Are all flat-irons created equal?

LALakersGirl

I've come to a conclusion that my hair looks its best when it's flat-ironed-- but my question is, are all flat-irons created equal?

I know that there are flat-irons targeted towards black people (like Gold'n Hot) and that there are flat-irons that are targeted towards white people; But is there really a difference between all the different flat-iron brands? Is it alright if I use ones that are targeted towards white people, or should I stick with brands targeted towards black people?

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious to know because I want to buy a new flat-iron. I currently use one by Gold'n Hot but it's semi-broken. (The springs broke, yet it still works). Does anyone have any recs for flat-irons that are under $50.00 (besides Gold'n Hot--I'm interested in trying a new brand).

adrienne0914

i definitely believe that there is a difference in flat iron quality. the one that i have cost $90 at the time. it's by Hai. i got it as a christmas gift in 2000. at the time, i thought "dang, i shoulda gone for jewelry instead."
then i bought a Jilbere late last year. i thought i would alternate between the two.

the ceramic plates were just not as smooth on the Jilbere. i felt like my hair was being dragged along the plates vs. gliding on them. it also didn't seem that the heat was as evenly distributed. the hair on one side of the plate got straighter than on the other. i promptly returned the Jilbere to Sally's.

no matter what, you definitely want to get a ceramic one though.

Hairyette

Hi LALakersGirl,

You might want to consider getting a ceramic flat iron. I don't know how often you flat iron your hair and I didn't notice (in your profile) if you are relaxed or natural (I'm assuming you are relaxed..). Ceramic irons are supposed to be healthier for your hair, less damaging heat....someone else may know the science on that.

My personal experience with ceramic irons: Chile I love them! My hair is natural and the ceramic irons heat up quick and straighten my hair to the texture of relaxed hair with ease...and my hair isn't smoking or even hot to the touch....absolutely love'em. I have two, one to get close to the roots and another for the rest of the hair shaft (I like variety...
), and both were under $50.00 each. I plan to use my "old" irons to do that "end sealing" technique that's supposed to prevent split ends.

Hope that helps

ThursdayGirl

I wanted to get a flat-iron by HAI.. I think its the convertible one that they have out now. I'm glad to hear that it is worth it.

LALakersGirl

Adrienne0914 - Where can I buy the HAI flat-iron? Sallys? Is it for the stove or does it have a plug attached? $90 dollars is a little high... but if it's a good investment than it'll be worth it.

Hairyette - Yes, I'm relaxed. I tried to transition to natural for 3 (almost 4) months, but it was too crazy having two different hair textures and unfortunately, my parent's weren't having it. (Although I know that I will definitely try again later). But anyways, what flat-iron brand do you use?

ThursdayGirl - It's a convertible flat-iron? What all does it do/include?

EmeraldSky

<font color="purple"> I have the same HAI ceramic flat iron that Adrienne spoke of. Before that I used a regular gold n hot flat iron. I really like the HAI and I think it's better than the regular irons I have used, it's lightweight, compact and much easier to manuever, also I find my hair doesn't snag, glids over the plates and it distributes heat evenly. This has been my experience, regardless of which brand I do prefer ceramic flat irons.
</font>

ThursdayGirl

Hi there! Here's a link HAI Convertible. I think its supposed to be best for medium length hair. You are supposed to be able to do more things... bends and curls. I think the plates are probably a little thinner.

HTH-
J.

Faith

Good thread...right Adrienne
...LOL
I also need all the opinions I can get...not that I don't believe you Adrienne that Jilbere is not "it"..

LALakersGirl

Okay, I think I may buy it. Where is it located off-line? I don't want to buy it on the internet, because I want to actually see it in person (before buying).

Hairyette

The two irons I have are: Ceramic tools/Jilbere $37.99 (Sally's) and Hot Tools $39.99 (Ulta3). I'm happy with both and really happy about the return policy (90 days/60 days).

I like buying in person too. I tried several different irons before I settled on the ones I have now (save those receipts...
)

adrienne0914

thursdaygirl, just me adrienne, girl.
anyway, that's precisely the one that i have. thanks for posting the link. i can't say enough good stuff about it!

faith, i'm glad this came up too. i know it would be nice to at least see the thing in person before spending that kind of money. so i can definitely understand your hesitation. has mama ever steered you wrong before though?

LAlakergirl, are you in the LA area? if so, they have it here:

Ball Beauty Supply
416 N. Fairfax Ave.
Los Angeles, Ca 90036

Faith

Which one do you have Adrienne? The 2 1/4" one? I would probably need the 1 1/4". And no mama has never steered me wrong...

Edited to ask: Do they all 5 heat settings?

Allandra

I have a Jilbere ceramic flat iron. I use it about once a month. I love how smooth and silky it gets my hair. I haven't had any problems with it snagging my hair. Here's a picture of the one I have:

LALakersGirl

OK, now I'm interested in both the HAI and the Jilbere flat-irons.

I checked the prices on Ebay, they're around $50 to $70 for the regular HAI flat-irons and around $100 to $110 for the HAI 2 flat-iron. That sounds like a good deal for the regular HAI, but my only problem is what if I don't like it? Because if I buy it on Ebay, I KNOW that 99.5% of Ebay sellers won't let me return it.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the Jilbere first (since it's cheaper), and if it's good, then keep it; if it's not good, then return it &amp; buy the HAI.

Adrienne: No, I don't live in the LA area. (My screen name is my favorite basketball team-- The Los Angeles Lakers).
But thanks anyway! I'll call some of the beauty supply stores around me to see if they have it.

Faith

Thanks Allandra. I have thought about that one but I hear it's not worth the money.....hmmm. And I sometimes wonder if it will work on my 4a/b natural hair (hard to compare relaxed hair with course 4a/b natural hair).

Country gal

Allandra,

You have the Jilbere flat Iron that I wanted. I have a wider version which I just bought this week. I love it. I got a lot of compliments on my hair when I used my new flat iron. My hair looks smoother and silky.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sbaker said:
Allandra,

You have the Jilbere flat Iron that I wanted. I have a wider version which I just bought this week. I love it. I got a lot of compliments on my hair when I used my new flat iron. My hair looks smoother and silky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey girly. I'm glad it works for you. I just love it (although I don't use it much).

Country gal

I am going to try to stay away from it. But this week, I used it twice.
It gives my hair such a nice bend and my hair stays in place. I love it, I love , I love it.

nissi

Hairyette, you mentioned an "end sealing" technique that's supposed to prevent split ends.

What technique is this???
Please, do tell!
Thanks!

Hairyette

Hi Nissi,

The "end sealing" technique involves taking aluminum foil, wrapping it around the ends (last inch or so...) and using a curling iron or flat iron to seal in the conditioner. There are many ladies here who have tried this technique and posted their results....I read a post from KKING7(?) last night who was very happy with her results. To my knowledge this technique came from the "Crown and Glory" regime on www.growafrohairlong.com check out her website, you'll see some of our members there also.

I plan to try this technique right after I do my trims.....seems like the most opportune time to seal your ends.

HTH