Are drawstring ponies secure?

MzLady78

Hey ladies,

I was wondering if anyone uses drawstring ponies and if so, how secure are they?

The pony I have in my siggy was done by my hairdresser, but she charges $40 bucks now just for a wash so I probably won't be going to her again until it's touch up time.

I managed to wash my hair myself and put the ponytail back in (I just use weaving hair, wrap it around my hair and pin in) but I'll be honest, I really struggled with it. My mom mentioned the drawstring pony but I told her those made me nervous, lol.

YES!!..lol! They are very, very secure! I love them! There is a little comb in the front and a little comb at the back that you attach to your hair (at the base of your bun) and then you draw the strings together and this little black thing(sorry, I don't know the name) secures them and keeps everything tight. I've worn my phony pony(the one in my siggy) on a very, very windy day and it never flew off..lol.

I use one. It is, but you have to put some of those big bobby pins on it. I pull it, then wrap it around and secure it at the end with a bobby pin, then I secure it around with more pins. The drawstring will be hidden by the hair. Search "phony pony", I posted a method I have for making mine look real. Good luck!

I haven't worn one in a while, but a few summers ago, they were all I'd wear. I still have at least three in my closet. I'd add a few bobby pins for extra security.

However, there was one or two very windy days where my hair was blowing all over the place and I was worried about it. It looked kinda funny/unatural while blowing, but it stayed in place.

You can add bobby pins to make sure it's secure...I lost one on my way to work one morning...:look: I'll never wear another one without extra security again. :look:

I wish I could learn how to do the ones with weave hair.

Kimberly said:
You can add bobby pins to make sure it's secure...I lost one on my way to work one morning...:look: I'll never wear another one without extra security again. :look:

I wish I could learn how to do the ones with weave hair.

See this is what I'm afraid of :lol:

When I decided to try to do it myself, I was like "okay, I'm an intelligent person, it can't be that hard". Let me tell you, it took some work! I still don't know exactly how I did it. I wanted to do it over because it's kind of low, I can feel it on my neck and it's making me nuts, but I don't wanna have to fight with it again, lol.

BrockStar said:
I use one. It is, but you have to put some of those big bobby pins on it. I pull it, then wrap it around and secure it at the end with a bobby pin, then I secure it around with more pins. The drawstring will be hidden by the hair. Search "phony pony", I posted a method I have for making mine look real. Good luck!

I'll definitely see if I can find it. I saw some really cute ones.

I really need a protective style that's gonna allow me take care of my own hair at the same time and I can't do it with the ponytail I'm wearing now.

Eventuallly, I'm gonna order a UPA clip but my money's kinda funny right now, lol.

I have a couple of drawstring ponies and they are pretty secure. I've never had them fall off or anything. Just make sure that when you put it on, pull the drawstring nice and tight so that it won't be loose and wrap it around the pony and secure it.

Mzlady girl, I will have to PM you!! lol

Be very very careful with them and dont try to play any sports without many many extra pins! For Everyday wear, you will be okay.

Letitia said:
Be very very careful with them and dont try to play any sports without many many extra pins! For Everyday wear, you will be okay.

I agree, I wouldn't play sports or anything like that.

Letitia, sounds like you may have had a bad experience with one girl.

*Edited:removed a word

Last edited:
nelli711 said:
I agree, I wouldn't do play sports or anything like that.

Please, I don't even run for the bus or train, lol.

Yeah, Letitia needs to come on with that pm! :lol:

nelli711 said:
I agree, I wouldn't play sports or anything like that.

*Edited:removed a word

YES. lol

MzLady...lol at you saying you dont run for the bus. Then you will be okay.

I concur, they are pretty secure and a few added pins finish the job. The only thing I will warn you about is making them an everyday habit. PLEASE DO NOT WEAR THEM EVERYDAY!! YOUR HAIR WILL BREAK!!I only have shreds of hair in the middle of my head from where I used to cinch in my phony pony. :( I wore it almost everyday for about a month or two because I thought it was so cute. Wanna know what's not cute.....being bald.:perplexed

I wear one often, I never use the combs I just wear my hair in a chynog wrap it with a piece of silk cloth then I pull the drawstring tightly around my hair it never falls off.

Yeah as long as you get it anchored on there good, it'll be alright. You can add pins if you'd like extra security. When I was relaxed I didn't but now I don't have much hair up there to attach it to so I add a few pins. :lol:

Back