Ayurveda and Domincan Product- Anybody Having Conflicts

PuffyBrown

Here's whatz going on.

I started using Dominican hair products when I joined LHCF, I was already using ayurveda products for other stuff but....added hair product too. I have been using the Amla, brahmi oils, henna, and Bhringraj, neem powder, amla powder, shikaiki powder, ritha powder for about 9-10 months.

The latest now is I bought that shikaiki shampoo bar, and I love it! My hair feels so strong after I use it.
I tried rotatating one week ayurveda and one week dominican, everything goes well until I try to DC.
My hair seems to over condition everytime. What is up?

I am noticing falling hairs but my hair is growing like crazy. I have grown 1/2 in like 2 1/2 weeks...and its amazing. I am just worried about the falling hair. If I wash and dry my hair feels neglected, but if I wash and DC than it gets over conditioned. I was DCing for 30 min. Today, I did for like 15.

I did a hardcore DC today. I DC'd. My hair felt really strong. I then I DC'd and saw those little strands, not alot but I wasnt seeing them before I started using the shampoo bar. Note: I only use the shampoo bar when I am using ayurveda products (not that it makes a difference). I think the culprit is the Kan Kanechomn conditioner. I mean this stuff really can condishion your hair and I hate to give it up, but the other ayurveda are giving me so much more than the condish.

Another thing is I also started rollersetting. Maybe its the rollersetting. Before I started rollersetting and not falling and l looking really shiny and healhy. Now that I am rollersetting my hair is growing faster but it is fussy as ever and does not want to do anything but grow wild.

I am going to put the Kan Kanechomn down for a little while . What if I never need it again?

I will keep using my rinses and the Capilo, Alopecil, and Nacidit, which didnt seem to cause any harm.

Any suggestions how I can have the best of both?

yodie

I originally loved my Shikaki shampoo bar, but it doesn't seem like it's getting my hair cleaned.

I used some "stank" smelling Glover's on my scalp before I shampoo'd today with my shampoo bar. I lathered and rinsed so many times, but I still had some Glover's left on my scalp.

I then had to break out my Abba (just trying this as a natural alternative) to get the Glovers out. Am I doing something wrong?

Before I used the shampoo bar, I'd rinse with Shikaki & Amla oils. Well all the oils built up on my hair and my hair just started smelling bad throughout the week.

PuffyBrown

I originally loved my Shikaki shampoo bar, but it doesn't seem like it's getting my hair cleaned.

I used some "stank" smelling Glover's on my scalp before I shampoo'd today with my shampoo bar. I lathered and rinsed so many times, but I still had some Glover's left on my scalp.

I then had to break out my Abba (just trying this as a natural alternative) to get the Glovers out. Am I doing something wrong?

Before I used the shampoo bar, I'd rinse with Shikaki & Amla oils. Well all the oils built up on my hair and my hair just started smelling bad throughout the week.

It doesnt sound like it, but that Glovers stuff aint no joke. That stuff is strong. Im not sure. Maybe somebody else will chime in and help you out.

yodie

It doesnt sound like it, but that Glovers stuff aint no joke. That stuff is strong. Im not sure. Maybe somebody else will chime in and help you out.

Yeah, Glovers will clear a room out!
This is my first time using it in a very long time.

I usually used my shampoo bar with very little in my hair and I still had a "your hair stinks" smell to it.

almondjoi85

mmm... that's interesting. I love my shampoo bar and my hair always feels and smells clean after, just minus the dry feeling I normally get after using regular shampoo. I use miss keys to deep condition and I haven't noticed any issues.

BUMPING for more replies.

_belle

well im a plain oh regular. . . but you ever try maybe adding protein. . . like dc one wash, protein the next? when my hair gets like fragile, I reach for that funky little bottle of aphrogee. lol. . . sidenote::nono: @ u bein mad because your hair just wants to "grow wild". . . better stop all that complainin chile, and let hair do her thing :lachen:

Angelicus

You are going to "slap me in the face and call me 'Susan'" for this, but IMHO I think that you are doing too much at one time.

With all the conditioning properties of the Indian oils (that's right, conditioning-- coconut oil can be absorbed), you really don't need to use the Dominican products. Yes, Dominican conditioning treatments contain protein, but not as much as you think that they do. If you want some protein, you can do what the indians do and use curd "yogurt," sour cream, mayonnaise (what I use), or some eggs.

If you are doing ayurvedic pre-conditioning treatments, you don't need to deep condition with the Dominican Products or use their conditioning rinses.

