Ayurveda Support Thread

Aggie

Good morning all!

For Brooklynites interested in buying Indian products and can't find it, here is some info.

I have found a store that sells all the Indian products on Coney Island Avenue and Avenue H. Prices excellent $1.99 for powders, 3.99 for large Vitaki Oil, etc.

I have a good relationship with the owner of the beauty supply store near my house so, I actually bought the products and took it to him. He was excited being of middle eastern descent and seemed familiar with the products. So he asked me to call the store where I bought the products and get his supplier's information.

Bottom line... I drove him to the supplier. The supplier is on 5303 4th Avenue and 53rd st. He sells wholesale and retail. And now my beauty supply store on Nostrand Avenue bet President and Carroll Sts. now carry the oils and powders as well.

So if you can't find it near you in Brooklyn please feel free to visit any of the locations I researched and listed above.

Good looking out Missthang.

vestaluv1

Good time to bump this thread!
I'm sitting here with a mix of Neem, Shikakai, Aritha and Maka powder in my hair. I'm going to rinse it out in...ooh, 15 minutes...1/2 hour in total.

I pre-pooed with Brahmi Amla Oil and I'm gonna deep condition in a mo'.
Lawd, my hair is gonna take me all day.

Since using Ayurveda herbs/oils my hair has DRAMATICALLY turned around.
My hair is stronger, less brittle, softer and has a great shine to it.
I LOVE AYURVEDIC HAIR PRODUCTS! :woot:

MissMasala5

Yesterday I washed with aritha powder only, just to see what it does for my hair. I started off mixing all my powders, and was curious to see what each one does specifically on MY hair.

I oiled as usual, this time with just shikakai oil. I made a thin paste of aritha and plain warm water, let it sit for about 5 minutes. I rinsed and scritched in the shower, then applied the paste. I let it sit while I lathered and washed my body. I rinsed the aritha for a good while. My hair felt normal. Not hard, not stripped, not super soft, just normal and with few tangles. I cowashed twice, Dc'd cowashed again, moisturized and air-dried with three braids for a braid out.

Today, my hair is 95% dry, but I took down a braid to get a good feel. My hair feels great! I thought it would feel drier than usual from the aritha, but it doesn't. It has been put out there that certain herbs are more drying than others, or that they have to be mixed, etc. This is testimony to the fact that these herbs have different results on different heads, and the best way to find out what effect they will have is to try them out one by one and see for yourselves :yep:

talata

Thought I would post my results here too. I happen to have discovered LHCF when I was brought to this thread from google - so of cause I got on the Ayurvedic bandwagon right from the start of my hair journey...And boy am I glad.

This is my progress pic after just 8 weeks. My hair is so much healthier -less frizzies - and it's actually growing. Thanks for all your advice ladies.

I've been pre-pooing overnight twice a week with Ayurvedic oils and alternating between my Shikakai shampoo bar and Ayurvedic powders(tea/paste) for my washes before DCing and roller setting or air drying.

It really felt like so much work in the beginning but I tried to stick with it - and with this progress in such a short time, I'm more motivated than ever.

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
Im still on the Ayuverda wagon. Thanks to Denvergirl I have learned to use my powders in a whole new way. Im 17 weeks post and I have been mixing my powders in my co-wash conditioners. I also pre-poo with either amla, Nyle, maha bhringraj oils. OMG my hair loves it. I have gone ffrom constantly shedding to losing barely 6 hairs throughtout the washing, conditioning and detangling process.

Aggie

Can you still henna on transitioning hair?
I've heard you shouldn't henna relaxed hair :perplexed.

I wouldn't worry about this as henna is good for all hair types whether chemically altered or natural and you can use henna at about 2 weeks after a relaxer. Some ladies like Sareca, have henna'ed even sooner than that because henna works like a protein and it is recommended to use a protein treatment within a week of a relaxer to repair the bonds of your hair's cuticles damaged by the relaxer. HTH.

Ms. Plain Jane

Good morning all!

For Brooklynites interested in buying Indian products and can't find it, here is some info.

