Are rollerset/braidouts just as protective as buns?

Prettyeyes

I have been using buns as my main protective style and my hair has flourished, but I am now wearing my hair down more and not ready to go back to buns so I think rollersets and braidouts could be the happy medium for me in this bun vs straightened dilemma. Anyone have better results with rollersets/braidouts vs buns? I am going to do a braid out now and wiil post pice when done.

pookaloo83

I did a braidout the other day and was asking if it was a protective style or not. I got no response but after the first day of my braidout the second day it was dry. I didn't want to keep braiding because to me it wouldn't be a low manipulation style. I do rollersets though, but my curls fall after the first day. I think a braidout is a protective style though.

vkb247

When I first found hair boards, I learned that protective styles are called that because they protect the ends of your hair from the environment. So if you are using that definition than buns are more protective.

But I know plenty of ladies consider braids and twists to be protective and low manipulation if you do them only once every one or two weeks especially.

It would probably depend on the person. Buns protect for some and cause damage for others. Same with twists, braids, or any style. It's all about how they are done.

ETA: I obviously didn't see that it said rollersets or braidouts. These are definitely not protective.

Prettyeyes

Buns took me from APL to past BSL in no time. But like I said I missed my hair maybe I will make a compromise of 2 days braidout 5 days bun, IDK. After years in the hair worl it is time for a change of regimen/styles.

LushLox

If the ends are exposed then I would say the style is not a protective style, not in the fullest meaning of the term anyway.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
A protective style is a style that keeps your ends protected and tucked away. Buns, french rolls, wigs, etc

Braidouts, rollersets, bantu knots and the like are low mani styles because you don't have to manipulate your hair much when wearing these styles

If your ends aren't tucked away, it's not a protective style