Apple cider rinse after conditioner?

EmeraldSky

<font color="purple">I just read a post on another hair board that said that an apple cider rinse should be the final step aftering conditiong because it closes the hair shaft and so if you use it before conditioning the conditioner won't be able to penetrate. Does anyone know if this is true? I know that apple cider vinegar has the effect of closing the hair shaft and right now I use Frederic Fekkai's apple cider rinse to remove buildup every few weeks, but now I'm wondering whether I should use it after I condition instead of before and if I do would it have the effect of rinsing away the benefits of the conditioner since it also removes buildup? I'm going to hold of on using the apple cider rinse until I hear you guys opinion.</font>

Jade21

In answer to your question about whether the benefits of your conditioner would be washed away if you used it after conditioning, Aubrey Hampton (aka Aubrey Organics) would answer you in the affirmative.

I've followed his method for years now and frankly wouldn't think about using any type of ACV-based rinse after conditioning for that reason. If I had oily hair, I would use my ACV-based rinse AFTER conditioning as Dr. Hampton recommends.

I have to say that from using this method what I've found is that the effects of my conditioner are actually enhanced. I do not know the scientific explanation for that, but I see the results.

You might want to do a search for MSCHICHI's seminal post on the many uses of ACV. It should be posted LARGE on the site. I think it's the best uses of ACV which I have ever read.

Cheers,

Jade

Allandra

I have always done my acv rinse after shampooing my hair, and then I condition my hair. This is what works for me.

lunalight7

OK I need help...Im confused
. On another board, they recommened using an ACV rinse (or a similar commercial rinse like Nexxus Ensure) AFTER conditioning to seal in the moisture of the conditioner. The rationale was, that if you use the rinse before the conditioner, you would close the cuticles and the conditioner wouldnt penetrate the hair...just sit on top....what do you sistahs think? Made sense to me at the time...I bought the Ensure and used once in this way...my hair still felt conditioned...but now Im not sure...

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I have used it both ways. If using it before conditioning as a clarifier before deep conditioning, I'd re-rinse my hair with warm water. The cuticle would open back up anyway because of the heat used to deep condition. When using it after conditioning, I use a small amount (1-2 Tablespoons per quart). I don't feel that this rinses away the affects of the conditioner at all.

Allandra

lunalight7,

Have you tried using it both ways to see which way works best for your hair? I think it's all about what's best for the individual's hair.

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
I have used it both ways. If using it before conditioning as a clarifier before deep conditioning, I'd re-rinse my hair with warm water. The cuticle would open back up anyway because of the heat used to deep condition. When using it after conditioning, I use a small amount (1-2 Tablespoons per quart). I don't feel that this rinses away the affects of the conditioner at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also use it both ways...depending on how my hair is feeling...