.

I'm not sure if it's ridiculous, but when I do my regular tea rinses (Lipton's) it is EXACTLY as you just discribed it, and I've gotten good results. When I DO use Ayurvedic powders, I've been using Longhairdontcare's method of mixing it with oils and cheapie conditioners. I may have to give the teas a try, but I've enjoyed the few times that I've used the conditioner mixes.HTH.

sparklebh

I love them all, but it's the way you go by mixing it that counts (just me). first i did the paste and yes it was messy. so now I add the paste to me condish and it works out just fine. I have also made the tea and I love it also. If you do the paste let it set on the hair (paste with condish) as you take your bath and after your bath just wash it out. do a dc after the wash and a reg. condish after that.

Miss*Tress

For those who've tried both tea and paste, which one leaves your hair feeling better (disregarding the mixing and application aspects)? Thanks

KaramelDiva1978

I actually have always done the tea rinses and its harsh, but since I use a good deep condish, I have good results. I am actually doing one today.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Empress, I did basically the same thing, but i added cassia and mixed in conditioner. I promise i got relaxer-like effects....L.U.V. IT!!!

bump

i haven't tried the tea but i love the paste so far!

so i went back to the indian bazaar and lo and behold they had my hesh amla powder! the ladies were so helpful, and didn't realize that you could even use amla on your face!

anywho i did 4 teaspoons amla, 2 teaspoons shikakai and 2 teaspoons brahmi. mixed warm water to make a paste. well, first i prepooed using vatika oil, left that in my hair for a couple hours.

in the shower, i saturated my hair with water, sectioned off into four sections, detangled, and added the paste from roots to ends section by section smoothing through. i can see why they say DO NOT COMB your hair when the paste is in, cause im sure you will take your hair out. i just smoothed it in and smushed it into my scalp.

after the paste was in, i washed the sexy body and then rinsed my hair section by section, keeping each in a big twist and clipping it up out of the way. i used that method and cowashed twice (still section by section) with the vo5 tea therapy and i have to say OMG!!!!!!! MY HAIR IS SO SOFT!!! the vo5 worked much better this time i am so pleased.

but OMG MY HAIR IS SO SOFT!! the left side of my hair is soooo loose it's ridiculous. i can't believe it, but it seems to have tightened up my texture!! all over!! im deep conditioning now with hairveda sitri nillah hair masque. im going to twist, most likely with qhemet.

i can see doing this at least once a week, seriously.

infojunkie

I have made pastes with just water.

Pastes with conditioner.

And tea rinses.

I have crazy thick hair. The last time I did a paste/conditioner combo I was picking grit out of my hair for 3 days. That's when I tried to do a tea with equipment I had already.

I took a coffee filter and put 1 tsp of amla and 1 tsp of shikakai powder on it. Folded it over in half. Took the outside corners and folded them in. Then folded it down and put a staple in it to hold it together. I filled my teapot with water and boiled it until it got hot. I let it sit until it got warm (so I wouldn't melt my spray bottle or scorch my scalp). I sprayed my scalp, then I saturated my hair. I baggied for about 30 minutes. Then I rinsed. DC'd and since I was out of leave-in, I put aloe vera gel on my scalp and VCO on my hair and went on about my styling.

In comparison, I like that I can get the pastes to a consistency that will stay put and not run everywhere. But that rinsing wears me down and I still don't get it all. :wallbash:

The tea may be messy but it's quick, easy to rinse and I had enough left over to do my hair again. Just put the rest in the fridge.

As far as how my hair felt, I honestly couldn't tell enough of a difference to go back to using pastes. :well:

Think I'm gonna wash again this weekend. :grin:

Aggie

For those who've tried both tea and paste, which one leaves your hair feeling better (disregarding the mixing and application aspects)? Thanks

If I make the tea without oils, it leaves my hair feeling a little stiff/dry but when I add oils and use it as a daily leave-in spritz for my scalp and hair, it works fine. But I must be honest, I am crazy about the pastes even though I don't like washing it out....go figure:drunk:. I guess it depends on what you want to achieve:yep:.