Attention flat-ironing queens

Are there any flat-ironing queens out there who can give some advice on how to get that bouncy, flowing, shiny flat-ironed hair? I have flat-ironed for years and have always had difficulty achieving that light, bouncy, fresh relaxer, straight from the salon type of hair. Does anyone have any advice???

During my last flat-iron, I washed with Mizani Botanifying Poo and Fulfyl Conditioning Treatment. I used the BRX braid spray, Infusium 23 leave-in and Nexxus Heat Protexx. I flat-ironed with my CHI bling. This was my first time using this combo and my hair came out bouncier than ever....and I am like 11 weeks post!!!! Even my NG was silky!!!! Does anyone have any tips to offer???

ellebelle88

Hey there! I used to have your same problem, until my roommate (who is caucasian) showed me the right way. My hair used to be stiff and not at all curly, silky, and bouncy after a flat iron.

I really don't know how to explain the method that she taught me, but I will try to the best of my ability. The first thing I always do is start from the nape and work towards the front. Section hair from ear to ear in about 1 inch sections starting at the nape (if that makes any sense). Then take a smaller portion of that 1inch section and flat iron. The trick is the way the way you flat iron. Instead of flat ironing downward, flat iron upward. Literally take the flat iron and your hair, and glide the flat iron near the ceiling. As you near the ends of your hair, slightly begin to bump it. Although it may look like a little curl, after you've completed the whole head, all of your "little" curls come together to give you that bouncy, look. I also used her CHI which gave great shine.

As for silkiness, I've heard rave reviews about CHI silk infusion.

Angelicus

rollerset your hair and do not flat iron all the way down... just the new growth. Do it in very small sections and make sure you don't use a heavy leave-in.

honeybadgirl

ljbee said:
Hey there! I used to have your same problem, until my roommate (who is caucasian) showed me the right way. My hair used to be stiff and not at all curly, silky, and bouncy after a flat iron.

I really don't know how to explain the method that she taught me, but I will try to the best of my ability. The first thing I always do is start from the nape and work towards the front. Section hair from ear to ear in about 1 inch sections starting at the nape (if that makes any sense). Then take a smaller portion of that 1inch section and flat iron. The trick is the way the way you flat iron. Instead of flat ironing downward, flat iron upward. Literally take the flat iron and your hair, and glide the flat iron near the ceiling. As you near the ends of your hair, slightly begin to bump it. Although it may look like a little curl, after you've completed the whole head, all of your "little" curls come together to give you that bouncy, look. I also used her CHI which gave great shine.

That was a good explanation. thats the way i do it! the secret is taking some sections like you said. i LOVE chi silk infusions. wouldnt be w/o it:grin:

GeorginaSparks

I mix chi silk infusion with kiehl's straightening cream. sometimes i add fnatasia IC heat protectant spray but most of the time i dont

Mook's hair

This might sound wierd but, I get better results when I use my cheapie Conair ceramic flat iron than I do with my pricey CHI. I like to do spiral curls with my conair flat iron (seen in my fotki) I'm on a no direct heat regimen right now but when I go back to heat I'll do a tut.

Heat Protectants don't make me very happy. Especailly the clear spray kinds. They make my hair sticky and kill the sheen. The only one I've had success with is by Biloage, it comes in a tube.

I spray my hair with a light oil as I'm curling it. (I.C. Night time PM Oil) is my fav. When I have big new growth, I use one of these Keracare cream press or BB Ssupergro with the Orange text on the jar.

I think my hair likes spirals with heat. I'm gonna try to get the same results with a roller set. My lhcf & fotki research tells me that Mango butter might be the key.

Kimberly

I'm not a flat-ironing queen, but for me, it seems the fewer and less amount of products I use, the better my results. I think I get the best results when I only use a little coconut oil and serum...either the Chi Silk Infusion or the Biosilk. And I might add a drop more serum, wrap it, tie on my silk scarf for about 15-20 minutes, and it comes out silky, shiny, bouncy-like...

ellebelle88

Kimberly said:
I'm not a flat-ironing queen, but for me, it seems the fewer and less amount of products I use, the better my results. I think I get the best results when I only use a little coconut oil and serum...either the Chi Silk Infusion or the Biosilk. And I might add a drop more serum, wrap it, tie on my silk scarf for about 15-20 minutes, and it comes out silky, shiny, bouncy-like...

What Kimberly said is also very true. It's is best to flat-iron clean hair. The results are much better and your hair is much more bouncier and flowy. Use very little product, such as a heat protectant. And when you're through put in a shine serum. That's all you need.

Mook's hair said:
This might sound wierd but, I get better results when I use my cheapie Conair ceramic flat iron than I do with my pricey CHI. I like to do spiral curls with my conair flat iron (seen in my fotki) I'm on a no direct heat regimen right now but when I go back to heat I'll do a tut.

Heat Protectants don't make me very happy. Especailly the clear spray kinds. They make my hair sticky and kill the sheen. The only one I've had success with is by Biloage, it comes in a tube.

