Are there good alcohols/bad alcohols?

gimbap

There are water soluble 'cones and 'cones that aren't water soluble, so is there such thing as good/bad types of alcohols in hair products?

The reason I ask is because a product that I've been using for as long as I can remember lists steryl alcohol as the second ingredient, but it always leaves my hair soooo moisturized and soft!

Any thoughts?

balisi

oobrittany said:
There are water soluble 'cones and 'cones that aren't water soluble, so is there such thing as good/bad types of alcohols in hair products?

The reason I ask is because a product that I've been using for as long as I can remember lists steryl alcohol as the second ingredient, but it always leaves my hair soooo moisturized and soft!

Any thoughts?
I'm almost 100% sure that stearyl alcohol is a good "fatty" alcohol, which is why the product containing it makes your hair feel moisturized and soft. The alcohols to stay away from are SD 40, Isopropyl, and denatured alcohol. In many products containing the "bad" drying alcohols, you can usually smell it, such as in hair spray and spritz.

Namilani

I don't think my hair likes alcohol PERIOD :nono:. Co-signing with balisi, SD 40 and alcohol denat are horrible on the hair. Matter of fact, those are the number one ingredients in most spritzes... :look: Hey, I stopped using them!

Synthia

There are defniitely good alchols. I think cetyl alcohol is one of the them, but I"m too lazy to investigate.

I cringe when people post about avoiding all alchohols because some are beneficial to your hair. Maybe a brainiac will come in and set everyone straight.

balisi

I checked and here's the word on the common misconception concerning alcohols: Not all alcohols are bad. The fatty (good) alcohols are what make conditioners creamy and detangling, that's why it's virtually impossible to find conditioners without these types of alcohols. The good ones are lauryl, cetyl, myristyl, stearyl, cetearyl and behenyl alcohol. The bad ones are SD alcohol, SD alcohol 40, denatured alcohol, propanol, propyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol.

Royal Glory

balisi said:
I checked and here's the word on the common misconception concerning alcohols: Not all alcohols are bad. The fatty (good) alcohols are what make conditioners creamy and detangling, that's why it's virtually impossible to find conditioners without these types of alcohols. The good ones are lauryl, cetyl, myristyl, stearyl, cetearyl and behenyl alcohol. The bad ones are SD alcohol, SD alcohol 40, denatured alcohol, propanol, propyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks, Balisi. I appreciate that clarification too.