IMHO, I don't think manipulation such as roller setting should be done on your hair after doing anything ayurvedic. Ayurvedia is supposed to be calming, relaxing, a fun meditating experience... and rollersetting... well... Ok, it isn't calming at all for me.

Sorry for the rambling but I really think you should keep it simple if you are on an herb kick.

kiesha8185

I agree with Anky. The first thing I thought when I read your regimen was "Why so much?" :spinning::drunk:

If you think that the conditioner may be over-moisturizing your hair, then stop using it. My hair also gets over-moisturized with NTM conditioners. Although I love the detangling properties, it doesn't make any sense using them if it's going to do more damage than good. Also you say "falling hairs" but are you referring to shedding or breakage? If it is breakage, then that may be from over-conditioning.

I know you are probably trying to get the most out of the Ayurveda and Dominican products, but IMHO, you would probably get more benefit if you let your hair get accustom to the same products for each wash. Also, because you are using so many different things, it may be difficult to pinpoint what can be causing your problems.

I suggest cutting your regimen down to the bare minimum: pre-poo, wash, rinse/treatment, deep condition. Maybe you can pre-poo with Ayurveda oils, wash with the shampoo bar, do a quick tea rinse or something with the Ayurveda powders, and dc with one Dominican conditioner. Then you can advance from there, make sure you pay attention to your hair and how it reacts to each thing you use. I don't suggest doing things just to do it, it can cause more harm than good.

ajoyfuljoy

I use both but I only stick to a couple of products so they've been working together wonderfully for me.

I'm making a batch of alma oil and I've used Vatika oil, they are for my prepoo.

When I use the shi... bar on Wednesday I use a reg. ole moisturizing shampoo on the weekends. And I DC with Miss Keys and use Salerm 21 as a leave in.

That's about it. I guess it's simple, but it works for me. And using so many different products is confusing to me. So if I don't use a staple, I might use one alternating product but that's it.

Yeah, you might just want to calm down your reggie a bit.

Evazhair

I have been experimenting a little bit this winter. When I don't shampoo, I use an oil infusion of 1 tbsp each of amla and shikakai in 1c coconut oil. I oil/massage my scalp, apply to hair and leave on overnight. I rinse and DC in the morning. I have DCed with Kenra MC and Nacidit Olive oil and rollerset with salerm 21 with no ill effects. If I am doing protein, I always chelate first, and save the ayurvedic thing for washes where I don't want to shampoo. The mix I use seems to be pretty strengthening, so I could see how using any kind of protein dc could be too much. I haven't tried any teas or pastes, because I don't want any surprises. I have read that those are best used on hair saturated with oil, though.

OT: Wow so you feel overconditioned using the Kan Kanechomn? My hair craves moisture, so I am hoping I get some good results when my Amazonian Multi Herbs dc gets here.

PuffyBrown

Thanks ladies for the comments.

I was think about this all night and had pretty much made a decision before I logged on this morning. Your comments are confirming my decision. As much as I love Dominican Products, you right, too much of a good think may not be good after all.

Time for regimin product changes:

Ayurveda: Oils (Amla, Brahmi, Vatika Brhingraj (nothing else), shampoo bar, and indigo, Powders: (Amla, Ritha, Brahmi, Neem (nothing else).

Conditioner:
All Natural and Organic Products. I will check out products like Aubreys and Jason’s. I have used Hempz before and love it but not sure if it is all natural/or organic.

Hard protein (if needed) 1xper month

I am leaving the Kan Kanechomn and other Dominican Products alone for now.
I will wait until I am like 8 weeks post and see if it has any benefits. If not, I will pass along to my sister and thank them for getting my original damaged hair in great shape.

I really don’t use a lot of protein. That was the first hardcore treatment that I have had since joining LCHF, and it actually helped. I did not have any breakage this morning so it did something. I have been shedding more than breaking but it is scaring me. The breaking is coming from a few split end stragglers that my stylist missed after my last retouch. We'll get em all eventually. That with the shedding is really worrying me.

I usually have my Emergencee Treatment 1xper month and ran out and haven’t used since a couple weeks before my last retouch Jan 5ish. (which may have been the problem in the first place and I just thought about that. That is why I ran out and got the aphogee.).
I am definitely getting my Emergencee back. Other than that all I really need to do is alternate the paste and the Keraphix treatments, which I haven’t been doing :blush:because I was wrapped up in the Ayurveda, Dominican products too much.

I have been using Ayurveda products pretty much every day:spinning::lachen:. (what and overdose). Time to give it a rest and use once a week or so. Itz just sooo good:lick: and so is the dominican:lick:.

*off to adopt a daughter so that I can use Dominican products exclusively on her hair and ayurveda on mine:nono:*

Last edited: