Are braidouts still protective if the hair is brushing your shoulders?

addaboutmyhair

Hi All,

I've been protective styling with braids, wigs and weaves for awhile. In between each style I let my hair 'rest' for a week or 2. During that week I wear braid outs and buns. I love the extra access I have to my hair and I've been thinking about extending my break from weaves, braids, etc. I've had great growth with this technique and the one thing that worries me is that my braidouts brush my back and shoulders (I'm APL straightened). Isn't this rubbing on the ends what I'm trying to avoid? But many threads cite braid outs as protective.

So, is there a length at which braid outs are no longer protective? If they are still protective could someone explain why/how?

Thanks for any info!

LadyRaider

I have heard this as well, and have wondered the same thing. I think braidouts are low mani, though, right?

I have been wearing my braidouts in a banana clip puff so that my hair is off my shoulders.

I don't have the answers though. I like to show off my purty curls! But I think actual protective styling might be with ends tucked in! (And not just curled under.)

discodumpling

If your ends are allowed to brush against your skin, clothing then they are not being protected.

A braid out is protective (IMO) only due to it's low mani properties. You can unbraid finger fluff and go...
Depending on your texture and hair tolerance OUT styles are not truly protective. I can't leave my hair and ends OUT for over 24 hrs...that's just asking for problems.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Yes braidouts are low manipulations not protective. Protective styles hide your ends, in a braidout even if they are not rubbing on your shoulders your ends are still out.

chitowndcgal

I am torn between doing braidouts and bunning. With braidouts, they are soo low maintenance and I don't comb through my hair often at all, but my ends are exposed. With bunning, I have to manipulate and comb through my hair quite a bit every day to recreate the smooth look and bun...but my ends stay protected. Which is better, exposed ends and little to no manipulation, or hidden ends but high manipulation. ARGH!!!!

Prudent1

I stopped wearing braidouts and buns. My hair does not really like either one too often. For the reasons chitowndcgal and discodumpling mentioned. So, like the others have stated no, it's not a true PS but it is low mani.

addaboutmyhair

Hmmm. Thanks for the information. This makes sense even if it's not what I wanted. I am finally really beginning to enjoy rocking the big hair and of course it's risky to my hair :/

I guess when I do do a braid out I will still clip up my hair and hide the ends. Less manipulation.

Oh well, now I have to decide if I should touch up my roots this weekend (texlax) and wear my hair out another week. Or go straight back into a full weave.

So slight change of subject - I usually stretch 6 months at a time. I'm at about 4 1/2 months now but my ng is so thick and so much of it. About 2 inches. I'm a little worried about breakage and thinking about touching up early.

nysister

I am torn between doing braidouts and bunning. With braidouts, they are soo low maintenance and I don't comb through my hair often at all, but my ends are exposed. With bunning, I have to manipulate and comb through my hair quite a bit every day to recreate the smooth look and bun...but my ends stay protected. Which is better, exposed ends and little to no manipulation, or hidden ends but high manipulation. ARGH!!!!

Using cartor oil and tying it down might help reduce the amount you comb or brush. I don't comb or brush my hair but I'm able to bun. How flat it is usually depends on how long I keep it wrapped up.

yorkpatties

OP thanks for posting this question because I had noticed some debate over what a "protective style" is exactly over many threads. I see people describing low-manipulation styles as being protective styles, when they aren't. From what I understand a protective style to be comes directly from the Wanakee brochure from the 1990's (ladies, remember this?) where she describes a style where your ENDS ARE HIDDEN and NOT EXPOSED TO AIR as a protective style. To me, these are the only protective styles.

chebaby

i agree that braid outs are just low manipulation.
my hair is past sl in a braid out so it rubs against my clothes but my ends dont break because i keep them moisturized and seal my ends with a thick pomade.