Are ALL alcohols bad?

BGT

I know that alcohol is a no-no product for hair, but I didn't notice before that there are different alcohols. Cetyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol.... are these all bad or are there some acceptable ones?

Americka

I know that alcohol is a no-no product for hair, but I didn't notice before that there are different alcohols. Cetyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol.... are these all bad or are there some acceptable ones?

22) CETEARYL ALCOHOL: A naturally derived alcohol that provides the creamy consistency of the conditioner and facilitates its application on the hair. Also functions as an additional lubricating and combing aid, helps prevent moisture loss, and adds richness and texture to the conditioner for uniformity of application.

This information was copied from THIS WEBSITE.

Stearyl alcohol is a nonionic surfactant used as a hair coating in shampoos and conditioners.
Stearyl alcohol is used as an emollient (skin softener), emulsifier, and thickener in creams and lotions.

This information was copied from THIS WEBSITE.

BGT

Not at all. While a lot of alcohols cause drying/ frizzing there are some exceptions. Here's a nice n short article from CurlyNikki to start you off: http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/11/are-all-alcohols-drying.html

Wow! Thanls. :yep:

Here's a list of the 'okay' or 'fatty' alcohols:

Behenyl alcohol
Cetearyl alcohol
Cetyl alcohol
Isocetyl alcohol
Isostearyl alcohol
Lauryl alcohol
Myristyl alcohol
Stearyl alcohol
C30-50 Alcohols
Lanolin alcohol

Fatty alcohols provide an emollient effect, and bind water and oil to give our favorite conditioners their slip and creaminess.

Cetyl and/or Sterayl alcohols are present in most of my favorite products (Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Mask, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, DevaCare One C). I found the following descrptions on Treasured Locks:
  • Cetyl Alcohol- This is a fatty alcohol that is derived from coconut and palm oils. Far from drying, this alcohol is actually an emollient (makes hair and skin softer).
  • Stearyl Alcohol- another fatty alcohol. It is nothing like ethanol, it is is actually a white solid and is insoluble in water. Stearyl alcohol is often used in conditioners and shampoos and acts as an emollient (softener).

Americka

What are bad alcohols I should look out for?

Isopropyl alcohol: This is a solvent and denaturant, which changes substances natural qualities. It is found in many hair and [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]skin[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] care [/FONT][FONT=&quot]products[/FONT][/FONT], especially hair rinses and finishing sprays. Isopropyl alcohol is a petroleum derived substance that is used in wood lacquer and antifreeze. It can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and comas.

http://www.articlealley.com/article_184130_23.html

shunemite

What are bad alcohols I should look out for?
SD alcohol aka denatured alcohol, propellant, Isopropyl alcohol (like Americka said).
Fun fact I learned in college Chemistry: denatured alcohol is actually regular drinking alcohol (beer/ liquor), but they are required by law to denature the alcohol and add poison to it to make it non-consumable or else they will be charged liquor tax which is higher.
Generally, the product you'll want to watch out for bad alcohols in will be a styling product like wrapping lotions, serums, and yes, a few leave-in's. They add the alcohol coz it dries faster and provides hold.