I have found a store that sells all the Indian products on Coney Island Avenue and Avenue H. Prices excellent $1.99 for powders, 3.99 for large Vitaki Oil, etc.

I have a good relationship with the owner of the beauty supply store near my house so, I actually bought the products and took it to him. He was excited being of middle eastern descent and seemed familiar with the products. So he asked me to call the store where I bought the products and get his supplier's information.

Bottom line... I drove him to the supplier. The supplier is on 5303 4th Avenue and 53rd st. He sells wholesale and retail. And now my beauty supply store on Nostrand Avenue bet President and Carroll Sts. now carry the oils and powders as well.

So if you can't find it near you in Brooklyn please feel free to visit any of the locations I researched and listed above.

Thanks! This is good for future reference. I plan on trying ayurvedic at some poin this year.

vestaluv1

Questio: Do you need to deep condition after every wash with indian powders?
I wash my hair with ayurvedic powders twice a week, but I have no dryer so dc'ing is time consuming.

PassionFruit

I wash my hair with ayurvedic powders twice a week, but I have no dryer so dc'ing is time consuming.

I do because certain powders are drying...also the conditioner helps rinse out any leftover particles

Aggie

It is highly recommended that you do to prevent dryness caused by the powders.

MrsGrant

I love this thread...I have been slowly incorporating Ayurveda products into my regimen and so far so good. Today I visited and indian grocery and he had a few of the recommended products. I bought Neem power, and parachute oil..He said he would order the shakakai bar for me and I can pick that up next week. I'm so excited. Right now I am sitting with a mixture of Ayuverdic oils in my hair while my Neem powder is steeping. Can't wait to see the results...wish me luck ladies

Oh yeah...i need to make a list of all the powders I need.

Aggie

I just mixed together my henna treatment. It comprises of:

75 grams of Henna from FNWL
1/2 TBS of shikakai powder
1/2 TBS of amla powder
1 and a 1/2 TBS bhringraj powder
1 and a 1/2 TBS brahmi powder
1 TBS hibiscus petal powder
1 TBS ginger root powder for scent purposes
2 TBS of Queen Helene Cholesterol Conditioning Cream
10 drops each of rosemary, lavender and cedarwood essential oils
6 ml of fenugreek seed extract from www.vitacost.com
1 and 1/2 cups of strained fenugreek tea (made from boiled powdered fenugreek of distilled water and coconut oil)
Enough water to make a yogurt-like paste.

Blend all dry powders together. Add essential oils to strained fenugreek tea rinse and mix well. Add and mix the rinse into blended henna and powders into a paste of a yogurt consistency. Cover with Saran wrap and a steamy hot damp towel and put on top of my microwave until morning. Allow henna color to release for about 8 - 10 hours overnight.

Tonight I will DC on dry hair overnight and clarify my hair in the morning. After clarifying, allow to air dry a little and add amla and shikakai oils before applying the henna. I will apply henna to damp hair, wrap with saran wrap, then foil wrap and keep it in my hair for about 3 hours, wash out with some cheapie conditioner a few times until all powders are out and deep condition again for a couple of hours.

ETA: This henna treatment has no ACV or lemon juice in it. I did that with my last treatment and it was too drying. I had to DC 2 or 3 times and overnight once to get my moisture balance back. I even had to baggy a couple of times. That acid is murder on my dry hair. I think the amla powder and oil are enough acids for my henna treatments.

Last edited:

MrsGrant

I am so depressed right now....ok I stated earlier that I had been using some ayurveda oils with success. So today I decided to visit and indian store where i picked up some neem powder.

Tonight I did a pre-poo with parachute coconut oil and vatika oil for 1 hour. Then i made a rinse with the neem powder, strained and just let it sit in my hair for about an hour. I wash that out for about 5 minutes and added deep conditioner. wash and put NTM leave- in along with another dominican leave-in. My hair is shedding so bad. It has been shedding for almost a year now. With all the great results everyone has had, I just knew this would atleast stop my shedding. All of this shedding is thinning my hair and I feel like my bsl hair will be all gone if this does not stop soon. :nono::nono: Ladies please help. I really feel like giving up and shaving my head. I know that is extreme but I'm so discouraged right now. :sad: What should I do to stop this from happening. I mean it sheds if i just touch it. forget about letting it air dry because that doesnt help either.:ohwell: I just want my heathly thick hair back....any feedback would be really appreciated. TIA

Aggie

I am so depressed right now....ok I stated earlier that I had been using some ayurveda oils with success. So today I decided to visit and indian store where i picked up some neem powder.

