Are You Still Wearing A Drawstring Ponytail?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Hi Ladies,

I am relaxed with fine, naturally thin hair (genetics) and wearing my hair out isn't appealing to me and usually wear my hair in a loose bun to work or pony tail on the weekends.

I wore a full weave for many years and then a sew-in ponytail after that.
I finally got tired of weaves and wigs and have been wearing my own hair just before I joined this forum in 2006..

Recently, I'm getting tired of the limited things I can do to my hair and recently went to the BSS store in my neighborhood and purchased a new wig and two drawstring ponytails; one natural and the other curly. I bought some thinning sheers and thinned them out tonight.

I want to know if anyone else is still wearing phony ponies' and if so, how do you make them look more natural?

There used to be tons of phony ponytail threads, but nothing current (yes, I searched and found only few old threads).

I wear one and the only thing I do is do a vinegar bath for my pony in order to take off that extra fake shiny to them. Other than that I bun my hair and put it on. So quick and simple. And I thought you were a natural head for some reason.

I wear one and the only thing I do is do a vinegar bath for my pony in order to take off that extra fake shiny to them. Other than that I bun my hair and put it on. So quick and simple. And I thought you were a natural head for some reason.

Thanks @ GoddessMaker. No, I relax and stretch between relaxers up to 14 weeks,

JN- this is an old thread, but there are so many pics it is worth a look, if you haven't seen it.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=347467&highlight=phony+pony

I don't wear drawstrings any more, if I want a phony pony. I use the Mane clip:

http://themaneclip.com/catalog/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_M96xaC4xo

maneclip2.jpg

Or just wrap weave hair around my bun. I find both of these options to be more realistic looking than a drawstring. HTH.

Last edited:
january noir I still am, even when my hair isn't loose. I have worn it like this:

TwistPonyPuffandSideSweptBangs-vi.jpg

And even with a scarf to hide braids and make it look as if my hair is loose:
tensionsingleshiddenunderscarf-vi.jpg

I've been thinking about it lately. Just to have a big'ol top bun. I'm discouraged by the texture differences and the shine they have. I tired the vinegar thing once and it didn't work so I just kind of let it go.

I've been thinking about it lately. Just to have a big'ol top bun. I'm discouraged by the texture differences and the shine they have. I tired the vinegar thing once and it didn't work so I just kind of let it go.

NIN4eva, Cozy isn't THAT shiny. It's what I used in those pics.

JN- this is an old thread, but there are so many pics it is worth a look, if you haven't seen it.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=347467&highlight=phony+pony

I don't wear drawstrings any more, if I want a phony pony. I use the Mane clip:

http://themaneclip.com/catalog/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_M96xaC4xo

maneclip2.jpg

Or just wrap weave hair around my bun. I find both of these options to be more realistic looking than a drawstring. HTH.

THANKS SO MUCH @SelfStyled I didn't see that thread when I searched before. I am inspired! I'm wearing my pony today and I'll post pics later.

@january noir I still am, even when my hair isn't loose. I have worn it like this:

TwistPonyPuffandSideSweptBangs-vi.jpg

And even with a scarf to hide braids and make it look as if my hair is loose:
tensionsingleshiddenunderscarf-vi.jpg

THANKS @Nonie
WOW, you pony looks like your hair. I like the scarf idea too. Oh, there's so many things to do with them!

@NIN4eva
The key is finding a good match (color and texture). Have you gone to a really good BSS or wig store that has a large variety of choices or are you buying online?

I bought a curly textured one yesterday that really isn't the best match like the "natural wave" I bought last week. I was told by the shop girl to keep brushing it out over a few days and that eventually the "shinyness" will go away. The more you handle them, the less "wiggy" and "fake" they become. I also think that it helps to "thin" them out in the center so they are not so bulky.

SelfStyled
I have three different Laceflair clip ons; one was perfect and I wore it forever, and it got too matted. The other two I have don't really match well and I was too lazy to send them back. I may try making a pony from wefted hair, but as long as I find a texture of drawstring ponys, I'll be good.

The pony in your pics doesn't seem to be too shiny to me. Did you just rinse with the vinegar or did you soak?

@NIN4eva Nope. I never did anything to it. I wore it just as it came. This is the same phony puff:

ornrowsnoextensionwithCozyPuff-vi.jpg

@january noir, the puff is not exactly like my hair but it's not that obvious unless one's an LHCFer with a keen eye. The puff is more 4A than 4B. You can see the difference between it and my 4B hair in the pic below (top pics show the phony puff; bottom pics my own hair's puff:

4Avs4B-vi.jpg

@january noir

Girl, I've been lazy. Buying online.

NIN4eva
:spank: You better get out there and go to the BSS or wig store! Let them help you match one to your haircolor and texture. That way you're not wasting your money.

I learned my lesson with those Laceflair ponys. :sad:
They weren't inexpensive like the drawstring ponys I just bought. :nono:

@NIN4eva Nope. I never did anything to it. I wore it just as it came. This is the same phony puff:

ornrowsnoextensionwithCozyPuff-vi.jpg

@january noir, the puff is not exactly like my hair but it's not that obvious unless one's an LHCFer with a keen eye. The puff is more 4A than 4B. You can see the difference between it and my 4B hair in the pic below (top pics show the phony puff; bottom pics my own hair's puff:

4Avs4B-vi.jpg

Looks darn close enough for me Nonie :up:

I still am too! Love them!
I buy them to compliment my hair, so I have an idea before hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

I do GoddessMaker...This is a 22" Phoney that I wrap and pin up into a cute little high bun. And go figure, Ive been wearin this Hi bun for like 2 and half yrs. Before it became popular. I actually used to dispise it. But I started gettin compliments, so it grew on me. I wear my own hair like this as well, like on a regular day...

Please dont quote Ladies...Thank You!

Last edited:
Tsss, I keep messin up, Im on my phone...
Ill post them again tomorrow from the Desktop.

Last edited:
Back