Apple Cider Vinegar???

Country gal

A couple of you ladies posted that you use Apple Cider Vinegar. I used it this weekend. I shampooed my hair and rinsed with water. I then rinsed it with the Apple Cider Vinegar. I then applied my conditoner. I want to know the steps in using the vinegar. My son ran away screaming becuase of the awful smell. My hair did have a nice shine afterward. I use so many products that sometimes I don't know what is causing the nice effect on my hair.

Lindy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sbaker said:
A couple of you ladies posted that you use Apple Cider Vinegar. I use so many products that sometimes I don't know what is causing the nice effect on my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely know what you mean about not knowing what product is causing the nice effect!! I also am planning on trying the ACV rinse, but I KNOW that I won't be able to tell if I'm getting the effect from the vinegar, or from one of the products I used!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif That's the problem with constantly switching up what I use on my hair!!!

OH Well!!! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

NAY007

lol, i wanted to run away from myself after i tried it. i could not stand the smell in my hair. i mean that vinegar did not leave my hair i guess. i had to wash it the next day.
i think you did it the right way from what i read on the board. and if your hair looked nice/shiny afterwards then that's it right there. keep doing it and see how it works for you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lindy

Yuck!! Does the ACV smell really stay in your hair, even if you do a deep conditioning afterwards????!!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif UH OH... maybe I WON'T be trying that...

Armyqt

BronxDiva said:
How often can you do a ACV rinse?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's okay to do with every wash. I would do one at least 1x per week. hth

Chipmunk

You should mix it w/5 parts water and 1 part vinegar. Then the smell won't linger. If you put too much vinegar you get stinky winky and the smell stays.

BronxDiva

How do you pour it on your hair. I almost went blind /images/graemlins/shocked.gif on Saturday when I did it /images/graemlins/grin.gif Also can you make it in advance being that ACV has a long shelf life if you store it in a cool dry place? I did 8 oz. of water and 5 tbl. spoons of ACV with no smell. /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

Armyqt

BronxDiva said:
How do you pour it on your hair. I almost went blind /images/graemlins/shocked.gif on Saturday when I did it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I put mine in a tupperware jug (think baby formula), and hold my head backwards and just pour making sure I get it on my roots as well as the length.

Crysdon

Nay007,

Don't give up so soon. Try it again. Jade21 has a mixture that I use and it works perfectly and doesn't leave your hair smelling like vinegar. Her formula is 2 tablespoons for every 8oz (1 cup) of water, preferably distilled.

sweetcocoa

First of all, you have to dilute it(you'll have to find a mixture that works for you...I use 1/4 cup to a gallon of water). I rinse with this, apply my conditioner, then for my final rinse I use plain water(distilled water for me personally). If you use too much it will make your hair so hard and dry! If I want to use it as my final rinse I mix only about 3-4 tablespoons in a gallon of water. Most of the time I do it before I condition.

daviine

BronxDiva...back in the days, I used to leave mine in the fridge except that I made mine with herbal infusions instead of water.

So to answer your question, yes you can make it ahead of time.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:
Kitkat,

I did not dilute the ACV. Was I suppose to dilute it with water?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most definitely, Sbaker. Acidity in your hair is good but too much can be damaging. I use a ACV rinse as my final rinse every time I wash my hair, and I don't even put 1/4 cup in a gallon of water. More like 1/4 cup in 2 gallons of water. My argument is any acidity is better than none and better safe than sorry so I put very little. I also add a few drops of rosemary essential oil and lavendar essential oil. So instead of a vinegar smell, I get a more herbal smell.

Someone asked how you pour it on your head. I don't. I make the mixture in a basin and submerge my head in there. (A bucket could work just as well if your hair is long and you'd rather it hang straight down.) I give my scalp a good massage while my head is in the solution, dislodging any residue that could clog pores. I usually use cool water so it's a very refreshing feeling, and my scalp tingles when I'm done.