APL & Longer Relaxer T/U ???

Did you acheive length without stretching?

• Yes, I touched up every 6 to 8 weeks without breakage.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No, stretching is the only way I have retained my length.

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malice

I know this has probably been discussed (sorry) but I seem to find the answers sporadically and random, and I'd like a more pin-pointed answer only from women who have surpassed APL with relaxed hair.

Is there any of you that achieved your length without stretching your relaxers? In other words, you relaxed your hair every 6 to 8 weeks and it did not hinder your length acheivement. If so, is your staple relaxer Lye, or no-Lye?

Thanks in Advance.

dlewis

I stretch 8-10 weeks normally but I'm starting to stretch until 1" of growth, which is what I use to do and changed. Stretching to long causes me to have breakage.

I may be wrong but don't all relaxers have lye in it?

Determined22

dlewis said:
I stretch 8-10 weeks normally but I'm starting to stretch until 1" of growth, which is what I use to do and changed. Stretching to long causes me to have breakage.

All relaxers have base in them, but lye is sodium hydroxide or potassium hyrdoxide, which are very strong bases. No lye relaxers use other bases (calcium hydroxide is one, but there are others.)

dlewis

Determined22 said:
All relaxers have base in them, but lye is sodium hydroxide or potassium hyrdoxide, which are very strong bases. No lye relaxers use other bases (calcium hydroxide is one, but there are others.)

Thanks, I'm still not sure what that means but thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.:)

Malice

Very pretty updo!

Yes, Determined is right in her explanation. And you'll see the labeling on any and every relaxer indicating if it's Lye or No-lye. And the major difference I notice between the 2 is the calcium (build-up) from No-Lye, in my experience is also more drying. Lye is stronger and many people experience scalp burning from the strength (though I haven't), I noticed my hair held moisture better after switching to Lye as well.

I'll be 6 weeks post this weekend and I'm torn between just going ahead with the touch-up and wearing it straight (which I'm really itching to do) or getting some type of roller set and stretching it out. My healthy hair conscience is telling me to stretch it to 10 and my wanna look sleek hair conscience is telling me to touch up. I'm on a mission to remain weaveless and extensionless and for me putting my hair in a ponytail and bunning to me would cause more harm than good, (stress from the pony holder and such) Retaining my length is very important to me, I just don't want to compromise want I want my hair to look like in the process.

I remember a thread about achieving length without protective styling, and this question is an extension of that asking the length of time between touch-ups in a non-protective style regimen.

dlewis said:

Last edited:

texasgrl

I usually stretch to 11-12 weeks and find that the health of my hair is vastly improved in every way thickness, length, shine, health,ends moisture etc.:D . It works for me so I will continue to do it.

Malice

SerenityBreeze said:
I have been relaxing for the most part every 8 weeks average. I use Dudly Lye Mild Relaxer.

Thanks for your response, that's especially encouraging to me because Dudley Mild Lye is my relaxer as well and your length is about where I want it. My hair is about 2 to 3 inches away from APL, I feel once I get there I'll 'exhale' in my hair length journey.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I'm definately going to push for 8 at the least and in moments I can, push for 10.