Tonight I did a pre-poo with parachute coconut oil and vatika oil for 1 hour. Then i made a rinse with the neem powder, strained and just let it sit in my hair for about an hour. I wash that out for about 5 minutes and added deep conditioner. wash and put NTM leave- in along with another dominican leave-in. My hair is shedding so bad. It has been shedding for almost a year now. With all the great results everyone has had, I just knew this would atleast stop my shedding. All of this shedding is thinning my hair and I feel like my bsl hair will be all gone if this does not stop soon. :nono::nono: Ladies please help. I really feel like giving up and shaving my head. I know that is extreme but I'm so discouraged right now. :sad: What should I do to stop this from happening. I mean it sheds if i just touch it. forget about letting it air dry because that doesnt help either.:ohwell: I just want my heathly thick hair back....any feedback would be really appreciated. TIA

Firstly, When have you last clarified your hair? This should be done at least once every 3-4 weeks. When my hair sheds, I use good old garlic. Here's the treatment I use:

Crush 7-9 cloves of garlic and add to 2 oz of extra virgin olive oil(EVOO) and heat in microwave oven for 20-25 seconds or so and add to scalp. Massage in gently and put on a plastic cap and leave on for 30 minutes with or without heat. I personally prefer to pre-poo this way with a little heat when my hair is shedding. Repeat this treatment with this treatment every wash for about 2 - 3 months.

You should experience less and less shedding each time. Shedding is a normal response of our hair but sometimes it becomes excessive and it's good to try and slow it down a little. This method works. It is normal to shed about 50-100 hairs a day. When you wash and DC, the garlic odor will go away.

Now if you want to, perhaps you should look into getting some Alter Ego Garlic Treatment as well. I also have Nutrine Garlic shampoo and conditioner for the same purpose. The Nutrine Poo works like a clarifying shampoo so be light with this one, okay?

Good Luck!

MrsGrant

Firstly, When have you last clarified your hair? This should be done at least once every 3-4 weeks. When my hair sheds, I use good old garlic. Here's the treatment I use:

Crush 7-9 cloves of garlic and add to 2 oz of extra virgin olive oil(EVOO) and heat in microwave oven for 20-25 seconds or so and add to scalp. Massage in gently and put on a plastic cap and leave on for 30 minutes with or without heat. I personally prefer to pre-poo this way with a little heat when my hair is shedding. Repeat this treatment with this treatment every wash for about 2 - 3 months.

You should experience less and less shedding each time. Shedding is a normal response of our hair but sometimes it becomes excessive and it's good to try and slow it down a little. This method works. It is normal to shed about 50-100 hairs a day. When you wash and DC, the garlic odor will go away.

Now if you want to, perhaps you should look into getting some Alter Ego Garlic Treatment as well. I also have Nutrine Garlic shampoo and conditioner for the same purpose. The Nutrine Poo works like a clarifying shampoo so be light with this one, okay?

Good Luck!

Thank you I will try this with my next wash. After doing this for a while will the shedding just stop all together. Or will I have to do this garlic treatment forever.

Oh yeah and I clarified my hair last week with a baking soda and water mix

seraphim712

Thank you I will try this with my next wash. After doing this for a while will the shedding just stop all together. Or will I have to do this garlic treatment forever.

Instead of using baking soda and water to clarify your hair, try Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in water.

Aggie

No the shedding will not stop but that's only because our hair is supposed to shed everyday 50 - 100 strands a day. If you see a tiny white bulb at the end of the shed strands, that's normal, but if not, then that's breakage and that's NOT normal. Oh by the way, I learned that baking soda can be very drying and if used incorrectly can be more damaging than good. Personally, I am not comfortable putting it on my hair.

