Are these Dominicans licensed?

J

JenniferMD

Ok, so the dominican salons are pretty popular with some ladies here...and I'm one of them, but was wondering if these ladies are licensed. They don't speak English; you're at the mercy of whomever is avaiable; you can't make appointments; there seems to be a 2-week turnover rate with employees and you can only get one style (I dare you to walk in a DS and ask for straw curls) /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

All these signs scream shaddy /images/graemlins/sekret.gif So, are WE (ladies who truly care for our hair) putting our hair in the hands of unlicensed stylist????? Or maybe it's just my area and the salon I go to! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I have never been to a D salon. But let me say this: Licenses are overrated! Every stylist who hairjacked me had one. /images/graemlins/swearing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and you can only get one style

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

J

JenniferMD

But isn't it illegal to do hair in a professional establishment without one?

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
yeah ive never seen one that was, but there probably are some.

just dont try to sue when they burn your hair out or something /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

webby

Think Slim
I highly doubt that many of them are licensed. I have had to translate many welfare documents for a few of the stylists at my salon. I can't imagine a licensed beautician would qualify for welfare.

I also agree with Sassy...there are some ppl with legit papers who I wouldn't let groom my dog.

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
I highly doubt that many of them are licensed. I have had to translate many welfare documents for a few of the stylists at my salon. I can't imagine a licensed beautician would qualify for welfare.

I also agree with Sassy...there are some ppl with legit papers who I wouldn't let groom my dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang! LOL! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lorraine

I wondered the same thing, Jennifer. Mary of Mary's hairstylists in Silver Spring, Md displays her valid license in her booth but as far as the ladies who do my wash and rollerset...um not sure about that one. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
Ok, so the dominican salons are pretty popular with some ladies here...and I'm one of them, but was wondering if these ladies are licensed. They don't speak English; you're at the mercy of whomever is avaiable; you can't make appointments; there seems to be a 2-week turnover rate with employees and you can only get one style (I dare you to walk in a DS and ask for straw curls) /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

All these signs scream shaddy /images/graemlins/sekret.gif So, are WE (ladies who truly care for our hair) putting our hair in the hands of unlicensed stylist????? Or maybe it's just my area and the salon I go to! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the ones in D.C. but the one I go to does the BEST straw sets. They can do a lot of other REALLY nice hairstyles too. I believe they are licensed too. At least I see the licenses hanging up in the shop. But I guess some are not. I don't think the wash and set people are licensed but the ones doing relaxers, cuts and styles are. But probably not at every shop the one I go to I believe this is the case.

moneychaser

I agree with Sassygirl /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have been to plenty of licensed stylists who set me up big time. I'll pick my un-unlicensed Dominican stylist over a licensed one anyday, homegirl can bang out a touch-up.
Also, I've seen them do flexi-sets and use hotcurlers /images/graemlins/smile.gif
EDT:
I have been they only need licenses to perform chemical services. Can't remember where I heard it from!

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
But isn't it illegal to do hair in a professional establishment without one?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my understanding it is illegal, HOWEVER I am sure there is one person there with a license which is how many people get around this and get to open the salon. Think about nail salons popping up everywhere, not everyone there is licensed.

I too agree that a license does not always mean quality stylist.

Angelicus

Well everyone needs to "keep it on the hush" because they do great hair. Let's put the ones with licenses in jail. they are the ones that jacked me up.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif hey i have 2 stylists with licenses that do great hair. that nail salon thing is true. 1 or 2 people will have a license and then they train their entire family to jack up your nails

KAddy

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif hey i have 2 stylists with licenses that do great hair. that nail salon thing is true. 1 or 2 people will have a license and then they train their entire family to jack up your nails

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

I too know of a great stylist who is licensed.

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

kombov_dymond

They don't need a license for me if they can make a blow-out that looks like yours Jenn. They can roll mine up with toilet paper rolls as long as I come out looking cute.

No chemicals though...just a dryer and a brush. /images/graemlins/spinning.gif

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
Well everyone needs to "keep it on the hush" because they do great hair. Let's put the ones with licenses in jail. they are the ones that jacked me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Oh Snap! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MizAvalon

Most of them probably aren't licensed. All it takes is 1 or 2 people with a license to operate a shop. Also, just because you see licenses hanging up on the walls doesn't mean that the person's whose name is on it actually works there. You can pay for those. Lots of places(hair, nails, massage, etc.) do shady things like that. Most African ladies that do braids aren't licensed either.

webby

Think Slim
MizAvalon, I was just about to write the same thing. My girl's license says her name is "Bilkis Lopez" but her welfare document says her name is "x Miranda".

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:
MizAvalon, I was just about to write the same thing. My girl's license says her name is "Bilkis Lopez" but her welfare document says her name is "x Miranda".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm over here rollin' ya'll! This is too funny! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
[ QUOTE ]
webby said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm over here rollin' ya'll! This is too funny! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know I'm not making this up... /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

MizAvalon

[ QUOTE ]
webby said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
[ QUOTE ]
webby said:

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious?? /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

dang is anything legit these days? all you need is the right # of $$$$$ signs and you can buy anything, literally.

show me where to sign up, so i can jack heads and rob people like most salons /images/graemlins/angel.gif /images/graemlins/fallenangel.gif /images/graemlins/angeldevil.gif

MizAvalon

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
[ QUOTE ]
webby said:

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious?? /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

dang is anything legit these days? all you need is the right # of $$$$$ signs and you can buy anything, literally.

show me where to sign up, so i can jack heads and rob people like most salons /images/graemlins/angel.gif /images/graemlins/fallenangel.gif /images/graemlins/angeldevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup Honeydrop. If you have a little dough, you can buy yourself a license too. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Or if you have a hook-up that has their own salon all you need to be is halfway decent and you don't even really need a license. And it's extra easy for the Dominicans and Africans to do it because the language barrier makes it easier to confuse people. Just about every "round the way" shop has this going on to some extent.

ms_kenesha

Don't nobody call on my hairdressers I don't care if they're licensed or not! /images/graemlins/whip.gif

I'm with whomever said that all the people with licenses jacked up their heads! Plus, the people with licenses think it's a license to do whatever the hell they want to do with your hair /images/graemlins/nono.gif