I spray my hair with a light oil as I'm curling it. (I.C. Night time PM Oil) is my fav. When I have big new growth, I use one of these Keracare cream press or BB Ssupergro with the Orange text on the jar.

I think my hair likes spirals with heat. I'm gonna try to get the same results with a roller set. My lhcf & fotki research tells me that Mango butter might be the key.

Hey Mook **waiving**

Now that I got the ghetto greeting out of the way. I know that you commented in my Fotki about the stickiness of the products that you had used before. I dealt with the same thing, but this was the first time that I tries Heat Protexx. I usually use the Silk Infusion, but I am out of town and didn't bring it with me. I found that the Heat Protexx did me RIGHT! I was like :eek:, is that MY hair!!!! You might wanna check it out.

ljbee said:

Hey ljbee. I have never heard of flat-ironing upward before, I guess it would make sense that this would add bounciness. I have ALWAYS flat-ironed downward. I will be SOOOOO mad if this slight change makes all the difference in the world....yet so grateful :D. I will definitely try this the next time I relax.

Thank you ladies for all the input. After I airdry, I usually bump and feather my (unintentional) layers to give it movement and fullness. This has always worked out well for me, but it could ALWAYS be better.

Does anyone else have any other tips? Products that work out well for you? Methods???? I am trying to PERFECT this thang and I need all the help I can get!

Sorry for all the posts ya'll.

Last edited:

STLCoverGirl

Kimberly said:

ITA, less is more. I use Giovani Direct leave in and Chi silk with a little bit of EVOO and my hair is bouncy and light. Now if it is humid outside I have to add something heavier or my hair will revert in no time at all.

secretdiamond

Do you guys put the serum/heat protectant on wet hair before blowdrying/rollersetting or on dry hair RIGHT BEFORE you put the flat iron on your hair?

Also, do you put serum on each small section or all over your head?

Bellavita6

I agree with what some of the other posters have said about flat ironing upward. I usually flat iron towards the ceiling and then towards the end go down. For me, the less oil/grease i use the bouncier and silkier my flat iron results. I just spray my hair periodically with nairobi shine spray along the way.

*Michelle*

honeybadgirl said:
its all in the wrist, all in the wrist!!:lachen: :lachen:

So true!;)

Yes, flat iron to the ceiling...if you blowdry then do it in the opposite direction of growth. Also bend your wrist like your bumping...the more you bend the more body/curl you will get. If you get to much do a silk wrap on it!

If you normally part your hair on the right, FI with a part on the left then when your done repart it where you want...this adds body.

If I think of more I will post it...

GlamourGirl

Pixel Lady said:
So true!;)

Yes, flat iron to the ceiling...if you blowdry then do it in the opposite direction of growth. Also bend your wrist like your bumping...the more you bend the more body/curl you will get. If you get to much do a silk wrap on it!

If you normally part your hair on the right, FI with a part on the left then when your done repart it where you want...this adds body.

If I think of more I will post it...

I definitely agree with this and especially the bolded. I always do this and give great body and volume.

RubyWoo

when you guys say 'bumping' and bending the wrist do you mean you flat iron in the shape of a say a 'half moon' or as if your going around a circle or half circle? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

*Michelle*

Naturellle said:
when you guys say 'bumping' and bending the wrist do you mean you flat iron in the shape of a say a 'half moon' or as if your going around a circle or half circle? I hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

You are absolutely correct!!!

Practice with a cold iron, looking in the mirror...you'll get it! Don't forget to take pix...you know we wanna see :D

The Girl

Allandra said:
Using a light leave-in or serum helps. Also, don't use a lot of it.
I agree. My hair would never get staright and I realized I was using too much stuff on it before I tried to flat iron.
secretdiamond said:
Do you guys put the serum/heat protectant on wet hair before blowdrying/rollersetting or on dry hair RIGHT BEFORE you put the flat iron on your hair?

Also, do you put serum on each small section or all over your head?
That's what I have been doing.

GeorginaSparks

i put the serums and whatever i need to put before blow drying or air drying. I get more swang with blow dried hair rather than air dried hair

secretdiamond

sunbasque said:
i put the serums and whatever i need to put before blow drying or air drying. I get more swang with blow dried hair rather than air dried hair

Thanks. I was wondering if I should blowdry or airdry since I can't rollerset for the life of me and I have a special event coming up.

secretdiamond

JustMeSteph said:
I agree. My hair would never get staright and I realized I was using too much stuff on it before I tried to flat iron.

That's what I have been doing.

Thanks JustMeSteph!

meaganita

ljbee said:
What Kimberly said is also very true. It's is best to flat-iron clean hair. The results are much better and your hair is much more bouncier and flowy. Use very little product, such as a heat protectant. And when you're through put in a shine serum. That's all you need.
That's exactly what I do. I also condition with a VERY good moisturizing deep condntioner for at least 30 min under heat. I blow dry, then flat iron with no product on my hair whatsoever. When I'm done, my hair looks so soft, light, flowy, and moves when I move...It usually get's so straight that I have a hard time wrapping it at night because it won't stay put.

Using products before/during a flat iron usually weighs my hair down and I don't get the same straightness or movement. Less is definitely more!;)