Are bantu knots possible for transitioners???

NewYorkgyrl

Ladies ...I am almost 43 weeks into my transition. I am wearing braids right now but I am trying to think of some stlyes to do on my 2 textured hair that will still look cute.

Now I know that relaxed heads do bantu knots as do naturals, but I don't see many transitioners posting about it. Is it possible for a transitioner (not a couple of months but more like a year into it) to achieve a lovely bantu knot out set. What will the relaxed ends look like?

Please give your honest opinion..if you think that the relaxed ends will not look that good in the bantu knot out please state so. Because I know that at 43 weeks I CANNOT do a wash and go because of the relaxed ends or 2-strand twists.

There has to be hope out there..............

Hey! Congrats on being so far along in your transition:)

I think bantu knot sets are very possible for transitioners.

I have two-three inches of natural hair, five to six inches of very, very, very underprocessed hair next to that, a straightish section, and then curly ends (don't ask! lol!). Despite all the different textures, I think my set comes out alright (the pic in my avi is a recent example).

However, I'm not going for a super-sleek look and there is still a very good amount of poof at the roots. I just work with it by pinning the front or wearing a skinny headband. I find that doing them on dry hair that has been stretched with a rollerset works best.

Healthb4Length

When I did superstretches last year I did bantu knotouts and my hair looked good. It did a good job of camaflauging NG and texlaxed hair.

NewYorkgyrl

Thanks to all who have replied.

I am very interested in trying this style without having to use a rollerset to stretch my hair or extensions. the main reason being, this is supposed to be a low key hairstyle...rollersetting and extensions makes it more work than needed. I need something I can do to my hair after a co-wash....one, two, three.

Medical school and studying takes up a good portion of my time...time I need to spend wisely so is it possible to achieve this look without rollersetting or using a hair piece????

Alli77: How long was your superstretch? Did you do the bantu knots on wet or dry hair?

Depending on the length and thickness of your hair, the knots take a very, very long time to dry so keep that in mind if you plan to do them on wet hair after a co-wash.

Good luck with your studies! Buns and ponytails might be the way to go if you really need to save time:)

cocomama

YES! This was my signature style through most of my transitioning stage. check out my old album folders. I have lots of pics! I transitioned for about 14-15 mths.

Last edited:

NewYorkgyrl

OshunCurls said:
Depending on the length and thickness of your hair, the knots take a very, very long time to dry so keep that in mind if you plan to do them on wet hair after a co-wash.

Good luck with your studies! Buns and ponytails might be the way to go if you really need to save time:)

Yeah I was thinking about maybe keeping the actual bantu knot style in for about 2 days and then taking it out to wear it curly before I co-wash again

NewYorkgyrl

cocomama said:
YES! This was my signature style through most of my transitioning stage. check out my old album folders. I have lots of pics! I transitioned for about 14-15 mths.

Thanks for the visuals. I do have one question..did you at any time rock the curls after taking out the bantu knots...if so how did it look on your TRANSITIONING hair???
I was thinking that after a couple days of wearing the knots that I would wear the curly style but I am curious about how my relaxed ends will look.....

NewYorkgyrl

jaded_faerie said:
I just wanted to say congrats! 43 weeks is amazing :)

Thank you!!! I am trying to hang in there without getting too frustrated. Keeping my hair in braids right now is good because I don't have to manipulate my hair and worry about how to deal with the 2 textures...

cocomama

I only did that style when I was totally natural. I don't think it looked right when I was transitioning,otherwise I wld have wore that style 4 sure.:)

NewYorkgyrl

cocomama said:
I only did that style when I was totally natural. I don't think it looked right when I was transitioning,otherwise I wld have wore that style 4 sure.:)

Thanks for being so honest!

Sweet_Ambrosia

NewYorkgyrl said:
Ladies ...I am almost 43 weeks into my transition. I am wearing braids right now but I am trying to think of some stlyes to do on my 2 textured hair that will still look cute.

Now I know that relaxed heads do bantu knots as do naturals, but I don't see many transitioners posting about it. Is it possible for a transitioner (not a couple of months but more like a year into it) to achieve a lovely bantu knot out set. What will the relaxed ends look like?

Please give your honest opinion..if you think that the relaxed ends will not look that good in the bantu knot out please state so. Because I know that at 43 weeks I CANNOT do a wash and go because of the relaxed ends or 2-strand twists.

There has to be hope out there..............

Yes its possible to achieve a nice bantu knot set when you've been transitioning for a longggg time. I've been transitioning for over a year now, and bantu knots/sets are one of my favorite styles to wear. I wear my sets in a curly puff style with my hair pulled back in an ouchless headband. Depending on how long/thick your hair is it will take some time for the knots to completely dry on damp hair. You could always use a dryer to speed up the drying time. But I choose to airdry, it takes anywhere from 8-12 hours for my hair to completely dry when I do the bantu knots. The key to achieving a nice bantu knot set is MOISTURE! Make sure to use a good moisturizer, and use a good amount of it, else your hair will come out dry and frizzy. Been there, done that! :look: :lol: Also make sure that the knots are COMPLETELY dry before you undo them. As far as the relaxed ends, my ends come out curly whenever I do a bantu knot set.

HTH

Robin41

I don't know -- I've never tried bantu knots but I did want to pop in an congratulate you on your transition progress! Keep up the good work.

NewYorkgyrl

Sweet_Ambrosia said:

Yes its possible to achieve a nice bantu knot set when you've been transitioning for a longggg time. I've been transitioning for over a year now, and bantu knots/sets are one of my favorite styles to wear. I wear my sets in a curly puff style with my hair pulled back in an ouchless headband. Depending on how long/thick your hair is it will take some time for the knots to completely dry on damp hair. You could always use a dryer to speed up the drying time. But I choose to airdry, it takes anywhere from 8-12 hours for my hair to completely dry when I do the bantu knots. The key to achieving a nice bantu knot set is MOISTURE! Make sure to use a good moisturizer, and use a good amount of it, else your hair will come out dry and frizzy. Been there, done that! :look: :lol: Also make sure that the knots are COMPLETELY dry before you undo them. As far as the relaxed ends, my ends come out curly whenever I do a bantu knot set.

HTH

What are you using for moisture????

tropicexotic

free @ last
I used to do this on freshly washed hair while transitioning and it worked for me...I wore the style after taking the knots out tho and not the actual knots. I hope it works for you :)