Last edited:

miami74

I just mixed together my henna treatment. It comprises of:

75 grams of Henna from FNWL
1/2 TBS of shikakai powder
1/2 TBS of amla powder
1 and a 1/2 TBS bhringraj powder
1 and a 1/2 TBS brahmi powder
1 TBS hibiscus petal powder
1 TBS ginger root powder for scent purposes
2 TBS of Queen Helene Cholesterol Conditioning Cream
10 drops each of rosemary, lavender and cedarwood essential oils
6 ml of fenugreek seed extract from www.vitacost.com
1 and 1/2 cups of strained fenugreek tea (made from boiled powdered fenugreek of distilled water and coconut oil)
Enough water to make a yogurt-like paste.

Blend all dry powders together. Add essential oils to strained fenugreek tea rinse and mix well. Add and mix the rinse into blended henna and powders into a paste of a yogurt consistency. Cover with Saran wrap and a steamy hot damp towel and put on top of my microwave until morning. Allow henna color to release for about 8 - 10 hours overnight.

Tonight I will DC on dry hair overnight and clarify my hair in the morning. After clarifying, allow to air dry a little and add amla and shikakai oils before applying the henna. I will apply henna to damp hair, wrap with saran wrap, then foil wrap and keep it in my hair for about 3 hours, wash out with some cheapie conditioner a few times until all powders are out and deep condition again for a couple of hours.

ETA: This henna treatment has no ACV or lemon juice in it. I did that with my last treatment and it was too drying. I had to DC 2 or 3 times and overnight once to get my moisture balance back. I even had to baggy a couple of times. That acid is murder on my dry hair. I think the amla powder and oil are enough acids for my henna treatments.

Wow, this is great info Aggie. I can't wait to see your results from the henna. Is the reason why you DC'd overnight prior to the henna because you are trying to have well moisturized hair? I remember reading in another thread that you hair should be moisturized prior to doing henna.

Last edited:

mystery29

I am gonna need an extreme breakdown of this auryveda stuff. I want to try it but dont want to screw anything up. I just want some basic info on what to use for washing/conditioning and how often.

talata

Anyone tried Godrej Nupur Natural Mehendi Henna? Just found it online and it looks interesting.

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it yet and how your hair came out.

I just Hennaed for the first time this weekend and I'm hooked - my hair is soooo shiny.

vestaluv1

I am gonna need an extreme breakdown of this auryveda stuff. I want to try it but dont want to screw anything up. I just want some basic info on what to use for washing/conditioning and how often.

Hi Mystery29,

Ideally, you should wash with Ayurvedic powders twice a week and DC after every wash.
You can use any conditioners/deep conditioners you like. Whatever works well with your hair!
You should use shampoo once a month to avoid build up. I use an organic clarifying shampoo every four weeks.

Have you read this from CANDY C. This gives a lot of good information if you are just starting out to use Ayurvedic powders and oils. Tells you how to mix the powders and which powders to use. You may however tweak this method to suit you better.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=194049

You may find that you want to strain your powder mixture through a stocking cap or some sort of tightly knitted material so that you are not left with grit or powder residue in your hair which will cause breakage.

Also, in order to know what type of oils you should use if you wish to pre-poo over night with oils or do scalp massages and hot oil treatments, you can take this questionnaire

http://www.dosha.org/what/what1.html

Using oils for pre-pooing and hot oil treatments has helped to keep my hair softer, more moisturised and in an overall healthier condition.

Recommended Scalp/Massage Oils:
For Growth: Avocado, Mabhringeraj, jojoba, rosemary, brahmi, vatika
Dandruff: Jojoba, tea tree, neem, shikakai
Health: Olive, coconut, jojoba, lavendar, peppermint, almond
Dry Scalp: Bhringeraj, maka, amla, wheat germ
Hair Loss Treatment: Maka

Doshas and Recommended Oils
Vata: Amla, jojoba, lavendar
Pitta: Mabhringeraj, bhringeraj, coconut
Kapha: Almond, shikakai, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree

Hope this helps.

Last edited: